Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Deciding on a Pickup...

Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16856

• clbolt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I really need something to tow the Cobalt, but I'd been hoping to buy a truck that would handle that duty as well as allow me to get into delivering RVs. My wife and I have decided that it'll probably be another year before I can get the bigger truck I want. A couple of days ago, a friend emailed jokingly asking if I wanted to buy his 1984 Chevy pickup.

He's had the truck for 13 or 14 years. He bought it as a project, but just used it as a basic pickup until the engine just wore out. He didn't beat it up, just drove it. Anyway, he rebuilt a slightly warmed-over 350 for it a few years ago, but never really drove it. He had the transmission rebuilt and a mild shift kit installed, and completely redid the brakes. He then painted it 1985 Corvette red which cost him $1000 in materials. He didn't take any shortcuts, and the paint and body are stunning. He had the seat reupholstered in the factory material, and installed a new ACC carpet, along with new factory door panels and a new headliner. I think he also bought a new instrument bezel and the Silverado logo on the dash.

I found a set of 15x8" Rally wheels for him, and he installed a new set of tires (the stickers are still on them). The truck has a recent radiator, and he had a custom stainless dual exhaust system built, with 3 chamber Flowmasters and dual cats. The truck has a new windshield. It also has a pair of 12" subwoofers in a custom box behind the seat, driven by a pre-HD Fosgate Punch 75, and a set of components in the front doors driven by a Kicker amp. All the stereo gear aside from the Fosgate amp is brand new.

The carburetor has been a source of constant irritation for the last couple of years, and it's the reason he hasn't been driving the truck. It has an Edelbrock 600 carb on it, and the truck just won't run right with it. Another friend who's good with carbs can't figure it out. I think I'm better with carbs than he is, but I haven't worked on the truck. Worst case, I'd just buy a Holley 600 and be done with it.

The truck has been garage kept since the new paint, and it's a rust-free Texas truck.

Now for the bottom line: He wants $2500 for the truck. I figure with the carb worked out and the a/c fixed, it's an easy $5000 truck. I don't have $2500 today, but I have enough stuff to sell that I could come up with it fairly quickly. If I buy it and keep it, I'd install a steel cowl induction hood and a rear roll pan, and my friend has the paint and would spray them for me for free.

As impractical as it is, I'd like to have it for a toy. He won't offer it to anybody else till I make my decision.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"...And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you..." George Harrison

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16857

sounds good,but is it set up for hauling alot,like a transmission cooler and all types of hitches,fifth wheel,tag along,etc,i had a buddy that did it for a living,(haul campers)his was set up with all that and duel wheels,the biggest thing (i think anyhow)is how much torque to the wheels and rearend gearing.
i have a 2500 dodge pickup with a 5.7 hemi with 410 rears,and it does "ok"pulling a camper,it has about 350 hp,im not sure of the torque but its ,half of my father in laws 1 ton diesel,it has about 600 ft pounds of torque,it will out haul me anyday,and his is less then 350 hp.
by the way it sounds like a great truck i had an 84 chevy shortbed,i loved it ,except where i live i need 4 wheel drive and it wasnt.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16859

• clbolt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
john-gibson wrote:

sounds good,but is it set up for hauling alot,like a transmission cooler and all types of hitches,fifth wheel,tag along,etc,i had a buddy that did it for a living,(haul campers)his was set up with all that and duel wheels,the biggest thing (i think anyhow)is how much torque to the wheels and rearend gearing.
i have a 2500 dodge pickup with a 5.7 hemi with 410 rears,and it does "ok"pulling a camper,it has about 350 hp,im not sure of the torque but its ,half of my father in laws 1 ton diesel,it has about 600 ft pounds of torque,it will out haul me anyday,and his is less then 350 hp.
by the way it sounds like a great truck i had an 84 chevy shortbed,i loved it ,except where i live i need 4 wheel drive and it wasnt.john

The Chevy wouldn't be used for hauling anything more than the boat, it'd mainly be a toy. I'd finish customizing it and just enjoy driving it around town. In a year or so I'm going to be seriously looking for a Ford F450 with a 7.3 Powerstroke, and that would be the truck I'd use for commercial hauling.

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16860

I'd say it's a deal and buy it. I had an '86 GMC for years and got 4500 bucks for it as a clunker a year ago August and bought a brand new GMC Canyon 4wd. I love my new truck, but often miss that big old pickup I used to have. I would have been lucky to get 500 bucks for it if I sold it. It was rusty, no A/C, interior was trashed, but boy, mechanically it ran good and had awesome torque.

If that's an Edelbrock Performer carb, they get messed up with this ethanol fuel just like our old outboards do. You can get a kit for it at most NAPA stores (part # 735-3585) and rebuild it and I bet it will be fine as long as you use ethanol treatment regularly in your gas.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16863

cool,like i said i had a 84 chevy pickup,if i could have afforded it i would have bought a 4x4 ,and kept my 84 chevy it was a good looker.
i think your getting a good deal,i would love to see pics of it sometime,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16885

Look into a used "Hotshot", and then find a broker that deals in transporting campers.

And..your gonna want something around the F-550 range like this

trailer or fifth wheel, either or and an area in the truck that you can make a bunk for your self.

just a note, when and if DOT see the "transport" tags on the trailer they may pull you over for a inspection.
Attachments:

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16922

• clbolt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here are a couple of cell phone pics of the Chevy. He can't send better pics till he gets his PC back from the shop. Even though the truck is dusty, these show just how arrow straight the sheetmetal is, and how nice the shine is on the paint.

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16943

I don't know where your from, I'm trying to sell a `98 Dodge Ram 4x4, low 75K miles, lots of extras...S. FL

$1500 has been the only offer I've had in 3 weeks.
Attachments:

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16987

did i read he wanted to transport campers, that Ford 550 will move the moon if you could hook it to it.

Re:Deciding on a Pickup... 13 years 5 months ago #16994

• clbolt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
houston wrote:

did i read he wanted to transport campers, that Ford 550 will move the moon if you could hook it to it.

I did say I want to transport campers, but it's going to be at least a year before I can finance a suitable truck. I've looked at F450 and F550 trucks with the 7.3, and that's the direction I plan on going as soon as I can afford it. The Chevy is a truck I could buy now, use it for towing the boat, and finish customizing it the way I want it. Since the owner is a good friend, I've known what he's done to the truck every step of the way. There were no shortcuts taken, because he wasn't building it with the intention of ever selling it. With the quality of the build, I could sell it tomorrow for a profit if I wanted. He's just offering me a deal because he knows I appreciate the quality of the work he's done, and that we have the same basic vision for completing it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024