Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms

Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54662

Been busy last few days cleaning, cataloging and taking pics of three generations of firearms. Also doing some research. Sounds like drudgery but I'm having fun. I find out that my Becker & Hollander made in 1918 for the German Army as an officers sidearm is not worth near as much as a person would think. It will shoot a regular 38 cal semi automatic round and are known to be reliable as hell. It is only worth a couple hundred. My Dad's model 61 Winchester pump 22 in the condition it is in should be worth a few grand. My Grandfathers Model 71 Winchester that was only made in 348 go for thousands. I've cleaned 18 in the last few days. This is my room in the basement where I keep a bunch of things including my outboards. This is an 1800's double barrel pinlock pistol. The triggers are hidden until you pull the hammers back. Becker & Hollander German Officers Sidearm. C. Parker made Damascus double barrel shotgun My Grandfather who dies before I was born owned. My model 88 Winchester I've carried since I was a kid. I've been offered some real good money for this one. I had it repaired in December and the gunsmith offered me $800.00 trade in broken. Model 71 Winchester, The Caddy of rifles in 348. This was the very last of the large frame rifles Winchester made. It is made from forged parts, not cast and cost twice as much as a cheaper model 94 when built and model 94's are a rugged gun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54681

Looks like you have quite a collection.
I have a nice collection too. But not as old as yours.
My favorite is my Taurus 357.4" It is at my side here at all times. Except where not permited. I have a CCW.
You'll never know when a bad guy will show up.
I hope the bad guys think twice. There are more and more CCW gun toting people around.

Re: Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54685

Oh i got a few gun safes and they are pretty full. I'm not sure how many I have left to do. On these old guns you almost have to take pic of any marks or anything that could be used to identify. Some of the old guns have 20 pics with them. I'm a firm believer in the Second Amendment. There is nothing like the sound of my Winchester Model 1300 Pump shotgun being cycled to change the attitude of a trespasser.
Attachments:

Re:Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54703

nm...pic won't post.

Re:Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54739

I have an old 12Ga pump. with hammer. Hold the trigger down and Pump and shoot. I'll get you model soon. :laugh:

Re:Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54743

Did you notice the tape on the stock of that old double. My Mother told me that my grandmother and Grandfather were fighting and she broke it over his head. The stock is in two pieces. You can feel the movement. It is the old friction tape and he put it on himself and he died in 1958. I hate to touch his repair but I wish it were not broken.
Attachments:

Re:Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54767

robert ,i used to make and hand carve gun stocks ,the hardest to make were the hammerless double barrel stocks,not much wood left when its done,lol.
i used to repair them too,all you have to do is use a very good wood glue ,put it back together,using pressure,even if you have to use duct tape.i know that sounds funny put it works,then after its dried sand and refinish,its really an easy fix if the break isnt missing any wood,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54771

I really would like to repair it. It is not worth much, a least like this but it is a family item. It is meant to be passed down. In your experience what glue would you use?

Re:Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54783

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
R L i use weld wood resin glue for gun stock repaires. it is a powder and is mixed with water, you can make it as thick as you want. takes overnite to dry. and the wood can not be oil soaked. i use laquer thinner to remove oil from the wood and then a hair dryer blow gun to dry it out. makes a good repair. will need to clamp pressure on it also. a ratchat strap works good. frog

Re:Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54789

I will try that I have a crack in the stock of my grandfathers vintage 20ga & I dont want to change the stock

Re:Cleaning, Cataloging, taking pics of Firearms 12 years 3 months ago #54806

That's like me, I want to keep the original wood. As far as I'm concerned the old twisted steel barrels will never be used again.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)