Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Critchfield Runabout Restoration

Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42659

Hello. I am currently getting ready to start a restoration on an old late 60's early 70's Critchfield Marine Runabout. it's a low slung fast looking 16 footer, very cool boat. however, I can't find anything on this runabout, the title was lost years ago and nothing on critchfield marine in orlando Florida, I have the ID tag info but no pics atm. I did find Critchfield Marine located in Jacksonville Florida on the web but no website or contact info if it even is the same company.

here is the ID tag info if anyone would know how or where I could find info on it?
Manufactured by Critchfield Marine, Orlando Florida
serial # 9 4370 025( with spaces)
max REQ hp 125hp
max capacity 4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42662

The company is probably long gone out of business. It seems that 90% of the boats out there waiting to be restored are orphans. Hopefully some information about your boat is available.

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42674

Hi,
Yes, it is the continuation of the company. They have been located in Jacksonville for a number of years now.
Although I remember the likely boat you have, I cannot think of a brochure or specifications to share with you presently.
I do think that the "9" is for 1969. Which would also coincide with the largest production outboard being a Mercury 1250 (125 horsepower) for that year, and thus likely the horsepower rating.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42675

• JBOw
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yager,
Bill Critchfield it seems built quite a few boats for racing back in the 1960's. He and his son were well known for building and racing some very fast boats in the 60's and early 70's. Somewhere about 68 or so he started his own boat building business in Orlando building boats under the name Scat-Craft. Not sure why but it seems his business did not last but a few years and was eventually bought by the family that now builds Regal Boats still today. I beleive his son was working in Jacksonville about that time frame as well and may be who built your boat. Sadly his son lost his life in a boat racing accident i beleive in the 70,s. I own a Scat-Craft boat myself and have never seen another one. I have done extensive research myself and have found almost no information on Mr Critchfield or Scat-Craft boats. Most of what I was able to find was some things that were wrote about the Critchfields on another boating forum by people who knew them. Check out the forum Scream and Fly and do a search on Bill Critchfield. You might even ask some of the guys over there and find some more info on your boat. If you do come up with anything please let me know what you find. Also I would love to see some pics of your boat. Good luck, Jack
Attachments:

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42678

• JBOw
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ran out of space :laugh: I included a few pics of my boat. It is a 1970 and it is rated at 125 HP. The pic with the Lark on it was when I bought it. I have since swapped that out for a 115 Merc.

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42683

Hi,
On a hunch, I looked at a 1969 Mercury Quicksilver Accessories brochure we have, and found this Critchfield boat that I was thinking of on the Power Trim page.

Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42705

• JBOw
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Great Post Joe. I luv seeing this old this stuff.

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42741

wow Joe that brochure is exactly what this one looks like, except mine is red :) and from what I was told today, this boat is a 1968 model, I don't know if that would be correct or not.anyway, getting the year right is a big issue in locating restoration parts.

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 12 years 6 months ago #42772

Hi,
It could be that if it was built somewhere between June and December of 1968, that it is indeed a 1969 model. Still an educated guess.

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:

Re:Critchfield Runabout Restoration 2 years 10 months ago #144410

My father bought the 14 in 1968 and kept it for 35 years and gave it to me. I gave it a new transom,floor and a Merc 1988 115 new in box .72 mph with a 26" chopper . Boat was originally purchased at Mcloud Marine in either destin fla or Mississippi, I cant remember ,I was very young, and now I'm 65 . We used it in the gulf and visited Horn Island of the coast of Gochea Miss. Cant remember how to even spell that town, but were there for Hurricane Camile

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)