Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New MFG Westfield 65'

New MFG Westfield 65' 9 months 3 weeks ago #148123

New westie. Lots of work to do. Started with pouring a new transom, then a foamectomy, filling 20 holes in deck from Sears over the years,glassing over the whole deck now. Still need a source for a new windshield. Mine is severely scuffed, brittle, and cracked 95% up the middle.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New MFG Westfield 65' 9 months 3 weeks ago #148124

Hey there. Do you have any photos of the transom re-do? My 65' Niagara is probably due for a rebuild and I've never done that process before.

New MFG Westfield 65' 9 months 3 weeks ago #148127

Looks awesome so far. Great work. And x2 on photos of the transom work I'm not certain on mine. Seems solid but I might redo it anyway to be safe.

New MFG Westfield 65' 9 months 3 weeks ago #148128

Not really any good pictures. I unscrewed the metal top cap of transom. Cut fiberglass cap off. Used a chainsaw very careful to get most of the wood out. Then used an assortment of steel brushes on drill extension. Used 2 PCs of gorilla tape on holes less than 3/8", for larger holes up to 1 1/2" I crossed crossed 2 PCs tape, followed by cardboard taped over it. All holes even from #6 screws need to be covered. Used a drill paddle slowly to mix the Arjay 6011 and poured till level with transom. I let it set up for 15-20 mins, gorilla taped the high sides and used a cement piping bag to fill those high sides up to top. Glassed up top cap with 2 layers of 1708 polyester resin. Then gelcoat.
In hindsight, it was a lot of work to do the liquid transom. I would probably just cut back skin off and use marine plywood, then reglass the back. It lasted for almost 60 yrs that way before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arpauly, charestv

New MFG Westfield 65' 7 months 2 weeks ago #148407

All holes and cracks patched, floor is glassed over with 2 layers of 1708 to stiffen up, need to fix that white line. Anyone have a source for windshield? Thanks
Attachments:

New MFG Westfield 65' 6 months 6 days ago #148502

Slowly but surely. Using softsand rubber particles for anti slip floor. Using gelcoat and broadcast method. So far so good, need to add final top coat and floor will be finished. Also replaced wooden bow eye backing with a composite one. Still in search of a windshield for this old girl. Thanks
Attachments:

New MFG Westfield 65' 5 months 2 days ago #148544

I can replicate an existing one for this model but don’t have a saved mold. I think the Sears boats use the same windshield if you can find one used that someone is discarding. I’ve searched for places that can make or have extra frames but haven’t had any luck so far.
If there’s no other options you could always just have a generic wrap around style windshield made with no frame and use the TaylorMade white vinyl deck channel (bottom gasket) with their hidden hold down fasteners to mount it. I’ve done that on a few old Larsons and a G3 and it worked well enough.

The Plastics Guy
- Sacramento, CA

New MFG Westfield 65' 2 months 3 weeks ago #148626

Thanks I will look into those options. Im leaning towards a replication.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.245 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)