Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Purchasing a 196? Niagra...

Purchasing a 196? Niagra... 8 years 9 months ago #112073

Hello, I am new to the site and Monday I am picking up a 196? Niagra. The seller bought the boat from his friend 10 years ago and does not have a title for it. It's distinctive features are that it has 2 Bow lights separated by a bow cleat. I think this means that it is a 1965 Niagra Custom. He thinks it is a 1969 because the stern plate # ends in 69. What do you guys think?

I also was wondering what manufacturer of boat cover would you guys recommend?

And yes, I will post pictures as soon as I get the boat!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Purchasing a 196? Niagra... 8 years 9 months ago #112109

The separate (white-coated) lights were only used for 1965. Serial numbers back then were sequential and had nothing to do with the year. Best way to identify the model is to look at old sales brochures, available on this website.

For covers, there are lots of good choices. I just ordered a cheap under $40 cover from Walmart.com for my Niagara. We'll see how it works out.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Purchasing a 196? Niagra... 8 years 9 months ago #112117

1965 Great! I want to get 2 covers for her, a full cover and one of those Biminis that snap to the windshield and have the shorter rod setups. The original owner does not know lot about MFG's but from the pictures I saw it looked like she has the original Fun N Sun front seats with the rear ones removed. I will have to decide whether to install two lounge style seats behind the front ones or if I am going to put 2 jump seats in the stern. If I go with the jump seats I might put in a Moeller "permanent" fuel tank with a sending unit under the rear spashwell.

Re:Purchasing a 196? Niagra... 8 years 9 months ago #112123

Those Bemis are nice I have one keep me from frying

Re:Purchasing a 196? Niagra... 8 years 9 months ago #112124

Those Bemis are nice I have one keep me from frying
Attachments:

Re:Purchasing a 196? Niagra... 8 years 9 months ago #112142

a Niagara custom has the ski racks on each side and self bailing transom if it doesn't have that it's just a Niagarae great boats here is a vid out in mine on the 4th.

Re:Purchasing a 196? Niagra... 8 years 9 months ago #112189

Today is Monday and I went to see the boat. It is definitely a 1965 Niagara Custom. Twin bow lights and Ski rails are there. Original Fun' N Sun seats in the front in great condition, mounted on stainless. Gorgeous boat powered by a fairly clean 1971 Evinrude Lark 50 with corresponding Selectric remote control. She ran great and shifted fine. Trailer is a little rough but with a little TLC I'll get it looking better.

Here are the issues:

Rear Fun N' Sun seats are present, not installed and in very rough condition, but at least I have them.

The windshield is cracked through on the left uppermost corner, about a 4" long crack... not too much spidering though. Also no snaps on windshield frame.

The ski rails are all there but the wood is splintery and shows a few spots where rot has begun, seems more like dry rot though. Trying to figure what kind of wood it is made of.

Couple of dings on the bow and the rub rail is a little loose on the port side.

All in all I think she is worth it!
You will all see pictures on Thursday/Friday

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7471 guests and one member online