• Page:

TOPIC: Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware

Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 7 years 10 months ago #123209

• davnau6345
  • davnau6345's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Has anyone had any luck restoring the white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware? Any tips to share, such as materials used?

My new to me Edinboro really could use some help in this area. My Niagara has good chrome hardware and did not need this step.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 7 years 10 months ago #123217

Congrats! on your new boat. Looks good. Although I haven't started on recoating the deck hardware on my 65 Niagara yet. I was going to try the rubber coating sold on Metro Restyling web site. I bought 3M vinyl too redo my ski racks & pockets form them. Their sercive was excellant.

Re:Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 7 years 10 months ago #123219

• davnau6345
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks and thanks for the tip.

That's a rare red 1965 Niagara you have there! Most out there are blue, and the red got replaced with coppertone for 1966.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 7 years 10 months ago #123226

have you talked to the vinyl wrap folks that wrap buses and cars ?
that may be an option ?

Re:Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 7 years 10 months ago #123229

• davnau6345
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hmmm - that might work.

I wonder how durable it would be on the cleats with abrasion from lines?

Re:Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 7 years 10 months ago #123230

• davnau6345
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
In doing some digging, I found this stuff, XL-8 from V.O. Baker Company in Mentor, OH. Seems to have the right characteristics and can be sprayed, brushed or dipped. A gallon is $90 so it's pricey. I would think a gallon would coat enough hardware for three or four boats.

Mentor is only a 1/2 hour from me, so I'll drive out sometime soon and check it out.

If it works, I think I may go into the re-coating of MFG deck hardware business! There are plenty of shops that do chrome, but not plastic coating.

See:

vobaker.com/XL-8-Plastic-Coating-White.html

Re:Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 7 years 10 months ago #123430

I have the same issue with my '63 Edinboro. I ended up spraying them but I'm not thrilled with the result. Please let us know how this goes. Too bad its pricey and we are far apart, I'd be happy to split a gallon with you!

Talbot

Re:Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 7 years 9 months ago #123736

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
You might consider powder coating them at a cycle or atv shop that specializes in smaller parts and quantities. Choose a hard abrasion resistant top film after the color. Wrap material typically does not provide much abrasion resistance since it's only 3-4 Mls thick, even with the top film. When we do boat graphics with it, it's recommended not to go below the water line to keep water out from In between the wrap and the body from hitting the waves. Some of that dip material is pretty tough also and easy to do at home.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..

Re:Restoring white plastic-coated MFG deck hardware 6 years 2 months ago #135611

• davnau6345
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
So it's been a long time, but I finally got the hardware powder-coated on my 1962 MFG Edinboro.. The cost to strip and coat the nine pieces was just under $200. A steal compared to what chrome plating can cost. It's a very close match to the original plastic-coated hardware. I went with a semigloss finish get a better match to the original.

I'd recommend going this route. Result was excellent and not cost prohibitive.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)