Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: spatter paint suggestions?

spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 3 months ago #118973

I'm trying, with not much luck, to find some spatter paint, preferably in a rattle can, to match the original interior paint in my '59 MFG Erie. Not as easy to find as I hoped! Does anyone know if this exists, or some clever way to duplicate it? I've attached a pic, but it's a beige with light blue and gray specks.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 3 months ago #119005

I've come close by going to an automotive paint supplies shop that has a scanner and can mix custom paint. I had them scan areas in-between splatters of the main color, then had them mix up some of that. It was packaged in a small bottle with a brush.

I then brush-painted painted the area needed with it (I was doing touch up from repair of a small crack), then added the "dots" of the splatters myself. In my case it was on my 1966 Niagara, with blue background and black and white dots.

Not perfect, but better than not doing it at all. With practice and a good background match, it looks pretty good, particularly since it was it was a area under the bow and not in the open.

Only other option I know of is to repaint everything with new splatter paint, such as Zolatone, and try to get something close to what you have.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 3 months ago #119014

davnau6345 wrote:

Only other option I know of is to repaint everything with new splatter paint, such as Zolatone, and try to get something close to what you have.

Thanks Dave- Your method would be great for touch up, but I forgot to mention that I would like to do the whole thing, so it's the "getting something close" part that I need help with! :)

Re:spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 3 months ago #119024

that looks hard to duplicate ?
But since you're planning on doing the whole thing ?
Do what you want ? no one will know the difference ?
Not knocking MFG's, because I have one, but this isn't a pre-war Chris or Hacker Craft that your restoring ? Just my opinion...

Re:spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 3 months ago #119035

That's true, an MFG is not some high-end wood boat, but still nice. If were me, and I was going to do the whole inside of the hull, then I would just try to get an off-the-shelf splatter paint that comes close to matching.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 3 months ago #119039

if you would do an advanced search for "spatter paint" it should pull up some old posts from a couple years ago...the subject was rather well discussed back then...john

Re:spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 3 months ago #119048

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Zolatone made the "splatter" paint used by Glasspar and several other boat manufactures. They are still around.

Float happy.

Al

www.zolatone.com/

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 3 months ago #119053

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Check out a company called "the eastwood company". They sell many specialty paints for auto restoration. Remember the splatter trunk paint used in the 60's in most car trunks? They sell it in spray cans in many color combos.

search.eastwood.com/search?w=trunk%20spatter%20paint

Re:spatter paint suggestions? 8 years 2 months ago #119882

Hey liveforoldboats,

Go check to see how Bob ( Waterwings) did his spatter pattern.
Look at the thread "1958 Wilson restoration begins (slowly)"
in the projects section. He used a toothbrush, and flicked the bristles to spatter the paint.
Just get your colors, and go to town.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)