Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replacing Engine Freeze Plugs

Replacing Engine Freeze Plugs 1 year 11 months ago #146472

I have a Ford 351, 240A marine setup, on a Volvo 280 stern drive.

When winterizing the motor last fall, I Failed to notice a drain petcock on one side of the motor hence only drained one side.
While getting the boat ready for use I discovered my error (Two(2) freeze plugs popped out).
Question: Can I jack up /hoist the motor from the engine mounts enough to replace plugs without disconnecting the heat exchangers, and all the auxiliary stern drive hoses and fittings?[/b][/b]

Please advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacing Engine Freeze Plugs 1 year 11 months ago #146476

Hello Devel,

I'm not familiar with Volvo exhaust manifols. I have a Ford 302 Mercruiser (same engine family) and the exhaust manifolds would allow freeze plug replacement wihout disassembly. You may have to remove your motor mounts though.

If the freeze plugs were pushed though, I would be concerned your cylinder block may be cracked. I suggest you take the difficult steps of removing it from your boat and give it a thorough inspection. That is a good engine, so I hope it's not broken.
Attachments:

Replacing Engine Freeze Plugs 1 year 11 months ago #146478

Thanks for your response

Can engine be raised to clear mounts without damaging the stern drive components or causing stern drive to go out of alignment?

Replacing Engine Freeze Plugs 1 year 11 months ago #146480

If the Volvo drive is similar to the Mercuiser drive, you will definately have to remove the drive, which contains the drive shaft, before you start shifting the engine around. Additionally, I think you should be prepared to realign the engine and drive because there is a fair amount of play in the motor and drive mounts.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)