• Page:

TOPIC: Merc 400 starter motor

Merc 400 starter motor 11 years 3 months ago #73302

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Has anyone tried one of these starters? I have been getting my current starter rebuilt about once a year and thought I would buy a new one this year. I am looking at a Mallory or this one at about a third of the price. Probably Chinese made.
www.amazon.com/STARTER-MERCURY-1965-75-50-29105-50-30842/dp/B008Y3QIUG
The motor that is currently in it is a 50-29105. I also have a delco 1113569 and they both seem cross to this one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Merc 400 starter motor 11 years 3 months ago #73307

if it is a 4cyl 400 i dont think it will work. that one needs a flex flywheel. 1965 and up. if i am not mistaken.

Re:Merc 400 starter motor 11 years 3 months ago #73309

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Dave
Yes it is a 4cyl 1960 merc 400. There are always issues when you start cross referencing.
What do you think about this one.

Mallory Starter, Outboard 9-15001
Sale Price: $167.99

Save: $27.96
(14% Off $195.95)
Part # 9-15001

Hurry! Only 1 left in stock

No Reviews | Write Review

Replaces Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM):Mercury
Replaces Original Equipment Manufacturer # (OEM #):50-29105
Fits Application:35, 40, 50

Old mercs and the 50-29105 that I have have a K appendix and that may make a difference in the cross.

Re:Merc 400 starter motor 11 years 3 months ago #73315

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
If you are getting your starter rebuilt every year something is wrong at your rebuilder, what are the symptoms that lead to a rebuild? These are simple.

Re:Merc 400 starter motor 11 years 3 months ago #73326

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I have had it rebuilt at three different local shops. They keep going out of business. The symptoms are always the same well not the first time.
The first time the starter drive needed rebuilt as the spring was broken and it was turning over too slowly with no v drop between the battery and the starter as well as on the ground side. That time I bought a used starter off the internet and took both to the rebuilder.Telling him to make one good one from the parts as the original also had a cracked mounting ear. That rebuild lasted a couple of years.
The symptoms each time after that would be it suddenly would not turn over the engine or just barely again with full battery voltage and no voltage drop on the cables. The starters would also smoke. I believe the rebuilds I was getting were just brush replacements. They might have also cut down the mica on the armature but you can only do that so many times. To be honest only the first rebuild cost me more than $50. The receipts just say repaired and lubricated. although the estimates were higher.
I also believe that I contributed greatly to there demise. Each time I had ran the battery down a week or two before by trolling on the batteryubtill it was down to 10 or 11V. Then cranking it on a weak battery which will cause a high current condition in the armature due to it stalling giving excess heat. That Combined with an armature that has the insulation deteriorated over time can cause a few turns to short out.

Re:Merc 400 starter motor 11 years 3 months ago #73340

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The "offshore" replacement units aren't all that bad of a deal, but you usually get what you pay for. The quality is surprisingly good (to me anyway, I expected them to be junk!) but the warranty is usually only 6 mo.. I've run them before, we had one on the shelf and the ARCO Marine unit (O.E. quality) was out of stock at the time. I've heard good reports on the Mallory unit, but have no first hand knowledge of them. Wilson is another brand that usually offers O.E. quality rebuilds, but their pricing is rather high.

Randy (63G3) has a good point about the rebuilder, a good one will go all the way through the unit and return it to you in truly "like new" condition.

You may be on to something with the low voltage situation, maybe time to consider a separate battery for the trolling motor? (Or more accurately a separate battery for the starter, run everything else off the "aux". battery.) That situation (low volts) will cause the early demise of even the best quality starters.

Mark

Merc 400 starter motor 2 years 8 months ago #145067

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi,
Do you still have the working 1113569 starter? and if you do, would you sell it?
Thanks,
Eric

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7303 guests and one member online