• Page:

TOPIC: Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two

Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45547

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok it's time to try again this year and post my pics in the hopes that someone can help me determine the manufacturer of my beautiful molded mahogany outboard.

Here are a bunch of pictures (everything from really dirty as I found her in the horse barn to after her bath).

s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/tmeraw/Orphan%202/Just%20Orphan%202/

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45554

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Not really sure but.......the boat looks like a Mercury , and i am not talking about the O.B. HA HA HA HA HA

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45559

She's a molded veneer hull. Some builders of such watercraft were: Carver; Dunphy; Milo-Craft; Delta; Hult-Craft; Whirlwind; Wagemaker Wolverine; etc...

Also, firms such as US Molded Shapes and Industrial Shipping made hulls which were then sold to other firms. These firms then finished off the bare hull. Milo-Craft and Delta (both of Chicago) were such firms. The bare hulls were also sold to individuals.

I am not sure if Mercury Boat of Piru, California ever made molded veneer boats. Maybe. I know they made carvel plank on frame runabouts and utilities.

Andreas

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45560

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Andreas.... I could have saved you all that typing had I taken the time to set up my new thread with everything I do know(basically everthing you said). I just hoping that someone will see a huge similarity with a boat that they know or own.

I am already leaning towards Delta and maybe Milo and am pursuing it.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45568

MiloCraft and Delta were run by brothers. Last name "Fencl" or something like that.

Andreas

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45576

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
.T.: Recently I am leaning towards the "SLEEPING BEAUTY " nick-name
as Two of our Glasspar guys have bought Barn / Porch finds with their 59 & 61 G-3. ... The lines on your boat is also timeless..

I had given my Bob Speltz "Runabout Book Series" away to Fla library , But Vol IV had all the outboard stuff & Yes a chapter & listing on Molded plywood companies.... not sure on const , but
TROJAN another wood ( PENN) close to your region.

That trailer is unique & any Brand / location tag logo for that .?
My Chattanooga WheelBarrow company trailer was original to a Nashville built Glasspar..! Local suppliers would also be a Clue.!
If Texas trl , then Yellow Jacket a possibility... Course you are close to Canada, that may make more homework for you. .Part of the Hobby.. Was there any next door neighbors , or Across the street(?)
that kknew the owner , or usage of the boat.?? My estate sale in Jan, I talked to next door Lady when I got out of back yard, & she knew all about the brothers & damage to lower unit, why the boat was Parked, etc,,.

. You are close enough to the Clayton museum, I would submit a few of your pics, & let them do a Search or Research. !

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45579

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I was looking and studying the Bob Speltz's book last night also. I can't say it is either, but I was leaning strongly toward a Delta also.

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45582

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
The trailer I know about. It is one of the earliest Holsclaw's made. It has a Holsclaw sticker on the tongue and is so old it has small real glass lenses on the frame which were original lights.

I found info on the exact model which even included the tie-down bar which I have.(lost the link tho I think).

I never did think to talk to the neighbors and that is a great idea. It is only about 25 miles from here so I may take a drive some day soon. The people I purchased it from were really reluctant to provide me with the previous owners information.

I think I did provide pictures to the Clayton Museum but didn't get too far. A friend of mine has a Delta Hollywood but it is stuck behind a barn covered in stuff and the cover has long since disintegrated and is most likely got water in it etc.....BUT I need to get a detailed look at it and if the construction of the transom/keel/knees etc are similar will need to get up under the deck to see if it has the same aluminum sn tag.

Stay tuned.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45607

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Have no idea who built the boat but I can name her: "Orphan Annie"

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 6 months ago #45632

Fantastic lines. Love the long foredeck.

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 5 months ago #50675

• knots
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have the same 1956 Holsclaw trailer and also had reproduction serial number decals made.

woodyboater.com/barn-finds/norm-marions-excellent-adventure/

knots

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 5 months ago #50676

• knots
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 5 months ago #50683

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
My guess would be a Delta Holiday. they came in three basic designs, open and two were twin cockpits. Pretty much the same waterline as your picture. I believe the center control was in their design.
www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=LG0911-117244

This boat was redesigned and an inboard Crosley engine replaced the outboard. My friend custom built everything including the windshields, trailer, and chrome goodies but you can still see the basic Delta design alont with the shift position and steering wheel and inside bump railing.

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 5 months ago #50720

Maybe a '59 Delta Skiboat 14-6 model. This is an image of the '59 Delta brochure snagged off ebay awhile back:
Attachments:

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 5 months ago #50968

I agree with Andreas with the mention of U S Molded. I had one that my dad ordered direct from the factory as a kit back in the late 50's. It had similar lines and I had it until the early 90's. I am looking for a picture, but haven't run across one yet.
Bill

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 2 months ago #56113

I have 1957 Delta Tempest full Lapstrake as well as the original 1957 sales brochure. In 1957 they made three models; Seamate 15'6" beam amidship 72" fordeck 68" and Hollywood 16"6" beam amidship 78" foredeck 72" and Tempest 17'4" beam amidship 83" foredeck 67". The Tempest came in two models, outdrive and outboard. None of these models had twin cockpits, bench seat in back and buckets up front and open much like a utility between. Could be a Milocraft as both Delta and MiloCraft were using the same hull supplier of molded plywood hulls.

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 2 months ago #56115

If you have access to a scanner, we would love to have images of the 1957 Delta Boats brochure to add to the Delta page in the Library:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Delta_%28Illinois%29

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 2 months ago #56120

Hi, I'd like to contribute but my scanner is 8.5 x 11 and the brochure is a bit bigger. I can go to kinko's and have them scanned to the correct size. I'll send you scanned images when I have them.

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 2 months ago #56129

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Milo and Delta had that "bull nose" on the bow similar to Chris Craft Holidays and other models of that ilk. Don't know if both Milo and Delta had the Cutwater, that may be a clue. The two tone deck says factory rather than a home built kit using a factory molded hull. Speltzes book has many pictures but darn if I know where I hid mine.
Randy

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 2 months ago #56146

I have software that can "stitch" together overlapping images- if you take two scans of the page with an overlapping area the resulting images can be combined into one. Either I can combine the images or you can try out the software yourself: Microsoft ICE research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/ice/

Re:Name This Beautiful Orphan - Round Two 12 years 2 months ago #56151

Here is the 1957 Delta Brochure (two sides) Also have 1957 TeeNee trailer brochure if interested...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7285 guests and one member online