Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Member: first vintage project

New Member: first vintage project 8 years 9 months ago #111988

Hello to all, New member here. Just purchased my first vintage project. Its an aristocraft 9teen with a mercruiser (chevy) inline 6 and mercruiser outdrive. I beleive it is a 1976 judging from the serial number i will be researching that more. I do have a few questions and any other insight in to this boat and suggestions on what route to take with it would be very beneficial. The hull, stringers, and transom are all in great shape. The moor will either need to be rebuilt or replaced as it has seen a little bit too much of the lovely florida weather down here without the cowling or valve cover on it evidently. It seems like somebody attempted to dismantle the outdrive with an angle grinder at one point so it looks to be about shot as well. From the looks of it and after o bit of research i think its a pre-alpha outdrive called a mercruiser one? and the motor is from my research a chevy inline 6 250 with 165 hp? im sure theres somebody on here that can confirm or correct my knowledge so far. My plan is to replace the motor and outdrive on the boat. I thought about replacing the the motor with a 350 V8 and getting an outdrive for it but im not sure if thats going to take some modifications to the transom. Im sure i will have to expand the engine compartment but i figure a nice padded sundeck on the back wouldnt be a bad look as opposed to the two seats divided by a cowling. kind of a vintage runabout sleeper speedboat lol. any ways i have attached some pics let me know what you guys think.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Member: first vintage project 8 years 9 months ago #111989

here is some pics if i can get them to post lol
Attachments:

Re:New Member: first vintage project 8 years 9 months ago #111990

aha! lol
Attachments:

Re:New Member: first vintage project 8 years 9 months ago #112008

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Great project boat Coronacraft, welcome aboard. I'll let some of the gang more familiar with the I/O's and Aristocraft advise you on the repower, we've got quite a few fans of that rig around here. ;)

Mark

Re: New Member: first vintage project 8 years 9 months ago #112018

coronacraft,

WELCOME ABOARD.

IF it was my boat, I would either rebuild the original 165 or replace it with another similar engine & then replace the outdrive with the same sort of OD, for at least 3 reasons:
1. ORIGINALITY is a good thing in boats, just as it is in classic cars,
2. The 165 is one of the most economical & toughest of the I/O rigs
and
3. I would be concerned that the 350 would be too much power for that hull to be safe in all conditions.

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:New Member: first vintage project 8 years 9 months ago #112030

To squeeze a small block chevy in there would be really tight. Also the significant weight difference would be a factor.
I personally, would stay with the original. Do a full rebuild on it now, and it'll be bullet proof.
It would be really interesting to see a repower of that scope, though. I wonder if it would be possible to install a modern Yamaha supercharged 1.8. You'd play hell with matching it to an outdrive, though.

Will

Re:New Member: first vintage project 8 years 9 months ago #112072

I was thinking if i went the "restomod sleeper" route with it id probably reinforce the hull and stringers ive looked in to other options than a 350 but i think thats going to be the easiest to find and somewhat cost effective. Ive been finding donor boats with solid motors and outdrives for around $1500 and thats with a trailer so i can sell that off when its all said and done.

Re:New Member: first vintage project 8 years 9 months ago #112075

it looks like if you went with anything else other than an inline six, you might need to modify the rear seats. If it was mine, I's try not to do that.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)