Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Crossed over to the DARK SIDE

Crossed over to the DARK SIDE 13 years 11 months ago #4040

Some of you know, I've been looking for a motor to replace the fried "79" 115 Rude on my Predictor. As much as finding an late 70's or better OMC made sense: I could not get out of my head, how COOL a vintage stack six would look on the Predictor. I answered a CL ad where a local was selling "boat parts." Somewhere in the ad, was 110 Merc.
My curiosity was spiked!
It took a few weeks to nail down a viewing appointment. The guy was out of town. Went out to take a look on Tuesday. Sure enough, a 110 Merc.

A 1966 1100 SS with power tilt and trim, control box, but no power tilt and trim pump, or prop. Compression was even across the board and the interior was about as clean, as anything, I've ever seen.
Asking price 450, Offered it to me for 300.
Unfortunately, was cash po at the moment, so was going to have to get EXTREMELY creative.

So we get to talking, and looking over, some of his other "boat parts."
Among them, a beautiful 79 Hydrostream with a non-running 140 OMC with power tilt and trim. I notice he is trying to power it with an early 70's non power tilt and trim controller. Plus the starter gear is about as chewed up as a dog bone.
We strike a mutually beneficial deal.
The Predictor's control box, the 115's starter motor, and for good measure the flywheel.

I brought the Merc home Wednesday.
Unfortunately, in trying to unload it, I broke the cable clamp on the side of the motor.
I gotta stop trying to do things by myself.
Yesterday, I was very excited.
This morning, I woke up, with all sorts of nagging thoughts, on how I was going to get her running, "The Right Way."
I often forget, the "wanting," is never the same, as the "having."

Having said that, I will admit, I am still very excited.
So much so, I wanted to share a little of the experience.

More pics can be viewed here:
picasaweb.google.com/114446604856615418401/Newmerc110?feat=directlink

Regards
Lar
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Crossed over to the DARK SIDE 13 years 11 months ago #4043

Larry,
Please write direct with your mailing addy if you need a replacement 'cable clamp' wiring harness 'support hook' 'thingy-mah-jig'.
:laugh:
Thom

Re:Crossed over to the DARK SIDE 13 years 11 months ago #4044

Thanks Thom
I will do that.
Your post reminds me of what a college Prof, said to me once; "Lar, you got the right idea, but your terminology sucks." I will admit, much to my chagrin, most of the time, my terminology, "sucks."

Regards
lar

Re:Crossed over to the DARK SIDE 13 years 11 months ago #4045

What a lovely original beast. I wish we could find them like this here in the UK. It looks like it will clean up to look just perfect with the right amount of 'age patina' in my book. Well done Lar, a beauty. :)

Geoff UK

Re:Crossed over to the DARK SIDE 13 years 11 months ago #4048

nice I just got one of those 2 weeks ago mines not too hard a fix it was somewhat taken apart due to lost spark

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)