Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.

TOPIC: garage demo about a week away....

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #21431

yep ron,i used to work in that weather all the time,it sucked but it kept you moving,lol.
heck i even hunted in that kind of weather and worse,i just wouldnt pour cement at that temp,but then again except for doing my own basement,i didnt do alot of concreate work,i tryed to stay away from it,lol.
usually when i built a house we did the framing ,siding ,and trim work(finish work),install the windows and doors,the basement was already done,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #21447

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
well we got 75% of it out today and covered with 2 tarps. will finish tomorrow. man my back is aching. wish i had a hot tub. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #21449

I used to sit still out on the Lake St. Lawrence on the border of Canada ice fishing in minus 0 weather for hours on end, no protection at all except your back to the wind. I'm a lot smarter now. I think.

Good luck with moving stuff Ron, always a lot of fun, and great for your back. :laugh:

Merry Christmas!

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #21665

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
this is really starting to p--- me off. the plans have been on the zoning officers desk since monday morning. his secretary tells me he hasn't had time to review them. if it was 30 yrs. ago in this town i would say that he's waiting for a pay-off.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #21671

boy ron i sure do feel sory for you,having to jump through all those hoops.if i can help in any way ,just let me know,by the way have you gotten any of my emails ?,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #21687

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
no i haven't john. corrine's email's are sporadic also. i thought it was because i had 2 email programs (windows mail and optonline) but i disabled one 2 weeks ago. a couple days ago i clicked on the one i thot i disabled and there was new messages. so at this point i'm baffled. probably will take the pc to be diagnosed and repaired. occasionally i'll receive one from you on the optonline program, never on windows mail. i sent you a package. don't open till christmas. lol ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #21694

ron i just replied to your email,did you get it?
i only have your optonline address ,and not the other one.
ron,you dont have to send me anything ,friendship is enough,john
p.s. but i do thank you though.thanks john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 3 months ago #22800

gee ron i just read your post in the main forum,heck i did my whole basement for 3,000 in materials,24x48x9 foot high,my father in law and i laid the block and poured the floor,and we put it 36 inches below ground level,with a 2 foot wide x 8 inch thick footer.that was 11 years ago though.
if you do go with a footer and block setup,take it 16 inces above ground level,so the rain splashback doesnt rot your wood wall plate out(2 blocks at least above ground).
boy i wish i lived closer,i cant do the work anymore but i could help get it done.john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 3 months ago #22802

ron im going to make some calls and figure out how much it would be for materials,at least around here,it might not be until tommorrow though,my moms cousin died tuesday,and we are going to the funeral today,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 3 months ago #22805

I just read the post too. I'd just move. lol.. Man, that's just ridiculous. Hope it works out for you in the end.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 3 months ago #22813

ok,here ya go ron,with the cost of materials around here,and im over estimating it some.
for a 20x30 footer at 16 inches wide x 6 inches thick,is 3 yards,it comes to about 110 bucks per yard with calsium in it,comes to 330.00

and if you bury 3 courses that gives you about 30 inches under ground counting the footer,plus two courses above ground is 75 block per course,x 5 courses total,is350 block,at 1.25 per block delived,comes to,437.50

about 2 tons of sand at 25.25 a ton delivered,comes to 50.50(you probably wont need all 2 tons.

the mortar mix with the lime in it is 8.00 bucks a bag it should take 8 bags,but we will say 10 bags,because it depends on the mason,that comes to 80.00 bucks
the floor at 4inches thick comes to 8 yards,i suggest fiberglass fiber added to it,comes about 118.00 bucks a yard ,total of 944,00 bucks
so it comes to around ..footer 330.00
8inch,3 cell block 437.50
2 tons sand50.50
mortar 80.00 bucks
4 inch floor 944.00
total 1841.50
now that doesnt include ,the excavating,rebar in the footer,and metal mesh in the floor,if i were youi would call around therefor the prices of all the materials listed,because these are the prices around here,by the way you can take out 24 blocks for the 16 foot door,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 3 months ago #22835

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks john. now i know what they're rapping me for labor. i'll make many calls starting tomorrow night. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 2 months ago #24086

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i got a call yesterday that my permit is ready for pick-up.the reason it took so long is because they had to submit engineered drawings for a poured concrete foundation. the momolithic slab was turned down because the building is over 200 sq.ft.(600 sq.ft.)
also none of their garage drawings were to scale. so all this had to be re-done to scale. the builder also couldn't get the height down to 15'. with the truss design its at 15'7 1/2". the town finally gave him the o/k on that, without me spending over a thousand $ for a variance. so now i'll have to wait until this 3' of accumulated snow melts away so i can demolish the garage and dig out the blacktop. more as it progresses. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 2 months ago #24109

boy ron im happy for ya,i just wish you didnt have to go through such aggrevation,its pretty stressful,keep us posted ,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 2 months ago #24172

3 inches or 3 feet...

Dude you got a tractor with a big bucket...get your crazy hat and do a "houston"

...go nuts...

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 2 months ago #24179

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
3 feet...i was thinking of doin the demo myself but a container will cost me $640. and a laborer to load it $100..$740.
i got a guy doin it for $900. for $160 bucks i'd be nuts to do it myself being i have never done a demo before.

garage gone...finally 13 years 2 months ago #25219

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
on to the foundation.found a surprise when we pried off the plate. :huh: supposedly it was anchored to asphalt..no such luck. we found a 12" wide x 3 ft. deep poured concrete foundation. :ohmy: after i spent an hour wondering how i was gunna get that out it dawned on me that i could build on top of it (20x20) and just do the extended 10' with a new pour. :) i called the town if they would allow me to do that. no way jose! :angry: but he told me i could leave it and just pour the new foundation alongside it. i would just have to shift the garage over 1' and either forward or back 1', this way the anchor bolts could be installed in the pour. no problem i have plenty of room. pics of the demo and how clean they left it.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 2 months ago #25224

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good deal Ron, bet you're glad to get that much done! One big step closer to having a new "boat barn". :)

Mark

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 2 months ago #25245

boy i hate being on dialup,i cant see all the pics,but it sounds like things are going good for ya,im happy for ya ron,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 2 months ago #25360

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Finally is right, Good deal. Glad its under way, MIKE

Finally Underway........ 13 years 1 month ago #27344

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
excavation,footer,concrete walls. the rain came the night the walls were poured. 5" of water in trench this morning. sue and broinlaw pumped it out while i was at dys. real troopers..it wasn't easy as every step they would take they would sink in 6" of mud. they're pouring the floor on monday. ron more pics tomorrow......

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27492

Looking good Ron!

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27541

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
foundation and 7" floor in...
first wall up

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27543

Looks good Ron, but I have a couple questions.

Does the floor float? Or is it tied somehow to the foundation?

For the floor, they just leveled out the dirt, then added how many inches of gravel?

You say the floor is 7" deep? And does it come flush to the top of the foundation?

Is that some kind of black plastic on top of the gravel under the wire mesh?

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27548

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
frank, it was explained to me as a "keyway". the floor rests on the inside half of the foundation.
it called for compacted dirt, then 4" of gravel, 1 layer of wire, and 6" of fiber reinforced concrete. they ran short on gravel by 1" so i got a 7" floor that comes flush with the top of the foundation,and they had extra wire so i got 2 layers of wire. the inside walls were backfilled with gravel. the black plastic is a vapor barrier.
you can see the keyway in pic 4.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27549

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
frank, they did make 1 mistake imo. they nailed the plyscore walls up vertically. i made them remove it and nail it horizontally with overlapping seams as you would lay brick. its much stronger that way. they say they only do floors and roofs like that but didn't give me any hassle at all to redo the first wall.the name of this company is pine creek construction and they have crews all up and down the east coast. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27551

Very interesting, thanks for the answers to my questions Ron. You must be a happy guy, given all the crap you've gone through to get a new garage!

When will it be ready to park in (or whatever)?

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27553

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
by thursday.first think to initiate it will be the mantaray. lol

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27557

Excellent!

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27596

You got tough building codes!
They sure do make it tough to get a building up so they can raise your property taxes. :angry:

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27622

ron,im sorry i didnt post before this but there are alot of pics to download on dial up,lol,i spent an hour and 45 minutes this morning doing it.lol.
i was worried you were going to get the runaround and the foundation crew wouldnt be very good,but they are good ,those walls are very straight,and are deep enough that the frost shouldnt move them,i think they did a great job on the foundation.
remember when i said when we layed this foundation ,starting with 12 inch block,then at the level of the bottom of the floor we switched to 8 inch block,that was our keyway.it left 4 inches for the floor to lay on around the outside walls.

if they are as good at framing and finish work you will have a very good garage buddy,im glad your finaly gettin er done,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27624

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
it was a long battle dave and i ended up losing 2' of headroom and 3' of usable width on the 2nd floor because of height restrictions. now i have 5'2"h x 11'w x 20'l for 2nd floor storage... a mere pittance for my wifes STUFF. i still have room for a 12x16 shed behind the pond though. hmmmm

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27625

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john, the inspector said i have a good crew. i tell ya these amish guys are the best i've ever encountered, and i've worked alongside a lot of builders while landscaping new homes, and so polite. what really stuns me is i haven't heard anyone swear yet. ru kiddin me!
postin more progress pics (9)

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27626

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
more progress...... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27629

looking good buddy,im guessing there is a window in front above the garage door?,and that they left out a roof truss at the rear of the garage so that you have a 4 foot wide access to the upper floor?
and are they putting ladders in the eves?,so you can put soffit up and for extra strength,ill bet they will because they seem very good,and take pride in their work,looking great ron,im jelous i wish my shop was bigger,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27630

by the way we have a lezzers building supply here too,and they stock quality lumber,not as bad as some of the other chain stores.

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27631

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john-gibson wrote:

looking good buddy,im guessing there is a window in front above the garage door?,and that they left out a roof truss at the rear of the garage so that you have a 4 foot wide access to the upper floor?
and are they putting ladders in the eves?,so you can put soffit up and for extra strength,ill bet they will because they seem very good,and take pride in their work,looking great ron,im jelous i wish my shop was bigger,lol.john

john, theres a 3' wide staircase going up in the rear right corner. yes a window is going in above the garage door.
ladders in eave? don't know what they are. lol

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27632

Looks good Ron, thanks for the pics. Sure wish I could build one!

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27635

ron a ladder is a way to stiffen up your eves on the front and rear gables of your roof,
you see the 2x6 that they have up on the front left side of the garage?what they probably will do is add another 2x6 to the side of the garage with 2x6 pieces every 16 inches,hang on ill see if i can draw it,its hard to explain,but it looks like a ladder under your front and rear eves,other wise all that holds your eves is the plywood.and you have no where to nail up your soffit.

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 1 month ago #27636

ron here is a website that they are talking about eave ladders,its a little more complicated then it hhas to be,but basicly they are saying that without the ladder,and just having plywood hanging out a foot without it,it will sag ,especially with snowload and time,im still ooking for pics of it,lol,john forums.jlconline.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7560.html

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6326 guests and no members online