• Page:

TOPIC: What paint to use?

What paint to use? 12 years 10 months ago #32012

• stashm2
  • stashm2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I am in the process of stripping down and refinishing my little Utility Racer, What paint would be best to use for the white sides and black number? I want it to be simple to apply and look decent. Thanks for any input.
Jesse
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 10 months ago #32013

The white part I used interlux brightside, roll or spray. I believe they may have black as well.
Attachments:

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 10 months ago #32020

Any quality marine paint intended for wood is acceptable. I happen to really like paint by George Kirby, Jr. Paint Co. of New Bedford, Mass. Family run operation that has been in businsess since the 1840s. Yup, the 1840s, not 1940s.

Telephone them, do NOT email them They have a website and email address, but they don't monior them. Pick up the phone and call.

Andreas

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 10 months ago #32063

Well I might get slammed here but you can use 100% acrylic latex.I built a Harold "Dynamite" Payson Pointy Skiff about 3 years ago and the paint is holding up fine.Check out this article for more info.
www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html

And here's a pic of "Sparrow"
Attachments:

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 10 months ago #32068

I use Interlux Brightside and have had good luck. It is easy to use and lays out real nice. I would be surprised if they don't have black. One advantage is most bigger boat dealers have it on hand. I have a color chart from Kirby and plan on trying in the future. A company that has been around that long must be doing something right.
Bill
Attachments:

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 9 months ago #33042

I've just finished painting my SeaMac with Kirby, high gloss. She's still not ready for the water yet but I'm loving the look.
Attachments:

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 9 months ago #33148

I think black will only give a perfect look...

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 9 months ago #34646

Now the Sparrow is looking nice..What do you do finally?

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 9 months ago #34665

I been working on just that question What paint to use

Well I may not answer the question, however before painting on a ply boat I have found that covering the boat with CPES "Clear Penetrating Epoxy Seale" is a must

After spending over 100 hrs repairing and prepping my boat I wanted something that would make my time not be wasted. I spent hrs on the net and phone and talking to people.

Over 90% told me that I could not go wrong with CPES...(the others have not used it and knew nothing of it)

Not cheap however my time is not ..... Jamestown is the easiest/cheapest place for me to get it...

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1268&familyName=Smiths+Warm+CPES+Epoxy

Look under As a primer on wood

www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

CAVU

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 9 months ago #34674

I don't remember what type I used but for sure didn't skimp on it. Got it from Antique Boat Center and then 4 or 5 coats of brightside.

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 9 months ago #34736

I just got done refinishing my '59 G3... i used Awlgrip (Off-white color). When it came back from the paint shop, I wasnt 100% happy with the finish, which you could see a slight orange-peel texture, and a few fish eyes.

The thing I REALLY liked though, was that without much effort, I was able to wet sand and polish it with excellent results. I first used 1500 grit, then finished it with 2000 grit... I did the wet sanding by wrapping the paper around a carpenter's pencil and sanding in straight strokes, using plenty of water. When I was done, I took it back to the painter who buffed it out... it came out beautiful, smooth as glass.

Because I can work with Awlgrip like this... and get the near perfect finish, I am sold on it. In the future though, I would just use the roll and tip method (saving the cost of having it sprayed by the paint shop) to lay down the paint and then wet sand and buff it myself.

Oh yeah... one other thing... i put a few nicks in the paint during the reassembly of the boat. I dabbed on a bit of Awlgrip, let it set and then repeated the wet sanding and polished by hand. You can't tell they were ever there.

So for what its worth... I like Awlgrip.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:What paint to use? 12 years 9 months ago #34783

Definately use Interlux Brightsides white and black. Both urethane based so chemistries won't conflict. Or you also might want to consider calling Infamous Graphics in Colonie and get a price for some stick ons. Probably the same as a quart of Brightsides black will cost, and the lettering will be perfect.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)