TOPIC: Help Me Name the Orphan

Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30301

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,

I believe I tried this here last year but lets give it a go again.

I have not been able to identify this boat since I found it about this time last year in a barn and did try hard last year in various forums. I also have done nothing with it besides put it on another trailer and covered it up. Will get back to it soon. BTW..in case you were wondering...$600 and totally original including the two merc tanks and a pair of wooden Wagemaker water skis that didn't looked used along with a twine ski rope with wooden handle etc. See if you can see the brass train whistle attached to the beautiful Kainer steering wheel.

I am going to take the Mark 55 down to Tim Calmes as soon as I can to go over the motor that I almost had started before the starter kicked the bucket.

But in the mean time here are some more pics before and after it's bath.

s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/tmeraw/JUST%20Orphan%202/

Thanks,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30303

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
it is funny that it has a Chris Craft bull nose on the bow.
I would say Milo Craft or even Carver. I am not sure if Chris Craft produced these shake and bake ply boat hulls. No ID plate anywhere on it? No paperwork came with the boat?

Reason I say Carver is it has the transom of a carver commodore and the reason I mentioned Milo Craft is because of the rich features of the boat.

Regardless of who made it.....sweet find gonna be a real sweet ride!!!

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30305

Didyou try garwood or peterson out of canada I seem to remember the stern knee braces from a boat when I was younger. I will take a look through some of my old pic for you to see if anything comes up Skip.

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30309

Send pic to Antique boat center and I believe they could tell you. Address to Joel in rest dept.

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30339

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I got pretty excited last summer when a response on some forum (who was a yellow jacket guy) mentioned to look up under the deck on the keel? I was also missing the key for the original green controls btw. and when I crawled up there I not only found the little merc key in some dirt after my wash but also saw a small aluminum plate...actually part of one as the bottom half was gone with some part of numbers....cant remember but it was something like S75N. Someone responded that it was common for a quality control person to tag a boat after inspecting with a tag.

I can certainly take the tarp off and look at it again if someone thinks it will help.

The closest I have ever found in my searches based on pics of boat interior(with the double cockpit lined by the round trim..and the knees on the transom) was a Century Sportsman but the Century Club owner said that they never made a cold-molded mahogany ply boat so my hopes were dashed.

I'd love to give a name to this beauty but if not it will still be a beauty.

My next Quest without that important info is to how the heck to get a registration for it here in NY. I do have some hints at going to the Parks Dept or something?

Whatever.... I just really need to get the time to do the VERY little work on this to get it restored.

I can always worry about registration later.

Funny thing it was registered as per the numbers on the hull at one time but this stupid state cannot tell me anything about it.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted when I get to it.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30341

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
As far as the Reg goes I would find the cheapest wooden boat I could find with a registration and use that.I have never seen the water police check the reg on a older boat with a adult at the helm. All they want to see is numbers on the hull with the properly dated stamped sticker.They may look at the reg to see that is in your name but not actually look for a hull vin number and mfg which in your case is non existant to begin with.

Or spend countless hours at the DMV pounding your head against the nearest wall.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30345

Would it be possible to register as "Home Built" since there is no serial number or name plate. The last runabout I had before my Thompson was one my dad built back in '59. In Wisconsin I had no problems registering it, but I had the paperwork from my dad registering it. The idea about the "donor" boat is probably a good idea. The boat is a beauty and good luck.
Bill
Attachments:

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30393

These are images from the 1956 Delta brochure and were posted on ebay a long while ago:
Attachments:

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30398

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Now that is a pretty close candidate. Many many similarities....but for the back deck at the motor well is squared off here but mine kinda sweeps in from the gunwalls. I will have to do some more research on the Delta Hollywood.

Thanks Andy

Yep...here is one...very similar. Wish I could see more of the stringers/knees/transom.

www.antiqueboat.com/boatdetails/10090-O15.aspx

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Help Me Name the Orphan 12 years 11 months ago #30446

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
B.F. I see four members in the ACBS directory that have DELTA runabouts, two 15 ft , & two 16 ft if you need to write them .

Here is the MUSEUM link . On LEFT column , or upper right , Archive , " SUBMIT A REQUEST " should confirm your search id .
ENJOY www.abm.org/collections.asp

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5681 guests and 2 members online