Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: proper stain color 1959 MFG

proper stain color 1959 MFG 11 years 3 months ago #72192

can anyone tell me the proper stain color for the deck aqnd seating for the 1959 MFG 15' ?? any help would be greatly appreciated / thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:proper stain color 1959 MFG 11 years 3 months ago #72496

No replys to this post.I hope this might help.I don't know how to link this post to a earlier post,but look for previous post titled"57 cambridge owner,new to Fiberglassics.com"

Re:proper stain color 1959 MFG 11 years 3 months ago #72500

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Mark

Re:proper stain color 1959 MFG 11 years 3 months ago #72612

MarkS.....Thank you

Re:proper stain color 1959 MFG 11 years 3 months ago #72825

thnx / this appears way to "reddish" to match my interior - it's a more golden / nice boat , thanks for the help

Re:proper stain color 1959 MFG 11 years 1 month ago #74468

I have discovered that just clear varnish (after 5-6 coats) and sanding in between each coat , will achieve the proper color . I will probably finish with 10-12 coats . Thanks for the input

Re:proper stain color 1959 MFG 11 years 1 month ago #74478

I'm glad you found out because I've been kicking around the idea of trying to put the helm and deck back on my 59 MFG. Thanks.

Re:proper stain color 1959 MFG 10 years 8 months ago #80675

Five months later I see this thread, sorry.

I believe you are on the right path. My project, for which you can see the "before" pictures at www.flickr.com/photos/dcollicott/sets/72157621048403453 , had yellowed due to UV exposure, as well as had some areas that were just plain damaged.

Once I removed some of the hardware, I found some protected areas that had the original color, and it was more of a typical honey varnish. I have replaced the be cap wood and totally refinished the rest of the wood, varnished with Schooner Gold, and it has ended up with the same beautiful color.

I'm interested in what your experience is with the ten to twelve coats. I have done six, and it's not as resistant to wear as it was before; it seems to have a sort of shell finish, very tolerant to wear. However, when I asked the people at Interlux (makers of Schooner Gold) about this, they said (if I remember the conversation correctly) it was likely some sort of final coat that gave it that shell and they could sell me such a product, but if I did that it would prevent me form doing an annual maintenance coat of anything else in the future. Apparently, constantly watching out for nicks and dings is just how life is with a wood boat. I can accept that; it's certainly preferable to not having the boat in the first place.

I would be interested to hear about your results.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)