Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rain

Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46035

We have had so much rain since the end of August that my nice boat seats, which sit out in the weather, are mildewing right in place. I understand the Lake Hopatcong meet planned for this weekend is cancelled as the whole lake has been declared a no-wake zone due to unusually high water levels.

On top of the enormous amount of rain we've been getting, when it is decent out, you don't want to venture out for fear of being carried away by swarms of vicious mosquitoes.

More rain coming. Fun in the Northeast...

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46039

No rain here..... and we need it

CAVU

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46048

Nothing like the tale of two extremes.
We can still boat here in the northeast, just we choose not to because of all the rain. My boat is starting to get a funky smell too. After Irene, even though it was covered and stayed covered it took on a lot of water. I pulled it 1/2 way up the drive and left it all day at a 45 deg. angle in the sun to drain and dry.
I will have to do it again soon.

Having no water would be worse though, in my opinion!

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46060

yep frank..i received an email yesterday that the Knucklebusters AOMC wet meet has been cancelled at lake hopatcong due to flooding. CRAP...was taking the boat out for only the second time this year. tony (65g3) was going to meet me there. the meet was cancelled last october also. ron

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46063

to ALL,

could you send us some of that RAIN? - we've had LESS than 4" of rain in the last SIX MONTHS in our neighborhood AND it seems like at times that HALF of south TX is ON FIRE.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46064

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Morning All,

Rain here in PA has become as expected as the sun coming up in the morning. I was hoping for a few hours to get the Starcraft out on Saturday morning but even that may be hopeful.

I did see a guy with beard and a large brown boat, I believe it said MosesCraft near the stern, loaded with animals waiting for the next wave of rain to arrive.

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46065

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Look at it this way- If it rains enough, you'll be able to go boating in your yard!!

It seems like this has been a year of extremes. My uncle lost his house to the Texas wildfires- While friends of ours lost their house due to Flooding...

It has kept me from complaining too much about the hot weather down here!

-Andrew

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46066

Raining here again today. Been looking forward to some fall boating, but not today. Did get out last week on the river. Too bad - can't cut the grass today either. :evil:

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46068

Here some of the lakes are

Lake Travis...53 feet low near 1/4 down and just over 1/2 of cap
Lake Houston 8 feet low...only 43% full
Lake Somerville is now over 9 ft low and only 44% full
Lake Conroe 8 ft down and 1/3 of the full dept down

Remember ...a lake is like a funnel the lower it goes the faster it goes low

We had some rain yesterday ...about 1/2 of an inch, however we are needing over 16 inches just to start to bring the lakes back up

We would need 5 to 6 days of a slow rain (Say 3 to 4 inches over a 24 hr time) to beak the drought. ground is so dry and no grass that if we had a heavy rain it would wash away too much soil

CAVU

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46070

Well here in Northen Nevada its been so long sense we have had rain I don't know what it is. But we had a real good winter with a lot of snow up in the Searas mountians the filled our lake.Even now its stil 3/4 full. Went out on the lake yesterday and cought 2 10in crapy and 2 12in wipers. Heres some pix what the lake looks. Now remembe we are out in the desart.
Mike aka the pirate
Attachments:

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46071

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Pirate Mike,

That is some beautiful scenery you have out there in Nevada. That lake is amazing and the mountains prestigious. I am glad you had sufficient rain to keep that lake up and allow you the opportunity to get out on it.

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46072

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Tall Texan,

I remember when I was stationed at Fort Hood. The rain came literally straight down and dumped like a firehose. The ground was baked so hard the water would just run off the ground and down the streets of Killeen like a river.

Sorry to hear you're down so much and the lakes are low. I spent some time at Belton Lake and really enjoyed the way it was kept up and everyone did their little bit to keep it that way. As I remember it, there were trash barrels supplied and people actually just took their trash home with them instead of filling them.

I hope you get some of those slow steady rains you need to bring everything back in check.

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46106

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Irene brought lots of rain to N.E. PA, but it was nothing compared to what Lee brought when it stalled over us. Susquehanna was higher than it was in 1972 during historic "agnes flood".

This week, more rain created havoc with already swollen small streams. News reports of families who just moved back in after cleaning out from Lee who are getting flooded again.

I'm just womndering, in other parts of the country, are the news stations saying much about it? I mean, its not affecting nearly as many as katrina, but some areas are really getting pounded, many two and three times in less than two months.

Saturdays forcast: more rain.

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46108

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The Susquehanna flooding made the news down here in Atlanta right after the last hurricane passed through Jim, but haven't heard anything about it since. Frank's post kinda surprised me, didn't know it was still a problem up there. Ole Red just recently posted (on CGOAMN) about the drought out in Okla, so I knew that was a problem out there though.

Mark

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46128

Last couple of years the lakes were down. Now we have rain water to fill them.

Hello, World!!

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46133

nj john sent me this pic this morning. thats john on his dock at lake hopatcong. pic won't post but he's calf deep standing on his dock. ron

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46149

Send the pic to me Ron, I'll re-size it and post it.

Frank

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46165

frank fixed the pic....
Attachments:

Re: Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46178

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Guess what we got today in PA? You got it - RAIN!!! So much for hitting the lake and getting in some much needed relaxation - aka boat time. When does this end?

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46183

todd, if you have rain,you must live close to john gibson..indiana,pa.

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46186

yep rain and cold here,about 45 degrees.i have a heater on in my garage so i can get some airbrushing done on my wifes carousel horse.
its in the nbr section,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46189

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yep, John and I are about 2 hours away from each other. I'm about an hour north of Harrisburg in less than sunny Schuylkill County. Its nice to know I live in such close proximity to such talent!

Re:Rain 12 years 7 months ago #46205

I'm on the Outer Banks this week. There was so much rain, it looks like high tide at low. And the mosquitoes are as big as flies and they are HUNGRY!

Hello, World!!

Re:Rain 12 years 6 months ago #46226

to ALL:

i LOST the chance to buy a REALLY nice Yellow Jacket 16' with 40 horse Johnson, on a Dilly trailer, for 600.oo in September. = BURNED UP with the barn that it was in, outside of Bastrop, TX! =====> !@#$%^!

OH WELL, i've only looked for a solid/complete YJ for about 5-6 years.

btw, my rain guage recorded about 3/4"of rain in NE SATX on Wednesday PM.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'