Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1962 MFG Westfield & new boat owner

1962 MFG Westfield & new boat owner 10 years 7 months ago #82074

Greetings all,
As of 8/14 I am the proud owner of a beautiful 1962 MFG Westfield that some previous owner designated "Cuffs" (I am hoping they were a law enforcement officer...). Sadly, the Mercury 800 she came with isn't running and my tow vehicle is barely running so I doubt she will see the water this season.

I am also a new boat owner and I'm excited at the prospect of exploring the lakes and rivers around me. I do have one question though: the motor my boat is equipped with has manual trim/tilt. How does one manage launching and retrieving the boat while having to manually lift the motor?

Here's some eye candy:

image by a747freak , on Flickr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1962 MFG Westfield & new boat owner 10 years 7 months ago #82097

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard 747. Looks like you found a nice one there. Operating your rig without Power T&T is certainly doable, just a little more strenuous, obviously. I found it helpful to put one foot against the transom to gain/aid in leverage to get her tilted up when necessary, there should be a tilt lock on your Merc to hold her in the up position.

Quite a few of the gang here have converted the older Mercs over to PT&T, you may want to read through the Merc Outpost section to find some of the previous threads on that subject, or ask the question there.

Mark

Re:1962 MFG Westfield & new boat owner 10 years 7 months ago #82196

Hm, I'm not sure that mine has a working tilt lock. Is it a lever or something?

Re:1962 MFG Westfield & new boat owner 10 years 4 months ago #86749

You've got a Mercury outboard. The lock releases when the control is in the forward position - it's locked when in neutral and reverse. So to tilt the motor, put the control in forward, then tilt up the motor. There is a tilt lock when fully raised on the port side of the motor. To lower, you pull the motor up s tad, then might have to lift up on the tilt lock a bit to fully release the motor, then go ahead lower the motor.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)