Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is where great FiberGlassics are found and shared. Be it Craigslist, Ebay or your local classifieds, post your sightings here for others to see.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1962 Esquire

1962 Esquire 7 years 5 months ago #128544

Hello folks- I think this is the right place to post this - hoping for some advice. I am going to admit that I know very little about boats, especially fiberglass classics. I grew up with my dad's MirroCraft fishing boat. Anyway, I've always wanted a fiberglass classic. I recently came across a boat that I love. I can't find much information on it which is a little scary. It's a 15 ft. Esquire Runabout. I guess my main concern is the Scott motor. I've read some negative things on them. This boat looks like it was hardly out of a garage. Can somebody give me their thoughts on what this boat is worth? I'm excited to (hopefully) buy it and learn from this community. Thank you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1962 Esquire 7 years 5 months ago #128547

Welcome aboard!! That's a great lookin' boat! You should find all your answers here. The Scotts were good motors, but getting extremely hard to find parts for. Also someone to work on them, unless you do it yourself. But the way that looks, it may not need much ;)

Re:1962 Esquire 7 years 5 months ago #128554

There's some information in the Library:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Esquire

I would definitely keep the boat and motor together since they match so well. There are Scott outboard motor experts out there who can keep these oldies running.

Re:1962 Esquire 7 years 5 months ago #128559

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback. I guess now it sounds like it may need a new starter...so I'll start researching that.

Re:1962 Esquire 7 years 5 months ago #128564

I would not let a bad starter hold you back, I believe just about any starter rebuild shop should be able to fix it, after all it is just an electric motor.

Re:1962 Esquire 7 years 5 months ago #128571

It's sometimes hard for rebuild shops to get the parts for these starters.
Right now there is one on Ebay. It's listed as an Elgin, which it is but it's a Scott/McCulloch built Elgin.
For the money,
I would try either Laings outboards:
www.laingsoutboards.com/ 1-800-463-9001 (716) 693-9070

Or:Discount Marine up in Michigans U.P

Discount Marine Parts
Phone 4524 D Road • PO Box 98 Fax
906-466-2180 Bark River, MI 49807 906-466-0217

Discount ended up with the bulk of the Scott/McCulloch inventory that was left from when they shut down.

Some of those Scott/Macs have room for an OMC Starter from a big twin. I don't recommend using one, the starter bracket on that Scott is not very strong and a real pain to find. Use a Scott starter. If you order from Laings or Discount make sure to specify that. Expect to pay over $100.00 for a known good one. It's a lot. It's a lot better than roping that high compression 40 over too!

For their weight and horsepower rating the Scott/Mac 40-43.7/45 hp motors are good runners.
In my opinion the best looking outboard out there.
Take your time, stay with it and ask questions.
That's a cool rig!

Stay calm. Move on.

Re:1962 Esquire 7 years 5 months ago #128577

Thank you so much for all of your help, Joey Blueskies. Since the starter issue occurred (it was just running fine) they knocked $400 off the price. So I feel better after reading your info. Seems possible to get up and running for that. We're off to make the final decision tomorrow. Will keep you posted. Seriously guys, appreciate all the feedback/help.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6591 guests and one member online