Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Be Careful Out There - NBR

Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18837

• crosbyboat
  • crosbyboat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I just came back from voting, doing my civic duty, which will cost me $500. We live out in the country, and vote in Coeymans Hollow. Coming back the 2 miles from the fire house a big 4 point buck jumped a guard rail and was onto the front of my Jeep before I had time to react. Big deer, and lots of damage to the front end. Hood, passenger quarter panel, passenger side door won't open, lights, etc. Not leaking coolant so drove it home for the tow truck to retrieve in the morning. Deer are really moving now and these damn bucks have no sense this time of the year. Not what I needed just before the holidays and trying to get my daughter and her Army Ranger out of Germany. Anyway, be careful out there, slow it down in deer and especially moose country. These accidents happen in a flash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18840

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad you're okay, Brian. Been there, hit that. (Deer, 9 yrs ago) $1800 damage to wife's car, me driving, scary!

Mark

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18841

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
YES, Bummer. Just saw a big one laying in medium 9am this morning 4 lane hwy, going out to vote. 1st poleing church in years. Usually have early vote here in the shopping malls. Many years ago my Albany friend taking a classic Corvette to Hershey , Pa auction creamed a deer on I-84.

. We have some right here in my back yard. Guess last two weeks were bow hunting season. My neighbor is a big hunter & leaves each morn at 6:30 with ATV on trl(Waking me up) . At 7:45 when sun comes up , the antler deer come out to his Front lawn & eat the small trees .!!!

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18842

Brian,
Yes glad your OK! I know the feeling all too well. The wife was driving our brand new 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix six months after we bought it and a Kamikazi Buck jumped out of the woods in the median of I-10 in Florida. She was doing 80 and the deer hit the drivers side rear quarter panel. $2400 in damage to bran new car! She also it a bambi a year prior. She's now know as our deer magnet. LOL

Bob

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18852

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
never hit one with a vehicle...but have hit a couple with a slug.

yep its that time of year.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18854

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ouch- That's no fun.

I almost hit one on a BICYCLE about two weeks ago- I was cruising down a nice hill, doing about 30mph, when one jumped across the road in front of me. I don't even want to think what might have happened had I hit it, Something tells me that in this case, the deer would win...

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18864

I vote the same place Brian does. This morning coming to work about 7:20 maybe I had to slam on the brakes on Starr Road (County 102) as a small herd of dear were about to cross. One did. I was lucky, just everything on the passenger seat ended up in the footwell!

Frank

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18872

a friend of mine hit one with a motorcycle,the buck jumped off a bank right on to him,he died about a 10 months later.
and i have hit 3 over the years,we live out in farm country,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18873

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Had a few close calls on the Road Bicycle you they dont hear you comming and they tend to jump in front of you, Never hit one but a dog hurts enough on a bike a deer would be bad... Glad your both ok.

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18940

Brian - you'll appreciate this...

A dozen years ago I lived on Grindstone Island in the St. Lawrence River for 6 months out of the year. Had to commute by boat every morning - a tough life, but someone had to do it. Anyway, one morning a fog set in hard - could barely see 10 feet ahead of me. I left early, knowing it was going to be a slow ride the four miles across the River that morning. Came around the point of Picton and Murray Islands and noticed what looked like a tree branch sticking out of the water. Changed course a bit and then noticed, as it materialized a bit more clearly out of the fog, that it was moving somewhat rhythmically - it was a rack on the head of a very large deer! He was swimming at a pretty good clip and had turned into my new path. I turned a bit more sharply to avoid him, passed him, and continued on my way.

The story doesn't end there. Same morning, I've docked my boat and am continuing my way into work by car, still very foggy. Came to the bottom of a small hill with a farmer's pond on the left. His small collection of ducks had wandered into the road, requiring me to brake and maneuver around them to avoid them.

So, in the same morning, I had to avoid a deer in my BOAT, and some ducks in my CAR.

- Scott

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18950

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Chinewalker wrote:

So, in the same morning, I had to avoid a deer in my BOAT, and some ducks in my CAR.

- Scott

interesting story...but chuckled at the end statement. :laugh:

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18953

lol scott...go figure... ron

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18987

Just wondering if Brian took the deer home...

see what we use to do down home, we had an old Pontiac (land yacht) that when the season came we would drive that around because the front end was re-enforced for the job and finding replacement parts where easy to find, we called it "the deer slayer"

after we took out a deer with it, we would butcher it in the back garage, and weight it and divide the cost of what ever had to be replaced on the deer slayer by what ever we managed to butcher and we would come up with a price per pound.

Now, when I first came up to Rochester, I was on my way to work with a friend just after we crossed the bay bridge right in front of me this big buck decide to kill himself on the side of a station wagon, so of course I had to pull over my pickup, my friend ask me why I was stopping and I told him...that is a perfectly good dead deer, all he did was brake his neck when he hit the car. grabbed my gut knife from under the seat and ask if he would help "toss" it into the back of the truck...

so we did...got out, ask the guy driving the wagon if he was ok and of course he was and I asked are you gonna keep it? his eyes got the size of silver dollars and he asked me...keep what, the deer? and he said no I am just waiting for the police to come make a report.

so my Friend and I, picked it up and on the count of three tossed it in the back of my truck with the tail gate down, it was a rather large buck and a small Toyota truck so you can draw a pretty descriptive picture on what happen next...

I got up in the truck with it, and began cutting down the abdominal ran this down and around to de-gut the deer and I really didn't notice while I was doing this...the three lanes of traffic on bay bridge now came to a craw...

when I ejected the abdominal cavity with the heel of my boot, the traffic all seem to head for the shoulder, and who ever didn't make it soon enough where wiping them self and the rest who made it where humming a tune in three point harmony with my friend as I got down out of the truck to toss the "bag" into the ditch. my friend looked at me and asked just where and the heck I learned to do that and I explained to him about the Pontiac and he said Dude you don't live in the "country" anymore!

least to say he wasn't in the mood to stop for breakfast, and he was afraid the gulls would attack the truck if we stopped, on the way to work I drop the deer off at a processor who dressed it down for $25 bucks.

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #18993

• crosbyboat
  • crosbyboat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The offender, will cost 4G to repair the Jeep, is hanging in the neighbors yard and will be cut up this weekend. Killed a mess of them with the guns, and almost as many with cars. They're like rodents around here. Policeman who came said they ought to leave the season open all year.

Loved the story Scott. Man, Grindstone for 6 months. I was actually thinking yesterday that that cold rainy day would have been perfect on the Island. Decoy set off towards Watch Island. Ducks in the AM. Then trolling for muskies in the afternoon and early evening. Followed by Rebel Yell by the fireplace, a good steak, and a thick book. That's my idea of retirement!

Re:Be Careful Out There - NBR 13 years 4 months ago #19003

hehe...mark told me about that on instant messenger, before he posted it. another great story. ron

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)