Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is where great FiberGlassics are found and shared. Be it Craigslist, Ebay or your local classifieds, post your sightings here for others to see.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE

Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117200

• NJTriton
  • NJTriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Someone needs to save this boat
reno.craigslist.org/boa/5258667634.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

-Brian

Re: Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117204

Re: Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117205

Okay, now I am confused. Lee Wangstead's history says only two were made, the prototype boat shown at the boat shows in 1959 and one other.

Now there appears to be two styles, the rounded window version and the slanted window version with less windows. I am inclined to believe the rounded-window version was an earlier boat, maybe even the prototype, and the slanted version the production model.

This outboard model which appears similar to most of the Larson advertising was sold at auction in 2012 in the midwest, probably Iowa:

www.liveauctioneers.com/item/11180910_boat-larson-cruise-master-fiberglass-c1959-2

This seems to be the same version of the boat shown in the Larson advertisements:

Here's an I/O powered boat "Clifford" in Indiana in 2008:

I find mention of this Reno boat listed on Craiglist back in 2014 and another one for sale in Wisconsin at the same time:

retrocrestliner.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1880&start=15

Now for the 1959 brochure, Larson didn't have a photo, only an illustration:
Attachments:

Re:Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117206

So is this the missing second hull? Why are these finds so far away?!

Re:Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117209

• NJTriton
  • NJTriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
From the literature I want to say this could be the missing boat used for the Mississippi christening. Only real way to tell is to get over there and see if there is a HIN on it, but if it is one of the first it may not have one at all.

-Brian

Re: Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117221

Oh man, how sweet would that be!

Re:Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117244

The "one" that was sold in Wisconsin was obtained for the Paul Mikkelson Collection at Willmar, MN. When I was president of the Bob Speltz Land-O-Lakes chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society, the Wisconsin seller contacted me about it. Mikkelson had already been aware of the boat and the seller. Paul obtained the boat. I saw the boat in person when it was in Little Falls being "restored"

A few years later that boat was sold at the Mikkelson auction in Willmar. I do not know who purchased it but I was there in person when the gavel went down. It was expected to fetch ten thousand dollars and I think it sold for a few hundred. I do not know where it ended up.

Andreas

Re:Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117263

So now, is the Mikkelson boat the earlier style or like this later style one in Reno?

I can understand why it went so cheap. Bigger the boat the bigger cost of restoration and maintenance. You can't stack 25' boats in your garage like some folks do with 14' boats.

Re:Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 8 years 5 months ago #117269

HandyAndy,

EXACTLY SO.

That's why as a young Captain of the Army that I could buy a CC Corinthian for "peanuts" in 1975. = Everybody was afraid of what it would cost to restore it. = "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" has a great deal of truth to it, plus I was looking for a CHEAP place to live & B'more is anything BUT cheap on "army pay"..
(Actually, what I did was "remodel it a bit", with paint, new curtains, upholstery & a little work on the engines.)

Fyi, gleaming white paint "covers a multitude of sins".

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 5 years 10 months ago #136346

I am the guy with the cruisemaster in Reno. Was trying to sell it for a while but still have it and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm not sure if it is the first prototype or the second for production. It is in very original condition including the red and white checkerboard plaid sheets and curtains. I don't believe the cabin has ever been touched. Motor, outdrive and Helm are missing . I wish I knew what motor belongs in it and what kind of outdrive it had originally , it looks like a Alpha One maybe from the bolt pattern or maybe it's been altered to the updated Style because I don't think they had that in the 60s . It is the inboard outboard version. I just recently relisted it on Craigslist for $3,500 and if anybody's interested they can email me at cm1sailor @gmail

Re:Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 5 years 10 months ago #136347

I am the guy with the cruisemaster in Reno. Was trying to sell it for a while but still have it and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm not sure if it is the first prototype or the second for production. It is in very original condition including the red and white checkerboard plaid sheets and curtains. I don't believe the cabin has ever been touched. Motor, outdrive and Helm are missing . I wish I knew what motor belongs in it and what kind of outdrive it had originally , it looks like a Alpha One maybe from the bolt pattern or maybe it's been altered to the updated Style because I don't think they had that in the 60s . It is the inboard outboard version. I just recently relisted it on Craigslist for $3,500 and if anybody's interested they can email me at cm1sailor @gmail

Re: Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 5 years 10 months ago #136348

The one cruisemaster that was on the Lake in Indiana is the same boat I have here in Reno. If anybody's interested in it they can contact me at cm1sailor @gmail.com

Reno- Larson Cruisemaster for FREE 5 years 10 months ago #136378

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
OMG, really? I want a day cruiser and this would be perfect!!! Reno? why are they always so far away? Price and shipping always puts them so far over the ragged edge on cost. Oh what I could do with that hull.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6969 guests and no members online