Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What Did I Buy

What Did I Buy 1 year 14 hours ago #147826

Hi, everyone! I picked up this boat last week. The previous owner said he thought it was a '62 Tollycraft Runabout.

I have been digging for days, and I can't find any images online of anything that looks remotely close to this boat. I know it's been painted, but has it maybe been redone into obscurity? Pretty sure the Taylor Made windshield got added later.

Maybe I just have a Frankenstein boat.

I love it either way, but if anyone can help ID it I would be grateful. Also looking to find out if that wood on top is just a veneer or if I can sand and refinish it.

Thanks, and nice to meet you all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What Did I Buy 1 year 9 hours ago #147827

Have you checked the Glassic Library here? You will see a link to it in the menu bar at the top of this page. There is a section on Tollycraft in there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Taylor Made winshield is original. I think they were used on most small boats back in the day. I would also post pictures of the entire boat from different angles, not just pieces of the boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack77

What Did I Buy 11 months 3 weeks ago #147834

I agree with Doug. It all looks early 60's, and some full boat pictures would help. To me the deck looks like unstained Mahogany. It is plywood so you will want to be carefull with your sanding. It was probably bleached and covered with polyurethane judging by the lack of color. That is a harder finish but it doesn't flex with the wood or have any U V filters. It also does not adhere to the wood as well and tends to peel off, starting at the edges.
Bill

What Did I Buy 11 months 3 weeks ago #147836

Thank you both for the responses! I've attached a couple more pictures.

I can't find a single other image anywhere of a walk-through windshield on one of these Tollycrafts. Is it common to have a walk-through on a boat like this? To do what, walk out onto the top of the boat?

As I am sure is very obvious, I have never owned a boat. So I apologize for my lack of terminology. I would guess that is the stern, but even that is a guess.

Thanks!
Attachments:

What Did I Buy 11 months 3 weeks ago #147837

Also: I don't know boats, but I do know wood. So I'll get to removing that topcoat gently. What should I replace it with that WILL flex with the wood and offer UV protection? I will probably hit it with some oil-based stain first, so something that can sit on that, or something that will do both jobs. Unless stains are a horrible idea on boats.

What Did I Buy 11 months 3 weeks ago #147838

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I like the boat. The walk through windshield sure makes it easier to unhitch any line from the cleat. Sure beats trying to climb over.
Will be a fun fix-up.
Here's the link to the library

www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Tollycraft

What Did I Buy 11 months 3 weeks ago #147839

I found out after doing research on my 1959 Thompson that back then a lot of the boats were shipped from the factory pretty bare and the dealers finished them off with the hardware such as windshields and cleats, so almost anything is possible. As for the refinishing, find a filler stain at a boat dealership or good paint store. Mohagany is a good color choice, usually in a brown or red. This will match your trim, which to me looks like brown like my boat. This will give you a smoother finished product. It is more work but it is worth it. I think Interlux still makes one. What you need for varnish is Marine Spar Varnish. I have had good luck with some good middle of the road brands at about $30-$40 a quart.
Bill
Attachments:

What Did I Buy 11 months 3 weeks ago #147840

Man that explains a LOT (the factories slapping parts on). Well I'm glad to hear this thing isn't slopped together or some kind of "One Piece at a Time" situation.

Your boat is gorgeous. I love the exposed ribs. I wonder if I can do that to this thing. Less mystery and few places for rot or anything else to hide. And that color is fantastic.

Thanks for the tips. I'll start digging!

What Did I Buy 11 months 3 weeks ago #147841

Sorry a little late to this one. Great find. You can put stripper on to remove the finish, then light sand, restain and cover in Spar varnish asBill said. My Wagemaker Empire CLipper is glass hull and Mahogany PLy decking. I strippedn and restained mine with Interluc filler stain, then used 12 coats of Epifanes. The Epifanes is epensive though but you can actually build quicker 2 coats a day. I won't be using that on my Centuery Resorter thoguh. I'm probably going to go with the Petit Captains spar varnish, cheaper and most of the Century guys are using it. Herer's a few pics of the Wagemaker in proicess.

Bob
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)