Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions?

Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15301

• retro54
  • retro54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

My father and I are restoring this 1956 Lyman runabout and are ready to re-paint the hull. As you can sort of see from the pictures, the hull wears its original coat of white and what we think to be 1 repaint. The hull is just not all layered up with paint which is nice.

We have scraped the hull and lightly sanded it, and what we have is a coat of original white strongly adhered to the planks. now we don't want to stip the hull down to bare wood.

Our questions are..

1) what should we use to seal the bear wood spots? some sort of appoxy sealer? or a good wood primer? (none of the wood is soft)

2) what should we use for the white paint?

Now my father grew up with his dad running wooden boats on the river and we are sure that he didn't use anything special in the yearly or by-yearly painting ritual. Today you can look through a west system cataloge and find $90 gallons of white marine paint, but we just don't think that you need to over engineer a job like this. We are not trying to be cheap, but we just don't want to go over kill. We are almost inclined to buy a great exterior grade of oil-based primer and a great exterior grade oil0based white paint and get the job done. What do you all think about this?

and question #3...

The lyman boat has planks which are attached to the oak ribs with slightly counter sunk philips head screws. These were originally filled with a putty like compound prior to painting... this is wore away in some places and just simply needs replacedin others... ALL screws and nails are nice and tight by the way... what would be an equivilent putty in today's materials? We are just looking for suggestions for some sort of material to fill in these heads and get it ready for paint... any suggestions?

I know these questions may not be easy, but just looking for good common sense and good experiences with similar situations.. Thank you in advance for your time and insight. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys will suggest.

Thank you!

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15329

Restoring Lyman boats is my main hobby, but I also enjoy classic glass. Anyhow, my approach to hull finishing is to remove as little paint as possible. I'll fill any of the putty that's loose around the screws and nailheads with WEST system epoxy thickened with fairing compound. I like Interlux Pre-Kote as a primer, followed by Interlux Brightsides Blu Glo White. If you are going with an original look, Lyman used an almost flat paint on their small boats in the 50's, but I like the glossy look The interior was originally painted below the bilge clamps with Lyman Sand Tan, a color that is still avaialable through Sandusky Paint Company, Sandusky OH. Above the bilge clamps the inside of the planking, and the ribs were varnished.

Good luck with your project, and keep the pics coming. Bob

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15345

For bottom paint on my wood boats I use Pettit Hard Racing Copper Bronze.

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15359

If the boat will be in the water all summer long, you want an anti-fouling paint. Copper bronze is a traditional bottom paint. If the boat will be trailered, don't worry about an anti-fouling paint. Just use the same topside paint for the entire hull.

I use Smith's Fill-It for filling up screw holes. Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES) is a good sealer for bare wood. In your case it appears as if a prime paint on the bare wood will be sufficient.

Use a good quality marine piant for the boat. There are many brands. $90.00 per gallon is a reasonable price. You will not need more than a couple of quarts for your boat. I personally really like the marine paints from George Kirby, Jr. Paint Company of New Bedford, Mass. Great company, great paint, family owned and been in operation since the 1840s. They only sell factory direct.

I assume you have visited the Lyman site and have advice from other Lyman owners.

Andreas

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15360

• retro54
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Crosby... but we are not intersted in using a bronze bottom paint... the boat will not be sitting in the water and total white is the wway we want to go...

Volero.. that sounds good... like you, we are intending to remove as little paint as possible, the original coats are adhered so well that there is no sense in striping them completly. That is interesting on the flat white vs. gloss white... I think my father might lean towards the gloss too.

Where do you purchase your supplys? Online or at a local store?

Thanks again guys!

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15361

• retro54
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Volero.. what kind of west system apoxy for filling the screw holes?

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15362

• retro54
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Andreas,

Thank you for your comentary as well. I was hoping you would suggest something! haha... Those sound like some other great products to use. I especially like the sounds of the Kirby Jr. paint company...

And yes, since we will be trailering, that is why we are not interested in the anti-fouling paint... White is the way to go.

And yes, we have been to the Lyman site as well... just thought I would ask here to see what you all think, it has appeared to me that there are some great hobbiests like yourselves here on the site and I value your experience!

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15364

• retro54
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15392

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
We just put my Dad's Lyamn in the water for the first time yesterday. We used the advice given here, www.lymanboat.com/default.html , to do the boat. You can use cheaper materials, but when all is said and done, you can't fault using the good stuff and you have to look at it as money saved as it will not need redoing in a very long time, if you did your part right. The amount of money saved, versus labor given, just is not worth it to me.

Re:Lyman bottom repaint...suggestions? 13 years 7 months ago #15465

I use West System 407 or 410 fillers for fairing screw holes. I have always been pleased with pricing and service from Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island. Also I have received excellent products/service/pricing from Merton's Fiberglass Supply, though they do not carry WEST system brand products. The WEST System web site has a wealth of information available for your review as well. Keep up the good work!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6758 guests and no members online