Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Source for plywood decking?

Source for plywood decking? 8 years 6 months ago #115235

Hi all,

Still restoring my dad's boat after 2-1/2 years.... (my original post is here- www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/mfg-owners-group/59-erie-questions )

I now have the original decking removed and need new plywood. I have not been very successful in finding an equivalent replacement. I "settled" for some Marianti, sight unseen (I will not tell you how much I paid for it...), but I'm not real happy with it. It's too brown. Even after cutting it all out I am thinking I should try harder to find something that will come out as a nice golden color like the original.

If I remember correctly, the factory used Philippine Mahogany and no stain.

Anyone know if that same plywood exists today, because I could not find any.

Thanks,

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Source for plywood decking? 8 years 6 months ago #115237

I think that the 5mm thick "Luan" 4' by 8' sheets they sell at the big box home centers is Philippine mahogany or something similar...perhaps you can epoxy that stuff to some sort of structural plywood backing. As an experiment I have left pieces of that stuff outdoors uncovered for months without it de-laminating...

Re:Source for plywood decking? 8 years 6 months ago #115247

Check with a local woody boater from your local ACBS chapter, or a local boat restoration shop.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)