Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercury 500 impeller replacement

Mercury 500 impeller replacement 13 years 10 months ago #9087

Hi, new to the board and hopefully soon to be the owner of a 60's HydroSwift. We're heading to UT in about a week and boat is at the in-laws. Pretty clean boat and hopefully we can get it on the water while we're there.

Outboard is a Mercury 500 (thunderbolt) and I'm told it runs but it's not circulating water and may need a new impeller. I'm not sure of the year of the engine or how to replace so I'm hoping the forum members can help me so I get the right part and install it properly. The serial number is 2118614. Does anyone have a diagram or instruction on the proper replacement? Also, what year engine is it? Is is a 2 stroke or 4? Sorry for all the questions, just new to outboards, more familiar with old cars.

Thanks,

Rick
60's HydroSwift

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mercury 500 impeller replacement 13 years 10 months ago #9088

1966 easy job 2 stroke just put it in forward drop the lower unit and do the pump and re install.

Re:Mercury 500 impeller replacement 13 years 10 months ago #9103

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. Now that I know the year of the engine I can hopefully order the correct part. Should I just get a new impeller or the kit that comes with the extra pieces? Where is the best place to get parts? Also, what type of oil do I need to get and what is the ratio for mixing? Again, new to this, sorry for all the questions.

Rick
60's HydroSwift

Re:Mercury 500 impeller replacement 13 years 10 months ago #9106

oil 50:1 and buy a quality brand name oil

you get your parts at oldmercs.com

pull it apart then you will know exactally what parts you may need

Re:Mercury 500 impeller replacement 13 years 10 months ago #9112

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Rick, I know you're wanting to get your impeller in pretty quickly, so if it were me I'd order the impeller kit (if it's available that way). You know you have an issue there somewhere, and the seals and stuff that come with the kit are a good idea to replace anyway. Michael (Mad Props)is right, you won't know for sure what all you need until you get it apart, but at least you'll have most of the basic stuff to start with. Just MHO.

Here's a thread on water pump impeller replacement, scroll down and you'll see an instructional video on the job you may find helpful. (It's a thread on my Johnson, but the video is done on a Merc if I remember right.) www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/j-e-g-o-s-place/1973-johnson-115esl73m-revival#3069

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Mark

Re:Mercury 500 impeller replacement 13 years 10 months ago #9117

since you are going to the boat get the kit. that way you will have all the parts and not ruin your vacation.yes 50.1 40.1 would be better in my opinion.

Re:Mercury 500 impeller replacement 13 years 10 months ago #9142

Many thanks guys for the input, I appreciate the help. I'll order up the kit and get some oil for the gas. Hopefully all goes well and I can report back with good results. I'll probably have some more questions as I work on it some more, but at least now I know where to go.

Rick
60's HydroSwift

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)