Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1957 MFG Union

1957 MFG Union 3 years 2 months ago #143959

Just purchased a 1957 Union with a 1960 Johnson Sea Horse. The boat was purchased originally by the grandfather of the guy I purchased it from. He ordered it originally with 1 Erie Front Seat Back and 1 Center seat back installed. I have the original invoice! I'm excited about enjoying the boat and using this incredible group of people to help when I need it. I've spent quite a bit of time on this forum and there is some really terrific stuff here. The big challenge for me will be the lack of a windshield. I'll probably attempt the aluminum channel wrapped polycarbonate project myself.

I'f anyone has any initial tips after viewing the photos, please let me know.

Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1957 MFG Union 3 years 2 months ago #143960

davnau6345 is the MFG man. He can give you some info more than anyone on MFG. He'll chime in at some point . that is one sweet boat you have there !
The following user(s) said Thank You: radamblake

1957 MFG Union 3 years 1 month ago #144023

She sure is a wonderful boat, love the twin horns. Great that you know the history. That will add a lot to the conversation when folks ask about her. I’m looking forward to more photos as you go forward.

1957 MFG Union 3 years 1 month ago #144028

That's a very nice one and from the pictures, in real good shape. Very cool you have the original dealer's invoice. Also, very nice that it came with the optional seat backs.

The windshield is not a huge deal. Very often smaller boats like that did not have a windshield. I'd leave it as is, or try to find a used period-correct one.

If you have any questions, shoot me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I'm located in Barberton, OH, just outside Akron in NE Ohio. I see your boat has an Ohio registration number, so maybe you're fairly close to me.

I'm real active in the hobby. I'm the membership services person for the Antique Outboard Motor Club, Inc. (AOMCI - and the guy you send dues to) and on the board of the Antique and Classic Boat Society (ACBS). I own two MFGs - a 1962 Edinboro and a 1966 Niagara. My dad had four MFGs (long story) while growing up in the 60's, so I'm real familiar with them.

For a good story on how MFG got into the boat business (hint - it's tied to the story of the early Chevy Corvette!), see the first part of this:

Hope to hear from you and happy to help any way I can.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

1957 MFG Union 3 years 1 month ago #144029

Thanks Dave! Please check your email.
Adam

1957 MFG Union 3 years 1 month ago #144030

Thank you Jolly Jack. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you!

1957 MFG Union 3 years 1 month ago #144032

I also picked up MFG connection with GM building the Corvette bodies. So I named my boat Sea Vette. Couple of photos of her.
She looks a little out of proportion with the long shaft Johnson 30 on an adapter plate. Just finished a redcoat of varnish.and she ready for the season.
Attachments:

1957 MFG Union 3 years 1 month ago #144043

I want to thank davnau6345 for posting the video of the history of MFG. I’m very proud to own a small piece of that history.
I noted on the sale receipt dated Oct 26, 1957, there is a number 77395. I’m guessing that is the hull number.
My boat registration sticker shows she was built in Ashtabula, Ohio. Hull number is 770__ something. If that is accurate, my boat could be a ‘56 model or ,at least, a ‘57 for sure. I’m including a couple of photo photos of my recent varnish job.
Attachments:

1957 MFG Union 3 years 1 month ago #144093

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Too bad my boss at USCG HQ in the late 80's has since passed away. He was chief engineer at MFG back in the 60's , and yes they were making press molded bodies for the vette. They made fiberglass hulls the same way. It was an expensive process, but made a beautiful and very strong hull.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7998 guests and 3 members online