Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pole barn with walls!

Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #68960

Now it's time to add more lights and power outlets, and build some shelves, but I'm getting there. It wasn't much of a 3 season barn before, but it is now!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #68961

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I've been wondering what you've been up to there Frank, been pretty quiet lately. Nice job on the pole barn, much better protection for your "stuff" now!

Mark

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #68966

:lol: That should keep the snow off. What happened to summer? :(

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #68981

Thanks Mark & Robert. At least it will keep the snow out of the boat, and means I don't have to screw around with a cover. Still, I need to cover the bow just to protect it, and am still working on how I want to do that. This will also be the 1st year I won't be pulling the motor.

Frank

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69020

Very nice, much better than outside with a tarp!

Bob

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69026

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
By golly Frank with a little creative organizing I believe you could get another boat in there!!
Lookin' good.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69035

boy frank you have been busy,and way too quiet,it looks great,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69038

Make a sort of lean to with a tarp attached to the beam .n the front at a steep angle for winter.

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69115

No more boats Neil. I sorta was thinking about another one for the Merc1000 I have just because it is such a great motor, but will probably just sell it when I get the 1350 done. At least as long as the 1350 works!

Robert, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing.

More projects? Let's see. Took a personal day yesterday to apply POR-15 to my 30 year old travel trailer frame. Started out by wire brushing the whole frame, then samdbalsting, then three coats of POR-15. Lots of fun. Ended up with severe right hand cramps, and major shoulder pain, but it's done, and I'm okay today. Not great, but okay. Off tonight to Scranton PA on the way to Glen Arm MD tomorrow for a party at a friend's place. Next weekend off to Old forge for a vintage trailer meet. Columbus Day weekend off to Fredonia to see our grandson (and his folks of course) with a stop in Castile. Never ends...

Frank

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69129

Frank is it possable to extend the roof out 4 to 6 feet angling down as the main roof is. only with breeces going down to the polls to hold that part. That would keep the snow off the boat.
Mike aka the pirate
PS
will have to send you and email to let you know how Im doing or send me youe number and I will call you

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69233

Sorry Mike, I've been out of internet connection since mid-afternoon Friday.

I've thought about doing something like that, but not right now. I'm broke. I have another idea, we'll see how it works.

Email me.

Frank

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69250

I would still pull the motor. MICE!
If you haven't thought of it already, what is your plan for keeping mice out of the boat and motor?

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69263

Hi Frank,
I know a way around the broke part. But it takes time.
I go to the Craigslist Free section. At least once or twice a week, someone is wanting to get rid of an old or "too small" deck, pile of wood etc.... Lots of 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 planks there. Some good, some crappy ? But that's what the burn barrel is for.
In fact the neighborhood kids built a pretty cool fort in the woods. It only cost me some gas, time to load the truck, and a few boxes of nails for the kids to bang on. I also make any jigs or supports out of free pallets too. Only a suggestion ???

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69266

jim18611865 wrote:

I would still pull the motor. MICE!
If you haven't thought of it already, what is your plan for keeping mice out of the boat and motor?

My plan for keeping mice out of the motor is pulling the hood, wrap-around, and front cover. From everything I've seen, mice like cover.

There are no floors in the boat, but two seats. Seeing the boat is open (not covered), my "plan" involves mothballs in containers under the seats. Otherwise, from everything I've seen, mice like cover.

How'd I do?

Frank

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69267

Chuck in Cincinnati wrote:

Hi Frank,
I know a way around the broke part. But it takes time.
I go to the Craigslist Free section. At least once or twice a week, someone is wanting to get rid of an old or "too small" deck, pile of wood etc.... Lots of 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 planks there. Some good, some crappy ? But that's what the burn barrel is for.
In fact the neighborhood kids built a pretty cool fort in the woods. It only cost me some gas, time to load the truck, and a few boxes of nails for the kids to bang on. I also make any jigs or supports out of free pallets too. Only a suggestion ???

Chuck, that's where all my framing lumber came from, and I have lots left over. My problem is now that the walls are on, I have too many other things to worry about. This will be the first year the boat is covered, so I feel good about that. I have never covered the bow, so that's not too big a deal anyways. It would be simple just to throw a tarp over it just because it won't cave in!

We have a big family party coming up in early November at the house, and I have more than enough to do just to prepare for that, along with a busy social calendar that occupies us out of town last weekend, next weekend, and then skip a weekend and we're gone again. I have some plumbing repair to do, a bit of wood work, but the big deal is emptying the garage for the party, which means lots of cleaning, moving, runs to the dump, etc. Once the party comes and goes, then I can attack the bow question, but also need to extend wiring and lights in the pole barn too. I got my '47 Old Town canoe pulled apart and need to get going on that. The Power Cat needs wiring and lights! I need to get my hot rod running, have some difficult carb, gas pedal cable problems that will take time. Just too many things over the next couple months. And then it's Thanksgiving, then Christmas. Oh yeah, we want to refinance the house this fall, need a new roof, new floors, etc. etc. Argh!

I need a beer...

Frank

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69268

I almost forgot - I also have a Merc 1350 to finish rebuilding, and when I say "finish" I've only had a very small start. Got it pulled apart and new rings and the powerhead back together, but lots more to do. Hopefully that's a January-March kinda thing...

I need another beer...

Frank

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69276

Mice are easy. Get yourself a few plastic tamper-proof bait box's and keep putting the bait in them. Unless your storing corn or something else good to eat in there they will eat the bait. Keep it out all year. Keep some anywhere you have equipment or small engines. I never have any problems. I spent 20+ years as an exterminator. Get the rat size box's and kill them too. Even clean up dog shit that is around. They will eat the dog food even after the dog is through with it. Everybody needs to do this, mice and rats are everywhere.This is the ones I use. They can be glued with liquid nails to patio stones or staked down. They even have some that look like rocks. Mouse size I prefer bait blocks and check them often. If the bait is disappearing then you still have critters. Rock one. You can get them on ebay, bait stores, farm stores. Tractor supply on the internet. Lots of places. Snap traps are still good but get the ones with the extended trigger like this one. Glue board are good but most do not work well in the extreme cold. You can buy some that are for cold area use but I stay away from glue boards.

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69279

Well Frank...Why are you spending your time so foolishly ?
Boats and canoes are priority man !!!
Good luck on all your projects ! Hey I'll be in Elma and Lancaster for Thanksgiving weekend... I'll buy you that beer !!!

Re:Pole barn with walls! 11 years 7 months ago #69306

Don't you go gettin me goin Chuck! Grrrrrrr....

Where'd that beer go?!? Argh!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)