Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a question about an other outboard? Scott, Ward and others are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Going from 2-stroke to 4-stroke

Going from 2-stroke to 4-stroke 7 years 9 months ago #123524

• Modeler
  • Modeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
With my Dorsett Catalina project on hold while I'm in Alaska for the summer I've been pondering power options. I'm not interested in a period-correct power plant (this is a functional restoration), and I plan to put a modern 4-stroke on in a few years. In the meantime I have three engines to choose from to rebuild and hang on the transom. My preference will be for the 1993 Johnson 48 Spl, but I won't know it's condition until I tear into it this winter.

Anyway, my plan for the boat is to have a pair of custom aluminum talks welded up to fit on each side of the boat. I'm curious if I will have any problems if I run the tanks with mixed 2-stroke fuel for a couple years and then convert to 4-stroke power later. Will the conversion be as simple as draining all the mixed fuel and topping them up with straight gas? Would I be better off running the 2-stroke engine off of portable tanks and saving the new aluminum tanks for when I get the 4-stroke engine?

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Going from 2-stroke to 4-stroke 7 years 9 months ago #123527

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
This, and no problem. Some oil in a 4S won't hurt anything..

Will the conversion be as simple as draining all the mixed fuel and topping them up with straight gas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)