Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New owner 1964 Niagara Custom

New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 10 months ago #63317

Hello everyone. I am new to MFG Boats. I have just brought home the best looking fiberglass boat I have ever set eyes on. It is a 1964 Niagara Custom with red foredeck and gunnels. She is a complete vintage package with original outboard, trailer, windsheild, deck hardware, Fun and Sun front and rear seats, bimini,and boarding ladder. She's great, I love this boat. For twenty one years now I have owned and still use an antique wooden 14' boat with a tag inside that says "Johnson Boat and Motor", great boat. Needed something a bit larger but still small, and still classic looking. My sister sent me an email picture of a MFG Niagara and I was instantly hooked. I have been compounding the topsides to bring back the shine, and she is responding beautifully. I would like to ask where I can go to replace the bimini, which unfortunately was eaten by mice and would have been perfect if not for this. It fits into the groove on the top of the windsheild, not above it. The frame is ok. Also, is there a source to buy a front pennant with MFG on it? This boat has been well cared for and very clean, I feel lucky to have found her. Thank you, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 10 months ago #63331

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have you join us. Congrats on the "new" Niagra Custom, we'd love to see some pics of her! (We love pics around here.) It sounds like the top you have would have to be made by a canvas (local upholstery) shop. The style that hooks to the windshield is commonly called a Navy top, they're a little different than the generic "Bimini" style tops available from the normal marine suppliers like West Marine, Iboats.com, etc.. Luckily you have the old one to use as a pattern, hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Here's a thread where several members here had burgees (pennants) made for their boats;
www.fiberglassics.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=62&func=view&catid=2&id=36668#36683
You can also find them on Ebay occasionally, do a search on Parts and Accessories - Boat

Mark

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 10 months ago #63337

Hello Mark,
Thanks for the reply and info. The top I have has the MFG label still on the underside, and the canvas is in like new condition so it is a real shame the mice got to it. I became hopeful when I saw the label which has the name of the manufacturer and code numbers for the top, side curtains, and the stern cover. It's a large hole, but I suppose it could be patched. I like the way it mounts to the windshield instead of above it making for a cozy feel at the helm. This is my first fiberglass boat, I have always owned wood boats but find myself wanting something more user friendly. I will keep my wooden runabout, she is a member of the family and a beautiful little boat with a dependable 1983 Honda 9.9 HP four stroke outboard, and she doesn't ship a drop of water. This MFG Niagara is also the most beautiful little fiberglass boat I have ever seen, and I stand at the kitchen window starring at her. When I get it together I will post photos. This boat has already appeared on this forum by the previous owner and are still on. When I'm ready, I will check on the bow pennant. Thanks again, Mike

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63518

Hello,
Here are some pictures of my 1964 Niagara Custom. She is cleaning up very well.I will have to rebuild the Fun'N'Sun seats. The front seats are intact but weak, and as you can see the rear seats need a lot of help. I have found and purchased a bow pennant on line that has the MFG logo on both sides. The 1960 40 HP Johnson Super Sea Horse has not been touched yet, and hasn't been run since 1997. Thanks for looking, Mike

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63520

Sorry, having trouble adding pictures to my post. Can someone help? It gives a message saying the file is too large to submit.

THanks, Mike

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63522

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/support/how-to-post-pictures

here's a link about posting pics here on the forum. i use picasa photo editing software (free from Google) but other on here have has success with the programs mentioned in the thread i linked. you're limited in both file size and picture size, so keep that in mind.

Looking forward to pics!

-Chris

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63526

• capy235
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
If it is just one big hole consider adding an accent panel, Any good boat canvass place can do it. Cut out a cross section the size of the hole and sew in a contrast panel. You get to keep most of it and with a little creative sewing it should come back to look new.

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63527

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/support/how-to-post-pictures

here's a link about posting pics here on the forum. i use picasa photo editing software (free from Google) but others on here have has success with the programs mentioned in the thread i linked. you're limited in both file size and picture size, so keep that in mind.

Looking forward to pics!

-Chris

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63586

Chris,

I tried to open the link, but it would not work. I am still having trouble posting the pics. Still trying, but not having much luck.

Mike

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63587

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i'll try and repost the link. not sure what went wrong. basically you are limited in physical size of the picture and in file size. you could have a pic that has the right file size, but is too large physically (or vice versa) and it won't let you post it. i like using a program called picasa. it's free from google and will allow you to set pixel and file sizes when reducing a picture.

picasa.google.com/

here's a re-try at the picture link:

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/7-support/22256-how-to-post-pictures.html

if the link doesn't work, just go to the main page for forum categories and then head to the "Support" category. the very first thread is a locked thread called "How to post pictures." that's what i'm trying to link you to.

also, if you want to post more than one pic, you have to insert one picture, click submit, let it post completely, and then edit your post to add one more pic. repeat as necessary.

-Chris

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63601

Thanks for the link. When I previewed the link, I indeed am following the correct steps. When I try to preview the post and picture, nothing shows up and I have also gotten this message when I try to view my profile:

This user has not yet confirmed his email address and account!
This user has not yet been approved by a moderator

I have confirmed the email address and account or I would not be able to post to the forum. Is this maybe the reason why my pictures will not show up? Any suggestions on what to do next as I have tried everything?

Mike

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63602

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I would post this issue to the "support" category. That's where issues with the site are brought to the moderator's attention. Sorry that you're having issues right out of the gate. Hopefully they can be resolved real fast!

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63607

• mfgwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry to everyone. Something went wrong with my registration so I have started over and reregistared. Here we go, hope it was worth it. Mike

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63633

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sweet looking boat Mike, looks to be in very good original condition, congrats! Sorry about the troubles you had with registration, we've been having a few "hiccups" with the forum lately. Definitely worth the extra work though, you found a nice one IMHO. ;)

Mark

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63664

• mfgwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Mark. She is a really nice little boat. As I said before, this is my first fiberglass boat, have always had wood. The Niagara is so simple and uncomplicated , that I'm sure it will be much easier to keep up. The pictures show the condition of the rear Fun'N'Sun seats, they are shot. I would like to keep the original integrity of the boat, but may have to replace the seating with new. Too soon to know. The only thing missing off the boat is one of the metal arrowheads at the end of the rub rail along the hull, not very noticeable. The hull has survived nearly 50 years in remarkable condition, not even a water line stain. The 1960 Johnson 40 HP Super Seahorse has not been touched yet, I know nothing about this engine. Not sure when we will have her in the water. This was not a wife approved project, and my son thought she was ugly. However now that she is cleaned up and the potential revealed, everyone wants a ride ASAP! Thanks again for the reply, Mike

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63740

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
mfgwiz wrote:

now that she is cleaned up and the potential revealed, everyone wants a ride ASAP!

Funny how that works, eh? :laugh:

Nice boat!

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63757

• mfgwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks riceman, I guess you can appreciate my situation. I planned on buying a vintage MFG Niagara and spend time and money over a long time span and fix it up. This boat was basically just dirty when I looked at it so it hasn't taken much to bring her into usable shape. Mike

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #63768

Congratulations on your beautiful boat and on learning how to post pics on this forum.

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #64873

Mike, your new boat looks awesome! I love how original it is and I'm super jealous that yours has the original seats. I wish mine did. Can't wait to see more pics.

Sadie

Re:New owner 1964 Niagara Custom 11 years 9 months ago #64989

• mfgwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Sadie. Those original seats are great because of their versatility. They can be swiveled around and reclined, however they are not in usable condition and will have to be rebuilt. I plan to make new covers for them using the instructions found here on Fiberglassics but it may well be beyond my capability. My wife is a quilter and there are 25 antique sewing machines in the house so maybe one of them will be strong enough to do the job along with her help. Best of luck with your boat. Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)