Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff!

What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29394

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 99
Well the wife's been on me since we moved in here 3 years ago to build some cupboards for the laundryroom. Here's why:

Here are the tools of my trade so to speak:

Here's the stack of Ash I started with.

Here's what's left of the 3 sheets of 1/2" sandplay.

Hmm forgot to take pics of the 15" Delta thickness planer I used to get the ash workable.

That's enough for not. I'll post some more tomorrow.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29402

wow bob i see you are quite a good woodworker,nice tools and lumber.
great looking work,john
p.s. that is a great router stand,did you make it?its outstanding craftsmanship.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29414

is there a reason you use ash? ron

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29415

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John,
Thanks, yes I did make it. It's the Norm Abrams updated model. I had some copied plans from the old one he built and I just modified by what he said he did rather than having to buy new plans. The tablesaw, jointer and thickness planer were my dad's. I had my own but when he died I inherited his. His were the next model up so it just made more sese to keep his. My stuff was going to go to my son but you know what happened there, so I sold it to a friend of mine.

Ron, the wife wanted them to match the kitchen cupboards and they are "Hickory". I don't have any Hickory but I have Ash, Red Oak and Cherry. I have a pretty good stash of it so I just use what had. Too cheap to try hunt it down and buy it. ;) The Ash grain will be close and I was able to find some Cabot's chestnut stain that will be close to the Toffee that's on the kitchen ones. It's in a different part of the house so the slight difference shouldn't be noticeable.

I'll have more pics tonight. Got to go mow the lawn and crap so I can get back to the cupboards.

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29418

bob,i have often thought about your son,you have my deepest sympathy,if you ever want to talk about it,just email me at johngibsoni@aol.com,or call 724-465-2581,im here if you need me buddy,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29436

Bob, Those shelves that you have now look good enough. :laugh:
I guess the wife won't buy that.

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29453

bob, are kitchen cabinets are hickory. we love the light and dark grain that appears in the wood.

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29468

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John,
Thanks buddy I truely appreciate that. This stuff has been keeping me focused on other things.

Dave,
Yeah that's what I thought but you are correct she isn't buying it!

Ron,
I think I can duplicate it with the Ash. It's got some sap wood in it so it should have the light and dark.

Ok here are a few more pics from today:
My "boatshed" Ron you can see my stash of lumber on the left wall next to the boat.

A pic of the thickness planer and the bags of chips from planing the Ash.

A pic of the material for the raised panel doors.

Here are the face frames ready to be stained before assembling them to the sides tops and bottoms.

Well discovered today that the raised panel bit set that I have doesn't match what's in the kitchen so I had to order one from Ebay that would match. Kind of on hold now until those come. I still have to match the stain to the kitchen also. The chestnut wasn't quite right, but if it comes down to it I can get away with it since it's not in the same room. Just want it to be close though.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29470

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Norm (Abrams) would be proud of you Bob! Besides, it'll be easier to relax (hopefully out boating) knowing that your wife's project is done and out of the way. Everybody knows; "when the wife ain't happy, nobody's happy". :laugh:

Mark

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29473

yep mark,i know,we built the porch last year and now she wants a room and roof ,im in no shape to be doing it,and it costs alot,so i have to do it in small stages,BUT i better do it,lol,its going to take awhile,and bob great work!!,john

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29477

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys.
Mark, you are soooooo right! LOL
John, hang in there and just take you time. She can't complain if your still doing work , all be it at your own pace, but our working on it. ;)

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29498

OK Bob, I can't post pics of my boat shed after seeing yours!! Almost finished it today but around 90 and muggy, couldn't hang. Watched the Masters instead.

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29588

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Joe,
Can't wait to see yours I'm sure it's great. Mine had to match the house, association rules. Took me a while to build but got it done.

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29605

I'm changing the nomenclature to Boat Lean-To instead of shed. :laugh: :laugh:

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29610

boy bob thats beautiful wood,neil said he is going to send me some hem or white fir,that has a very unusual patteren to it,i cant wait o see it.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29611

boy bob thats beautiful wood,neil said he is going to send me some hem or white fir,that has a very unusual patteren to it,i cant wait to see it. sorry about the double post,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29624

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Joe,
As long as it servers the purpose you intended it doesn't matter what you call it. ;)

John,
Thanks. That's some awesome looking wood! What do you plan to do with it?

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29629

bob,my hope is to use it one of the boats,im still thinking about how i want to do it,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29665

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John,
Hmmm, maybe really cool dashboard?

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 13 years 1 week ago #29668

yeah i already thought about that,or ,make it into trim between my different colors of vinyl.john p.s. i didnt mean to hijack your thread,john

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 10 months ago #33940

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well the Doc cleared me in hot again so I was off to work to get smei-caught up. Below are a few picks of the cupboard door raised panels being done. I finished all eight.

This was cutting them to size and squaring them up.

This was using the raised panel bit. Using my Hitachi 3 1/4 hp router spinning at about 12,000 rpm, big bit have to slow it down

This is the finished product.

Had fully intended to get back at it today and do the rails and stiles but weather was just too nice and didn't want to loose another day of boating so the boat went into the water instead, for the first time for this year. I was having withdrawals so had to change priorities!

Bob
Attachments:

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39263

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, it's been a while but we've been pretty busy and of course good Saturday boat days take precedence! :woohoo:

Here's a shot of the raised panel doors after assembly.

When making raised panel doors though shalt always stain or paint the center panels BEFORE assembly, so that when the expand and contract they won't show bare wood around the inside of the door rails and stiles.

Picture of the shelf pin jig I made.

Jig in action

Shelf pin holes completed

Cupboard carcasses going together

Sorry for all the junk in the background infront of the lathe. It was my sons and we're still not sure where we're going to put it. Can't bring myself to go through it still.

To continue here's a few shots of the cupboards together, stained and two coats of satin poly

Notice the size difference in the bottoms of the cupboards? That's a surprise you'll have to wait for when I show you the completed cupboards. A little something I came up with at our Pensacola house and I carried it over to here.

Here are the doors drying

Not my best work I'll admit but close enough for the laundry room. I have the European face frame hinges that will go on once the doors are dry. I may put one more coat of poly on the cupboards and doors yet. Still have to cut the shelves to size, stain and poly those but those don't HAVE to be done to put the cupboards up. That's enough for one night. I'll post mroe when I get further along.

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39267

beautiful work bob...i can't even begin to imagine the pain of losing a son or daughter and be able to continue with the work at hand. your a stronger man than me. ron

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39281

• MarkS
Very impressive Bob, nice work. You'd give Norm Abrams a run for his money! :laugh:

Mark

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39283

Very nice work Bob. Gee, how did I miss this thread?!?

I have a table saw, circular saw, jig saw, and along with some electric and air sanders, that's about it. I need to re-do my kitchen cabinets sometime, and really am not sure how to go about it.

Today is figure out why I can't get the lawn tractor started, clean up my shop, start moving stuff in anticipation of setting up a paint booth in the garage.

The little bit of wood work I've done lately revolved around our tiny travel trailer, and while it worked out fine, there's more to do. It's got to wait for $ and time. Too many things to do, never enough cash.

After my dad died, I inherited the family trunk, family pictures (many of them very old, including tintypes, but also pics from the 40's to the late 90's), and even 10 years later have not been able to go back through that stuff. I've done a bit, but no question it's hard.

Enjoy your day Bob, and best of luck with the cabinets.

Frank

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39301

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ron,
Thanks, it's what keeps me sane right now. That's also why I bought the Century, continuos projects to keep me busy.

Mark,
Thank you it's not my best work but like I said it's close enough for the laundry room. It has it's flaws but of course I can pick them out. ;)

Frank,
Thank you, yeah a i had some stuff but when my dad died I got all the stuff he had. His was a little better models than what I had. It's pretty much a fully functional wood shop just hampered my space! :S I have plenty of ideas for cabinets if you need ideas or help drop me a line. Your trailer is looking great by the way. Good luck with the tractor, I'm sure you'll get her fired up in no time.

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39308

bob they look fantastic,very nice tool set up.
im glad your staying busy my friend,your family is in my thoughts,john

by the way im getting busy today sanding and filling,then painting a carousel horse for my wife but thats a new thread.

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39320

Waterwings wrote:

Frank, Thank you, yeah a i had some stuff but when my dad died I got all the stuff he had. His was a little better models than what I had. It's pretty much a fully functional wood shop just hampered my space! :S I have plenty of ideas for cabinets if you need ideas or help drop me a line. Your trailer is looking great by the way. Good luck with the tractor, I'm sure you'll get her fired up in no time. Bob

Trailer is great Bob, thanks. Low compression in the Kohler engine (70-75#s), I think the engine is toast. Keeps draining batteries too. Maybe next spring get a new one as long as more things don't "pop" up.

I'll keep ya posted if I ever get into these kitchen cabinets. Thanks!

Frank

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39751

Gee, Now y'all got me wantin to expedite gettin me wood shop set up. Two years ago I was trying to help a friend get his business going after loosing his truck driver medical. He asked for a 12" band saw and I found one on CL. It's a Craftsman professional series. The thing is, the guy selling it was the nephew of a man that made crown molding... since the 40's! Yup, this was an estate sale. I also picked up the table saw and the radial arm saw. $100 ea.! Well my friend just didn't want to do woodwork after all and gave it back. So it's all in my garage waiting. I've been using the table saw to rebuild my neighbors kitchen drawers. Then I see your thread here and ..... I caught the bug! lol.
Attachments:

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #39788

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
HopFrog,
Yeah not hard to do in my opinion. I've been doing woodworking since about the mid 1980's. Actually started when I was in eight grade, dind't get serious until 1980's. I have more pics but not quite finished. I'll post more soon.

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #40946

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, it's been a little while but kept getting interupted. They are finally done and up.

This first one is of them up before the crown molding.

After the crown molding.

Crown and shelves

Did you notice the hanger underneath the last cabinet in pic #2? That's my surprise speacialty I incorporate in all the laundry room cabinets. The last two can hang clothes to dry.

You'll notice the bottom is a little higher inside the cabinet to make this happen. Yes you lose a little room inside but no biggie, most people just store junk in there anyway.

Notice that from the front you can't even tell, until you open the door.

Well now that, that project is done, she's redirected me to table legs for a 36" round piece of glass that's going to be my daughters dining table at her apartment. Sheesh at this rate I'll never get the Fat Fifty cover repainted or hot rodded!!! I even have the paint now!

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #40978

• MarkS
The cabinets look great Bob. I don't believe a professional cabinet person could have done better, awesome job. ;)

Mark

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #40997

You have a great talent. It is better than a pro would have done because of the knowledge you have of doing it yourself with care. A Pro has to make money and unfortunately most times it means corner cutting either in materials or time. Great post.

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #41292

wow bob,im sorry i havent commented untill now,we just got back from camping,but wow,they are fantastic,great wood work buddy,john

---Mark Twain

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #41314

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys,, even though it was a honey do it was still fun. Won't admit that to her though. ;) Anytime I can wood work or do boat stuff I'm happy.

Mark, Thanks, thought about doing it as a business after I retired form the Navy but I'm a little too anal and I'd never make any money! LOL

Robert,thanks and your right hence my previous statement to Mark. LOL It's fun to do when it's one of your passions.

John, no woories and thanks. Hope the camping trip was fun.

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #41315

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks great Bob. I like the hangers. And aren't Euro hinges great?
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #41319

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Neil, yeah they sure are. Makes for a real clean look.

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #41320

i have a lot of problems with euro hinges. they keep loosening up.

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #41331

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hmmm, haven't had that problem in a while. Did have it on some doors on the Entertainment Center I made but I think that was due to the weight of the doors. All the cupboards I've made I haven't had that problem. One option you can do Ron is once you have it set where you want it, use some Locktite on the screws and they shouldn't back out any. Just a thought.

Bob

Re:What's been keeping me from doing boat stuff! 12 years 8 months ago #41352

i think its due to the weight of the 40" doors. (double stacked linen closet.)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6771 guests and one member online