Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 950 value?

1966 950 value? 13 years 11 months ago #7780

I just removed this 66 merc 950 thunderbolt it has all wiring,tach and controls but needs a switchbox was wondering what it would sell for

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 11 months ago #7781

what ever you can get running will bring much more becouse it can be heard.

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 11 months ago #7798

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Does it have tilt and trim? Can you post some pictures?

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 11 months ago #7800

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Have you by chance run a compression check on it? Readings on that can tell a great deal about the condition of the motor.

Mark

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 11 months ago #7829

Impossible to say without some pictures and a better description. Does it run? When's the last time it's been serviced? How's the compression? Is the wiring in good shape or corroded? How's the paint?

It could be a 100 dollar motor or a 1000 dollar motor based on your description.... ;)

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 11 months ago #8205

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I just bought a 66 950 SS for $700. A running motor that needed a tune up, impellor, dist belt (to be safe) and a new skeg welded on. Cosmetics were good, wiring and controls were good. He listed it on ebay to see if it would bring more than my offer of $700. He had a start bid of $600, as reserve of $700 and a $1000 on a buy it now, no bidders or interest after two 7 day listings. That's at least one data point. Depends on who's looking. Typically these had no trim/tilt but trim will retro fit as it will on all 6 cyl Mercs.
66 SS's had Thunderbolt ignition but, was a one year style where Merc used points as a trigger rather than the solid state chopper wheel in later years. The coil was very large and also only a one year style, so it's harder to keep these original but, it is the introductory year to the thundebolt and the polar gap plugs. The points don't really wear down because it is a trickle current and voltage they handle rather than the coil current which over time pits the faces.
BY THE WAY: I am looking for the key switch panel and the control you have if you want to sell the control and the panel seperate.
Randy

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 11 months ago #8206

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh by the way the switchbox is a one year item too, it has only one post on the side where later switchboxes had three. The points wires I spoke about both combine on that one post. I'm not sure if later boxes work if the wires are connected to the right one of the three posts maybe someone knows. I have an extra single post switchbox in case this one dies.
One could convert to a later three wire solid state dist and switchbox if desperate.
R

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 10 months ago #8491

I was planning on selling the 950 and all controls and everything together but may consider selling seperatly for right price.

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 10 months ago #8801

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
what's the right price? 978-808-6214
Randy

Re:1966 950 value? 13 years 10 months ago #9160

If this is any indication - I have a 1964 650. Last year - had the lower unit resealed and a new impeller put in - $400. Last month had the powerhead completely rebuilt - $800 (still had original factor seals - he replaced both the upper and lower seals which were shot, top 2 pistons scuffed).

It's a great motor that I'll hang on to for a long time - but if I were to sell it today with only 2 hours on it since the overhaul, I'd be looking in the $1,500-2,000 range.

Considering what a new Merc in that HP range would set you back today, the durability of the engines from that era, and the ease of repair (so long as you can find parts or a mechanic willing to work on the older stuff) - it's a fair price IMHO.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)