TOPIC: 1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah

1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #46184

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Folks,
I joined awhile back but haven't added anything or even posted until now. I am an avid boater and love the older boats and motors. I don't think I will ever own anything new as it just isn't my style. Anyway I have a few boats to post in here. One is a project and one is in the water and I am slowly working on it as I use it but it doesn't need much.

The first boat is a Rare green 1976 Arrow glass Cheetah. An open bow Tri Hull boat with it's original Chrysler 135 OB on the transom. I found this boat on Craig's list and it was only a few miles up the road from where I live. I went to look at the motor originally for my girlfriends Bayliner but after seeing the boat I pretty much fell in love with it's style and color. I love antiques and anything old and this boat was me all the way. So after talking to the guy I pulled it home.

The hull is in great shape along with the motor. The boat set in a barn for 20 years or so and the barn had a hole in the roof so it leaked right into the boat and rotted the floor. Suffice to say the deck and stringer's are toast along with the transom being weak. I was just happy to get it and will over time fix what is needed. I have been talking to a fellow that used to work for Arrow glass back in the seventies and he told me that he had only ever seen one example of this boat roll off the assembly line in Green.

And also with the Chrysler 135 on it which is the max rated HP for this boat that also is another factor to add to it's rarity. They didn't make any of these in Green but yours possibly. Could be the only one in this color known for a 76 Cheetah. I got a real good deal on it and the motor is in great shape. Compression is 150 on all 4 cylinders. I have already rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, new head gasket, fuel lines, re-sealed the gear case and installed a new water pump impeller and all related parts.

The main issue are stringers and deck and of course I will need seats and cushions but thats small stuff there. In time I will get her done and then it will be a great boat. I'm sure that Chrysler will make her get up and go. I talked to the man's mother and she was remembering how her and her dad would go out in the boat in the lake and ride around back in the day and how fast the boat would go. She said man that baot would really move on the water and said she had a lot of good times on it.

It's going to take me some time to get her done but she is paid for and the motor is in great shape. I got a tilt/trim unit off ebay so that will be a nice plus when I get her going. But it's a nice boat and will look great once again after she gets restored. So that's my project boat and I will post another on the other boat I got.

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #46200

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good "barn find", would have been great if the roof hadn't sprung a leak, huh. Super clean Chrysler, wait till Doug (classicfins) gets a look at that, he's gonna love it. :P

Mark

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #46228

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
if you look closely at my avatar here, 15' Javelin..Arrowglass
max HP is 100hp, currently powered by Mercury 50hp.

Enjoy that Arrow, I have ... I was lucky to find mine; the previous owner picked up and didn't like its size, so he sold it.(me) I contacted the seller who had sold it to them...found out it was in his wife's family and had sat in a garage for like 10 years before he got it..... boat is solid...the seats were original but were usable bit had a couple major tears and the wood was starting to rot out...so i tossed them and bought new... threw in some new gauges along with carpet and she looks great ... at least to me !

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #46247

• Nick
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Matt,
Yep you got a good looking boat from what I can see of it. Do you have any more pics of the interior and dash, bow area? I'd like to see some good close up pics. Something about Arrow glass boats I really like them a lot. I guess thats why I have two of them in the boat collection. They are good quality boats and made well. I know a fellow that worked for Arrow glass as a tester for 20 years or so.

He would take the new boats and run them in the water and go over jumps and put huge motors on the transom and try to sink them and all sorts of things. He had a great job. He is loaded with information and always full of info. Anyway the AG boats always came out on top of the other boats for being built better.

I went and looked at another AG boat for sale a few months back but it was just too far gone. Someone had shot some paint on it but the rest of it was wasted. Even the trailer was about gone and I couldn't see pulling that boat anywhere on that trailer. It could be fixed up and repaired but it needs a lot. So I left it where it set and said I don't need another project. Thank god the Cobra is rock solid and was well taken care of. Not even the slightest rot anywhere and all pretty much intact.

I haven't really seen your model so thats why I want to see some more pics of it. It's exciting to run across an old boat for sale especially if it's been taken care of and not abused. Some folks run across some real gems and the condition is unbelievable for a boat that old. I wish the Cheetah didn't have the rotten deck and stringers but then I wouldn't have gotten it for 600 bucks if it were in better shape.

The motor is in excellent condition as you can see. I couldn't believe how clean it was when he took the hood off. The paint still looks new in places. It's going to be a good runner but also going to drink some fuel but oh well it will be fun. I never had a Chrysler outboard and with a 135 it should roar. I see them for sale here and there but I don't see many a 135 around. I have seen a few Cheetah's in better condition for sale but this boat is Rare.

I hope this coming spring to dig it out of the garage and start to work on it. At least the hull is in great shape along with the motor. All I need is stringers and a deck and maybe some transom work and she will be good to go. I hope to use some seacast or whatever its called in the transom and that would save me a lot of work. I don't think stringers are that big of a deal but I have never done that before so Id like someone with experience to do it.

Anyway this is a good group with lots of nice boats. I'm going to read some more and look at some more boats...

Nick

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #46274

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Try this link and see... i probably have pics as of now but these would be what it looked like original...

lockport-illinois.olx.com/1977-javelin-arrowglass-with-outboard-mercury-2-stroke-50-horse-4cyl-motor-iid-7186920

one thing I liked about mine too was it sits low, i can easily reach over and touch the water ...
I have an 85hp here at the house that I thought about re-powering it with, and I know where there is a 90 tower close by too, that I thought about getting to re-power also...

I will look around on my computers for some of my pics as now...if look on the pic in the link the stripe down the side is gone...I ended up picking up Automotive striping just to 1/2 @ss put something on it so it wasn't so blah... so i put on the white on hull, and I also put a set of stripes up on the deck....

Matt in Illinois

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #46294

• Nick
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yep thats a good looking boat I like it. With the 50 you will get good fuel economy and decent speed. The Mercury Tower of Power is tempting. I got one on another boat, a 115 and I love it. It loves to drink the fuel though but it's an impressive looking motor and makes a lot of noise which I don't mind. It has tons of torque to get up and go. Just depends on what you need and if you got the need for speed or just wanna cruise around. It's nice to have a few boats though as then you can take one out depending on what you want to do.

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #46413

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
thank you... I also have an 85hp in garage that would be a good candidate too...but as you mentioned I have been looking around for another boat, more of a project one, closed bow something well for more of cruiser and go fast...

enjoy your Arrow glass and glad to a fellow forum member with one, thought I was a lone owner on here!

:S :ohmy: :P :laugh: B) :woohoo:

Matt in Illinois

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #46996

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
something else the boat has the original skirt that cover the storage area under the splashwell, embossed with the Arrowglass insignia!

Matt in Illinois

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #47021

• Nick
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Your lucky you still have that and with the Arrow glass motif embossed on it. I have the skirt on the Cobra in real good shape but it doesn't have the Arrow Glass motif embossed on it. I wish it did and would like to find one but it may take a very long time if I ever find one...

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 12 years 5 months ago #47116

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
if i get a chance I'll try and see if I can get a pic of it... embossed / stamped

Matt in Illinois

Re:1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah 2 years 11 months ago #144184

I just bought a 76 cheetah that’s using a Volvo penta 170. How much water does it take to run. How deep I guess I should say.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)