Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1974 Boston Whaler - What Do I Do?

1974 Boston Whaler - What Do I Do? 6 years 4 weeks ago #135753

• amreame
  • amreame's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I picked up a 11'4 Whaler last weekend for what I thought was a good deal, but when I got it home and cleaned it I found a ton of spider-cracks. There are two that are pretty deep and the rest are just surface cracks.

My question is, being this is a foam filled hull, do I need to fix these immediately or can I run it for a year or two before I tear it down? The hull doesn't have any water in it and my fear is water will somehow make it to the foam and this 150 lb boat will be 1000 lbs.

My original plan was to redo the teak (replace or refinish) and call it good, just using it on some small lakes are Northern Michigan when camping.

Attached are some pictures.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3
[Building] 10' Glen-L Squirt

1974 Boston Whaler - What Do I Do? 6 years 4 weeks ago #135754

• amreame
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Forgot the question!

Do you guys think I'm ok to run it as is or should I start the resto process early?

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3

1974 Boston Whaler - What Do I Do? 6 years 4 weeks ago #135757

The last thing you want is wet flotation foam....You already know that. Where are the cracks located? If say the deck roll some roofing sealant on it for the time being until you have the time to do it right with Glass Cloth and resin.

Good luck either way....nice little boats. I have a friend that has a 15 ft Center console jet boat.

Karsten

1974 Boston Whaler - What Do I Do? 6 years 4 weeks ago #135758

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ditto. if you are in the UP make sure there are no open cracks in the floor area. Freeze/thaw cycles open these cracks and let water into the foam area. If the boat feels light on the trailer you are probably lucky. A quick coat of glass resin on the deck put on with a paint brush would guarantee no compromise for the season until next fall when you get a chance to work on it. Enjoy the coming summer with it and get a feel of how she runs.

1974 Boston Whaler - What Do I Do? 6 years 4 weeks ago #135764

• amreame
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the replies! I'm located near Grand Rapids, MI and the boat is stored in a garage when not in use so I won't have any issues with weather. I've attached another image showing some of the cracks.

Most of the cracks are on the floor and the creases around the floor. The transom is strong and there aren't any soft spots so I'm guessing it was just beat up a bit.

I think I'll patch the 2 or 3 largest cracks and save the rest for later, unless the picture gives you guys some hesitation.
Attachments:

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3

1974 Boston Whaler - What Do I Do? 6 years 4 weeks ago #135765

The hole in what looks.appears to be the side wall is most likely a Scuffer Drain and if so don't plug that. As for the rest of the cracks...that is some serious Gel Coat Cracking and it looks deep enough to get into the Glass below and let water seep in. I am sure I have seen a roll on deck anti slip coating that seals the cracks as well as gives some grip to the feet.

Just not finding it right now.

This might be something that would work for you.

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=56089&familyName=KiwiGrip+Non-Skid+Deck+Coating#

Karsten

1974 Boston Whaler - What Do I Do? 6 years 4 weeks ago #135766

• amreame
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the link. I agree, the more I look at the cracks the worse I feel about them. I may just have to start the resto this year, or sell it and try again with another boat, but with a lesson learned. Hmm..decisions decisions.

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7218 guests and 3 members online