Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4 grand grind job....

4 grand grind job.... 13 years 2 months ago #23040

• houston
  • houston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
ever hear of a Monroe Silver dollar?

we have acquired a couple and a "Liberty Peace" 23 S, for all it is worth I have no clue what I am talking about, but this one got my eye as I was going through the collection.

Here is an the face of an 1885 Morgan head Silver dollar, which with out my magnifying glass I could see clear detail in her hair.

turning it over I was really surprised to see the back seemed rather special and rather "grand" in it self.

so off I went to scour the internet to see just what this coin was and what it value was.

after looking deep and hard I could not find a match, so as with old boats I turned to a coin collectors forum where I posted these same picture asking what is with the back of this coin....

to my horror I got my answer, back in 1891 a person died who was 60 years old 3 months and 5 days as inscribed on the back. Giving the coin was only 6 years old the next part is rather hard to digest. For this person funeral they made a "Death Coin" much similar to a "Love Coin" which after all is said and done a small hole is drilled into the coin and was worn as a necklace, normally a dime was used to make a "Love Coin".

So my On-line search went from being in the possible mid 4,000.00 to a possible "if" 50 bucks in the matter of a key stroke because the Back of this Morgan head Silver dollar was grounded off.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:4 grand grind job.... 13 years 2 months ago #23045

mark ,i have a nephew that is a coin collector,i would love to get that coin for him,its a cool part of history,even if its not worth much,would you sell it?
i gave him a token from the altoona railroad and he was just tickled with it.let me know john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:4 grand grind job.... 13 years 2 months ago #23046

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well John I understand, but I got an Idea...

Been going across some records and I think I figured out who the funeral was for (I think).

what I would like to do is try and figure the who's who of it all, write it down and seal it in an envelope, then hand it over to the history detectives for they can also.

I think it would be really cool in the long run to send this back to the ancestor's of the deceased.

Re:4 grand grind job.... 13 years 2 months ago #23058

mark,thats really nice of you,and i agree,the person who died ,their ancestors should have it,your a good guy mark.john.p.s. karma point for you.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:4 grand grind job.... 13 years 2 months ago #23064

mark, how did dede obtain it? i know if someone had a coin like that marking the death of one of my ancestors i sure would like to have it. ron

Re:4 grand grind job.... 13 years 2 months ago #23090

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
her past husband don collect coins, what we have are what remains of that collection....a lot of the coins where exchanged & replace with newer coins by person's unknown, still inventorying the "pill bottle" collection

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)