Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Log splitter renovation

Log splitter renovation 13 years 5 months ago #19887

Got an old log splitter from a good friend a few weeks ago. In the process of renovation.

So far I've disassembled it, scraped and wire brushed all the crud off, washed it with hot detergent water with scrub brushes, then rinsed it off with real hot water. Wiped down with lacquer thinner, washed it in hot detergent water again just with a sponge and rinsed with real hot water. Sanded it, wiped it down with mineral spirits, let it dry, and put on the 1st coat of rustoleum red.

Got my electric start motor, same model & hp as the one that was on it, just having a hard time getting the old pulley off. May end up dicing it with my angle grinder and a cut off disc.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 5 months ago #19901

wow frank looking great,and wow look at the size of the hydraulic ram,that baby should split some big logs.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 5 months ago #19936

Thanks John, just the first foam brush application of rustoleum red. Cold in my garage so may take a couple days to dry good before the next coat. Still need to paint the ram and oil reservoir, but I'm just taking my time. Getting a few new hoses made up for it too.

I do believe it will be a great log splitter when it's done, plus look good too. I enjoy doin stuff like this.

Frank

Log splitter renovation pics 13 years 5 months ago #19965

1st coat oil reservoir, 1st coat ram, 2nd coat ibeam

Attachments:

Re: Log splitter renovation pics 13 years 5 months ago #19966

After you get it fixed up and pretty . It will look to good to use.

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 5 months ago #19968

Nah, it won't look as good as a brand new store bought one. We'll use it!

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 5 months ago #19974

lookin good frank.

Painted, assembled, just needs a motor 13 years 4 months ago #20333

Assembled this a.m. Need to work on one of the two motors I got, figure out what way to go. Haven't got back to the original pull start. Fixed the recoil on it, strung new recoil rope, got a new plug, air filter (not installed yet), dumped the old gas, tank has been drying out a few weeks. Electric start motor will require $. Needs a new top 1/2 lovejoy fitting because the shaft is bigger, will need a solenoid and switch, plus I'll have to figure out a gas tank. The original pull start motor has an integral tank, electric start one doesn't. Got a spare tank off an old lawn mower, but not sure how to set it up to feed the motor. Does the tank have to be higher than the carb?

Attachments:

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 4 months ago #20337

on most small motors i have seen the tank is above the motor,it cant hurt,and it makes filling the tank easier,i think anyhow,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 4 months ago #20338

I'm just not sure how I would mount the tank. I'll figure something out I guess. Tired, not feeling too hot.

Frank

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 4 months ago #20345

whats wrong frank,i think you put in too many hours a day,and your like me,i dont sleep either,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 4 months ago #20349

Stomach bug, almost over it. I don't sleep good either John.

Got the motor running, tank on, just need a coupler for the pump (coming UPS probably Tuesday), a starter solenoid, ignition switch, a couple hoses, and hydraulic fluid (last 4 items coming from NAPA). Need to make some kind of bracket to hold the solenoid, starter switch and throttle. Shouldn't be too difficult, but I don't feel real hot, so it can wait till we get home. Leaving for Buffalo early tomorrow, home late Saturday.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 4 months ago #20564

I got smart, robbed some brackets off the other motor, mounted it like it was supposed to be there.

Drill and tap 13 years 4 months ago #20907

One of the last things. Drill out the end of the oil reservoir so I can tap it to 3/4 pipe. Cut off the welded-on nipple, then made a jig this morning with some scrap steel and my decades-old Stanley Handyman workbench so the reservoir is centered perfectly under my big floor mount drill press. Drill bit shown is 5/8, 3/64 less than the hole size. I need to drill it to 59/64 to tap it. Ordered the bit, just hasn't come in yet.

Still need to pull the motor to install the new lovejoy coupling, get the solenoid, starter switch and kill toggle wired up, anchor the battery, install the new hoses, and fill it with hydraulic fluid. I'm probably weeks away from completion at this point.

Attachments:

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 4 months ago #21902

hey frank...how's the splitter coming.

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 4 months ago #21907

It's waiting for my back to recoup Ron. I got the end of the reservoir drilled and tapped for 3/4 npt, then ran into a weird problem. There was a filter welded inside of the reservoir. A good friend helped me get it out and then re-weld the end back on last weekend. I got it painted and ready to go back on (with an external filter), but my back problems this week have limited my ability to do much except get to work and back, which is the most important thing. Everything now is pretty straight forward, new electric start motor works good, it's just stuff I can't do right now. And don't get me wrong, I'm NOT complaining. I'm a lucky guy.

I'll keep ya posted, never fear. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Frank

Re:Log splitter renovation 13 years 3 months ago #23333

All ready to go to NAPA for some custom hoses and an external filter for the oil reservoir. All the wiring is done, but it needs a few "tweaks" before operation, like filling the oil reservoir and ram, and bleeding it. She's coming along, won't be long now.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8211 guests and 2 members online