Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind

Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103415

Picked it up at the beginning of October...for $150! Full restoration almost done...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103436

Outstanding!!!!!! My fiend has a Whirlwind, not sure which model, it's need restoration.

Bob

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103437

oooh, contact him for me, I am always looking for another whirlwind project, this is my sixth...
This was the best deal yet, and the easiest restoration yet. It came disassembled, and 90 percent stripped, so it went really quick. It also came with all sorts of accessories, like beautiful oars, pennants, flagstaffs, a set of johnson controls, much of which I sold off, and for the first time ever, a boat restoration project is actually in the black, rather than a hole in the water in which to throw money! I mean, not serious money, but I am actually ahead a bit. This did not come with a trailer, but I had one that fits perfectly.

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103452

I'll ask but I don't think she wants to sell it.

Bob

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103454

Can't hurt to ask...
Show her these pics, or my facebook page, so she knows something real is going to actually happen with the thing, it WILL get restored...
Strangely enough, this one came from a female, too...

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103486

Do all the Whirlwinds that you have seen have a lower foredeck ?
I have one that has been customized.
The foredeck has been raise about 7"

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103487

Never seen that, but the first one I got had the windscreen raised with some pieces of wood, about six inches...the owner said the idea was he only wanted to use it with a bikini top, he did not like the sun, and the top was too low, so he built a platform to raise the headroom a bit for himself. First thing that happened when I got it home was all that went in the garbage...
I have only seen these with the foredeck like you see...but I am sure a few came with no foredeck at all, totally open fishing models...
Got pics?

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103491

I'll try to pull it out, and get some pics this weekend ?
It's suppused to rain most of the week

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103494

Looking forward to that. How big is it?

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103498

I think it's 13 or 14 ft ?

It looks to be 13'-6"+/- OAL 4'-10"+/- beam stamp on transom center knee is 3032

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103571

here are some pictures

this is where you can see the extended raised deck
Attachments:

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103572

Never, ever seen one from the factory like that. I think someone modded it. Also...from the side picture...you can see forward where the paint is missing, like that new upper structure is seperating from the original hull. The mods have killed the look of the boat, in my opinion, and I would strip that all off...but first, I would sand back some of the wood on the exterior of the original hull and see what it looks like, if it is going to varnish up OK, because to me, unless you have a varnished mahogany hull on these, it's not really worth putting a lot of effort into it...strange piece you got there!

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103577

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Charles, I really like the looks of your boat. I had an old cabin cruiser that had that same look. i'll see if I can find a picture of it. can not wait to see it fixed up. nice boat wish it was closer, then I would try to buy it from you. greg.
Attachments:

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103586

Oh,I hate what was done here, it destroys the lines of the Whirlwind...but I think the hull can take the weight and higher COG, no reason why you could not sail it, I think...bet it looks even dumpier with the top up!
Again...my first whirlwind had a similar, but less nicely-done conversion, which I removed, which was totally transformative...

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103653

Well, I'll tell you... Where, when, and whomever made the modification ? They did a real good job. The upper wood is not separating from the original molded hull. The paint is just flaking off. It also looks like There is a little delaminating plys on the mod. I'm going to see what happens when I strip and sand it.

As for the COG ? it is higher. bucause when you turn that thing, it feels tippy, because it rolls pretty quick, then stops.

May I ask, what Mahogony stain you used on yours ?

Re:Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103654

No doubt, someone did a nice job on the conversion itself, much nicer than mine was...
With stripping...the top is not going to match the rest of the hull, but you can probably think of a paint trim scheme that involves painting that upper part...
COG will be higher, but I think the boat could handle it...but you will be missing that really smart handling that whirlwinds have, you can throw the wheel hard over at just about any speed with no ill effects...but even with your extra weight, it will still probably handle better than many other boats out there...
On my newest...no stain at all. It's just the natural mahogany covered by Cabot brand spar varnish, nothing more.
I have stained one or two of them with Minwax Red Mahogany...and in the end, decided it did not really make things look better. What I would do is after stripping, varnish a small section and decide if you like the way it looks, the wood varies from boat to boat.

Re: Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103677

That is one sweet boat, congrats

Re: Easytiger Models new 1956 Whirlwind 9 years 3 months ago #103678

It was also probably the EASIEST restoration i have ever done...everything came dissassembled, and mostly stripped of varnish.
All the hardware was off the boat, and bagged with the appropriate fasteners...
And lots of extras...just found a neat anodized bilge pump, with a clip to hold it on...
The yellow storage bags, took a while to figure out what they were for, then I found the snap fasteners to attach them, and the holes on the backs of the seats where they went...
great idea, those, practical and add a bit of color, too...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5696 guests and no members online