Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone have experience with Marlin Vee Bottoms?

Anyone have experience with Marlin Vee Bottoms? 7 years 5 months ago #128414

Been looking for a hull to build a guy Hot Rod out of. You know, something cheap to try to get into the Mile-O-Minute club :D

Since we are near the SF Bay, it can't really be a flattie as that does not work well on the local rivers/lakes with afternoon winds and chop, leave alone on the Bay. So looking for modified vee bottom...

Got this one off local CraigsList with two trailers for a few hundred. My boat buddy did the deal in my absence as it was priced to move...

So I won't actually see it until next week as I'm away. When I see it, I'll get some more pic's :)

We have a spare cross-flow 'Rude 140HP V-4 for motivation. But would be nice to have info on older models of Marlin Boats :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Anyuone have info on Marlin Vee Bottoms? 7 years 5 months ago #128415

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
It's a classic "vee" hull ski boat design, of which a myriad of makes and models were "splashed" (copied) after the original (can't remember if Tahiti or Sidewinder was the first). Very light, minimal wake, will go like mad with a 140 on it!

I had a 15' 9" Sidewinder (16SS model) with a 1350 Mercury Tower of Power and it was a real beast!

With the right prop you should easily hit 50 but be careful at higher speeds 'cause the hull will tend to "chine walk". If that happens and the 140 Johnrude has power trim, it's best to tilt the motor in before chopping throttle.

Anyway, should be pretty light and easy to tow. Weak points on these old ski boats are transoms and stringers. If yours is solid, you've got a good one!

Have Fun!.........ed

Re: Anyuone have info on Marlin Vee Bottoms? 7 years 5 months ago #128417

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Nice!
Shouldn't have any problems hitting 50's but 60 will need a little more effort. On my stock Tomahawk there was no weight except for the portable fuel tank and battery + 200# (or more) operator. The Rude 135 pushed it about 52 gps without any modification but it did hang low in the water when stopped. You could probably reach your goal with just a more aggressive prop.
Attachments:

Re:Anyone have experience with Marlin Vee Bottoms? 7 years 5 months ago #128467

Just noodling around last night ...

Marlin Boats, Inc. was an Oregon Domestic Business Corporation filed on May 1, 1975 . The company's filing status is listed as Inactive and its File Number is 110047-10.

The Registered Agent on file for this company is Chuck Chambers and is located at 8251 14th St, White City, OR .

The company's principal address is 8251 14th St, White City, OR .

The company has 2 principals on record. The principals are Chuck Chambers from Medford OR and John Mcguire from White City OR.

From Wiki Answers:

The Marlin boat company in White City, Oregon, closed its doors (went bankrupt late in 1993). They produced a robust line of boats for almost 20 years, 15 to 37 foot ski, cruisers, and fishing models.

Some of the molds were picked up my Reinell and used for a few of their 20ft long offerings.

The marlins were a heavy-build boat and were not as economical to operate as their Bayliner, Reinell, Glastron counterparts.

There are references to Marlin getting molds from Dorsett when they went bankrupt … Also references to Marlin copying some Boston Whaler models …

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9739 guests and no members online