Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Dunphy...with a twist!

1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117406

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
As I just got my 5th boat (all fiberglassics), it seems my dad has caught the bug. He has always wanted a nice old wood boat. He did, anyway. Now, he knows he doesn't have the time or desire, or even the physical ability to get in and out of the boat so easily as he would as a younger man.

Some time ago he acquired an old camelback drill press (for free) that he never used. He had a chance to trade the drill press with a friend for a 1959 Dunphy with a 58A Mercury.

So, we went today to get the old boat in the first snow fall of the season.
Seems the boat was not stored very well. We were very surprised to see the twist the hull had developed once we got it pulled out to a level spot on the driveway.

We know nothing about wood boats. We are wondering if this boat is worth restoring. Most of the deck is rotted, but the hull isn't that bad, as far as these eyes can tell. Can the twist be fixed or is this beyond hope?

The Mercury looks really nice, and is very clean.

We appreciate your comments and advice!
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117414

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Any boat can be repaired if you throw enough time and money at it. Your boat could be fixed but it would require a wholesale stripping and rebuilding. All of the strakes would need to be removed as well as all of the decking. Then the frame would need to be straightened with a lot of jacking and clamps, assuming it could be. Most likely, several of the framing members would need to be replaced. Since it would be down to the bare bones, it would be foolish not to replace the bottom....and then the strakes and topsides. Only thing left would be the transom and that should definitely be replaced too. The end result would be a 90% wood replacement...minimum.

From the perspective of a restorer, I can tell you that the work I have described would retail for somewhere between $25,000 and $30,000. As a hobbyist, it would most likely take you a couple years of spare time work to accomplish the restoration and a lot more money than you might think. You could build another boat from scratch faster...much faster and probably cheaper.

Bottom line: It's what my wife refers to as an "un-economical venture."

You asked for advice...Try to trade back for your drill press.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117421

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for your honesty. This is what we thought we might hear. We won't go get the drill press back. Remember, he didn't pay anything for that, and dad feels that going out in the snow with his son and three of his grandkids was worth the trade, just for the fun he had.

If the boat is dead, I will take the bow light (we found the flag mast) and rechrome it to use on my daughter's Larson All American. There are a few other bits of hardware that are worth keeping, and between all of that and the trailer, he can sell them cheaply and get more than he would have had he sold the drill press.

And we still have the motor to think about. We are told that it was in very good running condition, and it does look very clean. I think we will be fine just parting everything out, though I do like the look of those old Mercurys...maybe I need to find a boat to put it on...

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117422

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Now you're talkin'! Find a decent wooden boat that is structurally sound and only needs refinishing. Of course, there are many fiberglass boats that would love to provide a good home for the Merc...a lot less work and just as much fun. Check the Glassifieds and Ebay.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117425

Drb007,

I agree with Nautilus & would also tell you that there are LOTS of boats out there that are MUCH rarer than a Dunphy.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117437

Yeah cool boat but waaayyyy to much work for the return on investment or lack there of. If it had been in the family for a long time or something I'd say yes but it would strictly be for sentimental value. The motor is definitely worth it.

Bob

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117461

You can find boats in much better condition for very little money. This boat would require wholesale deconstruction, almost all new wood and reconstruction after jacking, etc... back into the correct shape.

Save all the hardware (not just the bow light). Maybe save some of the solid mahogany boards (plywood isn't worth anything). maybe the windshield frame......

Andreas

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117488

My friend who works at Mystic Seaport tells me that restoring an old wood boat is like building a new boat, with the old boat squarely in the way!
Agree with OP's this one's not a good choice to restore. Strip the hardware and have a bonfire.
Larry

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117498

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I had hoped to use the bow light with flag staff for my daughter's Larson All American, but I have already gotten quotes of $300 to rechrome it, if it can be saved. The shop is concerned that it may be too pitted to salvage.
:(

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117504

poor quality pot metal, yep, heard the same, from others considering the same, from their chromer.

Send this guy an email w/ a few pix. He's reasonable, IMO, and will likely offer a range of 3 or 4 prices based on how much prep and finish work plus level of chrome. He had me send him some cleats, and it didn't take long for him to shoot me a pricing schedule. Once I sent a deposit, it didn't take long for him to get them done and sent back to me.

Philip:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

He's outside Cinncinnati

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117523

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you!!

Re:1959 Dunphy...with a twist! 8 years 4 months ago #117530

It is a shame, but some of these old girls are beyond the point of no return. Now you know what to look out for and have an idea what you need to look for. This site is so great for help and information. Pay it forward and pass it on. That is the rule of thumb around here.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7273 guests and 2 members online