Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Marine Plywood got wet - need help!

New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #124945

• Dr.Go!
  • Dr.Go!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
My drain pipe got plugged for the washer and back flooded about an inch of water in by basement. As Murphy's law would have it, I had my Plywood (4x8 cut into 2 pieces and stacked) on the flat floor with a flat table and weight on it to ensure it stayed flat before starting my transom laminating project. It likely was wet for a few hours before discovering the Oh-#### moment. I took it to the garage, towel dried the surfaces...no delaminating or noticeable swelling, but it was indeed warping. I placed it on the garage floor with lots and lots of weight on it after I covered it with other large pieces of thick/flat wood. A day or 2 later, I uncovered it all, checked for surface drying (it had been about 90 degrees or more in the garage for those days). It was surface dry in all spots but one. All the wood was good and flat again. I flipped everything and exposed that one section and re-weighted everything for a week at 85-90 degrees, but humidity around high 60, low 70. Should I even bother using this wood, or buy new and use this for NON-structure things? Should I bring it back into my house and put it on the dining room floor so that I can have it in the Air Conditioning and lowered humidity just below 50% and re-weight it again? Will it take a different drying method to ever be sure it dries inside through and through without waiting a year? I need good advice. I don't want the restoration to start out compromised. This boat needs to last so I can hand it down to my kids and grandkids.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dr.Go!

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #124947

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Good advice? Replace it. That will take care of all doubts.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #124949

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks - kind of thought so. That ensures the outcome I am looking for. Maybe I will use it for the backs of some boat seat frames that I would epoxy encapsulate, and then have an upholstery shop finish them off. Sometimes the best advice should have been obvious to me before I asked. Thank you for Expert advice as it is greatly appreciated!

Dr.Go!

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #124980

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Yes but I don't use marine grade,it will get resin inside and out,and I was told at some point the chemicals could come back and bite you, think about it if it last another 50 yrs and this 50 years will be treated better,,just my thoughts Bill

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #124992

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark, I'd take it back to where you bought it and tell them it doesn't float and you want your money back :) After all it is "marine" grade.
Murph's law seems to run around the state. Got home the other nite, admiral put in a load of wash and the machine fill cycle would not shut off, she did not notice it until water was soaking up the carpet. First floor laundry. Water was draining into the basement through the hole for the dryer vent. Fans are still running now.
Was that show in Tomahawk yet? or next weekend. Thinking about going if it's still in the future.

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #124994

Tomahawk is August 3-6, but many people are there for the whole week. Most have left by Saturday noon.

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #125054

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I see your point Bill. What wood would you use instead? (I do plan to oversize all transom holes and fill with epoxy so that smaller holes (that will also have seal as well)cannot reach any bare wood.

fastjohnII is right on it about the Tomahawk show. I will go to the show Thursday. I have my parts list in order. a few little things needed. Got a perfect match steering wheel for my 1958 Wilson last year (mine was weathered beyond repair). It was the only one like it I saw in the whole show...I was so happy you would have thought I just won a multi million dollar lottery. Never thought I would find one. Wish I could go for 3 days. Great people and great National show. How to see some Glassic Friends there!
Mark

Dr.Go!

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #125065

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark, will you be bringing a classic with you? Thursday is open for me. Wondering if I can drag the Tomahawk there and put a for sale sign on it.

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #125079

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I am here at Tomahawk now yes it is early but I like it that way,there is a for sale area as you come in on right,Mark I will talk to you about transom Thursday,My trailer is down past road on right,,there will be people there,,Make sure you go down to ramp and watch the little kids run the hydro planes,I have the areo glas with me it will be in building wed, Thursday,I load Thursday night and go to the acbs show in Madison Friday, c u Bill

Re:New Marine Plywood got wet - need help! 7 years 7 months ago #125103

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bill,

I will look you up in the morning so that I catch you before your day fills up and you have to pack out for Madison.

I have to finish making my "shopping list". For sure I need (2) 665 Airguide Tachs. I bought a 666 before doing detailed research and it is not for my motor). I will stop and see John McCintosh for some decals and maybe even another Merc shirt...I love those shirts he has! I also need to measure my rims for baby moon hub caps. I have one set of 12 inch with clips in original red. another set of 12" with the indent type, and a set of 8" with indent. You never know what you will find. I came ill prepared last time and forgot to measure things.

Cal - As Bill said, they have a place right next to the boat and motor display hockey arena building for boats on trailers for sale. Yours should catch everyone's eye. Can't beat having a Tomahawk back home in Tomahawk. I believe there will be a man there that used to work at the factory. I will look you up and try to introduce you if I see him.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat