TOPIC: First Boat-66 Niagara

First Boat-66 Niagara 8 years 11 months ago #108741

• 66Niagara
  • 66Niagara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Guys,

My name is Mike, I am 31 Years old and a first time boat owner.

First of all I have just bought my first boat. I grew up on the lake and my dad had all sorts of boats growing up but they were never mine. So I started looking for one in January and found someone who wanted a bigger boat and was getting rid of this. I didn't want fiberglass at first, cause I just wanted to use it for fishing.. But when he told me his price of $300.00 I had second thoughts one for the price the second because I have 4 kids.

I finally got it last Sunday. The kid who had it did not know what kind of boat it was and on the reg it said MISC, after about 5 minutes of looking over the boat I found the MFG symbol on the windshield and also on the plate with the serial number. I looked it up to find to my surprise its a pretty rare boat! Its a 14ft 1966 MFG Niagara, it came with a 1973 50HP Johnson Evenrude that was pretty much rebuilt except for the carbs and a Holsclaw trailer model a-900 that I cant find any information on.

It has no real seats and no ski racks. it also has a new bow light that only has 2 screws instead of 3. Im gonna restore her as I have already started the process. But I'm gonna keep the "bench" seats and cover them with white marine vinyl and foam to give it that nostalgic look. I am also going to put in a Fish finder and trolling motor as well as a fuel water separator and update the steering wheel and cables cause there still on pulleys and there illegal here in RI. Im gonna paint the bottom of the boat (Inside) White and the sides of the boat on the inside the color the boat is because its easier to clean and i think it will look nice as well.

I cleaned her up and re wired the entire boat just because. I named her Irene after my grandmother who lived on the lake I grew up on for 50 years. My dad passed away in 2010 and I know he would have wanted me to name her this My dad was a huge boat guy!

I attached some pictures but I will definitely take some more detailed pictures for you all to see

So I have some Questions.

Does anyone know what the original Bow light was called? It was much bigger and had 3 screws. Looks kind of like the end of a horn.
There is a place right in front of the windshield in the middle where something was once attached? a Horn?
Does anyone know where I can find the Dash trim that said MFG Niagara for the passenger side of the dash?
Does anyone know where I could get the windshield replaced or repaired?
Does anyone have any idea if the Hull grommets for the old seats, will they fit the new style seats? like same bolt pattern?
Does anyone know what the top paint color is called for this boat?
Does anyone know where i can get a boat cover for this Boat?

Thanks guys! I read so many great things on this sight that I had to join in on the fun. I hope you all can help me out! Look forward to your responses!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: First Boat-66 Niagara 8 years 11 months ago #108754

66Niagara,

WELCOME ABOARD.= Looks like a good 1st project.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:First Boat-66 Niagara 8 years 11 months ago #108763

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have you join us. Accessories such as bow lights, horns, etc. were often installed by the dealer. This means that there were many possibilities on what was originally installed on your boat. If you haven't visited the FiberGlassics Library yet, there are sections for MFG boats, Hardware and Accessories, trailers, etc.. You might be able to spot something there that matches the pattern on your bow. Some of this stuff is still available today as "re-pops" (Perko for instance still makes many of their classic items), while others must be sourced thru eBay, yard sales, etc.

Have fun and look around, lots of great research and resource material available here.

Mark

Re:First Boat-66 Niagara 8 years 11 months ago #108778

• Onkyo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Congrats on your first boat. It looks great, and ready to use. Have fun wit it.

Re:First Boat-66 Niagara 8 years 11 months ago #108874

I can help, I have one exactly like yours - same year, model and color. Both of our boats are the base model and they came with MFG-made back-to-back seats from the factory, with no ski racks, but did include the splash well that year. Obviously a previous owner removed the seats and installed the thwart seats. This model never had that style for seating, but if you like it, go with it. Niagara's were MFG's most popular boat at the time and are pretty easy to find, especially in Ohio and Pennsylvania, where there were lots of MFG dealers around years ago.

To answer your questions:

Does anyone know what the original Bow light was called? It was much bigger and had 3 screws. Looks kind of like the end of a horn.

MFG used these lights on a number of model and went to a chrome hardware rather than the previously used white-coated hardware on this model in 1966. You might be able to find one on ebay or from a donor boat. I still have the original chrome hardware, including the light, on mine.

There is a place right in front of the windshield in the middle where something was once attached? a Horn?

There should be a cleat on front of the middle of the windshield area. If your cleat is there, then a previous owner mounted and then removed something else - maybe a horn or light.

Does anyone know where I can find the Dash trim that said MFG Niagara for the passenger side of the dash?

That will be tough - you would need to get one from a donor boat or have one made. I still have mine there - if you can find someone to make one, I could get the dimensions and take a picture of it.

Does anyone know where I could get the windshield replaced or repaired?

Yours does not look that bad from the pictures - what is wrong with it? The original Taylor-made windshield is out of production, but there are companies out there that will make a replica, or if the frame and white gasket are still good, try polishing it if is scratched and hazy.

Does anyone have any idea if the Hull grommets for the old seats, will they fit the new style seats? like same bolt pattern?

Not sure I know what you mean here.

Does anyone know what the top paint color is called for this boat?

MFG called it Horizon Blue. MFG never used paint - it's gel coat. Try polishing it out - instructions are on this website.

Does anyone know where i can get a boat cover for this Boat?

You can get covers most anywhere. I got mine at Walmart recently, but I have not tried it yet for fit. I'll let you know how it works out.

I have more pictures on this site of my Niagara at:

www.fiberglassics.com/gallery/category/461-1966-mfg-niagara.html

Happy to help in any way I can.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:First Boat-66 Niagara 8 years 11 months ago #109119

• 66Niagara
  • 66Niagara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you so much! I private messaged you! I actually have been using your boat to see what mine should be :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6760 guests and one member online