Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steering Advice for '73 Conqueror

Steering Advice for '73 Conqueror 2 years 8 months ago #144888

Hello everyone. I am new here and must say that I love this collection of boats & boat folks! I have a 1964 Craig Spitfire and my brother has a 1973 Chrysler Conqueror. The steering cable on the conqueror is shot. The boat sat in a barn for 15 years and it is stuck. We got it moving some but it's still tough and this will only lead to its failure so we're looking for an appropriate replacement. Most cables that I see seem to be for a more modern rack system or a modern rotary system. This boat has a rack system where the rack mounts behind the dash and has a big nut to hold it onto the dash. There's a trim piece to cover where it pokes out, and the wheel has a shaft * pinion on it that goes through, into the rack. The cable enters one end of the rack where it has a grooved piece that is clamped into place by a clamp built into the housing, and the movable piece goes through a cylindrical rack and has a nut on the end. The engine end looks like how one would expect to see it. We removed the cable from the boat and can see the old MARMAC name on it and it says 13'. I saw on a post by someone else here that he got a teleflex cable to work on his '78 conqueror but I'm not sure if that has the same steering design or not. The closest thing that I've been able to find by teleflex so far is called: TFXtreme 3300/33C which looks like it may have the right groove to fit this rack but I'm not sure? We'd be willing to replace the rack if we knew what would fit / mount with this dash without modifying it and while using the stock wheel, trim, etc. Attached are photos of what we have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)