Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rotted transom

Rotted transom 11 years 9 months ago #63680

I was getting the model and serial number off my block today so I can attempt to put pistons and rings in my dead motor. Something told me to check out the transom. Its rotted.
Do I give up and part out my 69 mfg caprice and junk her or is fixing the transom something I could attempt?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Rotted transom 11 years 9 months ago #63706

Oh yes you can replace it. I'm not sure how your looks but you can replace the plywood inside the transom or you may be able to use one of the pour in replacement available. See the post with seacast in the title in the main forum. There is another one available too. Try posting in the main forum also. Many of the boats are constructed the same. Pics are always a big help too.

Re:Rotted transom 11 years 9 months ago #63737

• capy235
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I am in the process right now after studying all the great transon rebuilds on this site. I have removed the inner fiberglass and chiseled out the wood. My transom was 50% sound and 50% dryrot that crumbled easily in my hand.

Now to cut a couple of three quarter ply pieces, join them and epoxy them back in place. It is dirty work but rather simple really. Andrew on this site is the master of rebuilt transom information. Then I get to do the inder deck stringers......

Good luck.

Re:Rotted transom 11 years 9 months ago #63777

Thanks for the info. Mine is about the same 50/50. Good luck with yours too.

Re:Rotted transom 11 years 9 months ago #64334

I have removed the drive. Pulling the engine soon. Looks like buying a used running engine is less expensive than rebuilding. During inspection of my rotted transom noticed that stringer is rotted too. I have a fiberglass floor. Should I cut the whole floor out in one piece or half to see what i got going on? I want to go with a newer engine and drive. When doing the transom, Do I just glass the cut out in the stern?

Re:Rotted transom 11 years 7 months ago #68332

Google 1964MFG and you will find my blog which explains
the Nida Core transom replacement.
Bill
1964mfg

Re:Rotted transom 11 years 7 months ago #69728

I finally removed the engine. Here are some pics. of what I am up against. Sorry cant figure why no pics.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)