Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with trim wiring

Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3418

Got everything ready to go, but am afraid to touch power in large part because I got a jumper wire I can't figure out where it goes, and do I need power to the dash switch?

I could really use some good pics of wiring for one of these dual solenoid trim set-ups. All I want to do is bench test it, but I'm afraid I'll just burn it up if it's not right. I've already screwed up enough on this stuff without making it even worse! Factory wiring diagram seems to be of little use.

Thank you for any help.

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3427

Frank,
I decided to go ahead and cut-n-paste my e-mail write up to you here so that maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.
So-o-o-o,...Here it is:

I saw your post, but wasn't feeling up to responding in my usual photo instruction way.
Sorry pal.
Is your trim limiter safety switch and wires being used or is that circuit by-passed?
You will need the #10 red to go to the large primary terminal on both solenoids and then to the battery.
You will need a small #14 red wire to come off one of the large primary terminals on a solenoid to carry 12v through the 3 prong plug to the trim switch. If you are using the safety trim switch system I would need to review the diagram before explaining it further and I can't today due to my health.
Otherwise, or if for now you can simply by-pass the safety trim switch by unplugging the (2) wires coming from the transom bracket mounted safety switch at their connectors up the wires and then simply temporarily jump the other ends - that are supposed to plug into these (2) - together,...You will be set for now.
Then make sure that the large #10 Black wire from the trim motor goes to a common ground with the following black wires: The #10 (-) to the battery, and a small #14 black wire from a small terminal on each solenoid.
Then make sure that the large #10 Blue coming from the trim motor goes to the large secondary terminal of one of the solenoids and that the small #14 Blue coming from the 3 prong plug goes to the other small terminal on the same solenoid. (by 'other small terminal' I mean that one already is being used for (-) and the black wires and the other small terminal is which one to use) note: either small terminal on a solenoid can do either job.
Then make sure that the large #10 Green coming from the trim motor goes to the large secondary terminal of one of the solenoids and that the small #14 Green coming from the 3 prong plug goes to the other small terminal on the same solenoid. (by 'other small terminal' I mean that one already is being used for (-) and the black wires and the other small terminal is which one to use) note: either small terminal on a solenoid can do either job.
Then at the trim switch understand that 12v (+) #14 needs to feed 12v to each direction and that Blue #14 is 'UP' and Green #14 is 'DOWN'.
HTH pal,
T

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3430

Got everything hooked up, filled the oil reservoir, hooked up power, motor tilts up! Woo hoo! Ooops, supposed to go down too, right? Nope, can't get it to go down.

Frank

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3437

Got it to go down by bringing direct battery + power to the green wire coming out of the electric motor. I think I need a new solenoid.

Frank

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3439

Yup.

To confirm, swap the solenoids.

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3443

They're two different part #s Chris, but I think they both work the same. Looks like the one I need is Sierra 18-5815. The other one looks to be 18-5836. I was planning to replace them anyways. I'll replace those and go from there.

Now that I know everything works, I'll replace some of the older wiring as well. If new solenoids don't do the trick, we'll move on to the switch.

It's gonna be getting real nice here after Wednesday, time to get back to getting the Power Cat done.

I hope all is well up north...

Thanks,

Frank

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3445

Frank if they are original mercury switches they can be taken apart and cleaned with out a problem.your last pic shows that there are.

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3459

Yes, you sent me an email a while back on how to clean and spruce up that control. Now that I am where I am, I need to take things back apart, lube brushes in the electric motor, add some synthetic grease to the limit switch, re-wire what I can, and clean, prime and paint that "new" ram cylinder.

Thanks again for all the help Dave!

Frank

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3514

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Frank,
Saw your post on getting the trim stuff done, CONGRATS! That about wraps it up for the Merc work, right? Now for the PC, how's the garage, paint booth coming? We're supposed to hit 80 degrees by tomorrow or Thurs., thinking a sea (lake, actually) trial is in order for the Starflite. ;)

Mark

Re:Help with trim wiring 14 years 3 weeks ago #3515

Yeah, got it working Mark, but need to pull it apart to re-finish one ram cylinder. Did a bit of re-wiring last night too, not much.

I may take a personal day Friday and get some work done on the Power Cat, and get the garage plumbed for air. I got all the black pipe laid out and know how I'm going to do it. I got new filter, both the permanent kind and throw-away kind that mounts at the gun. I need to build the furnace filter enclosure for the man door into the basement (where fresh air will come from), and fabricate something to go under the garage door for the fan sucking air out. Maybe I can practice spraying something this weekend! They're saying it might hit 80 here Saturday.

Good luck with the Starflite!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6005 guests and one member online