Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Rideguide faceplate

New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2490

My Merc Rideguide faceplate was badly cracked, and all the holes were broken. So this morning before work I picked up a piece of 1/16" aluminum plate, and will let the pictures tell the story.

Maybe I should have got 1/8" aluminum, but for now, this can do. Good thing too, because as I was setting holes for mounting, the hammer slipped, and my old plastic face plate is now in 2 pieces. I think I'll paint it silver metallic, get a Power Cat sticker for it, then give it a number of clear coats.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2495

nice job detail it with the boat name or something.

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2498

Thanks Dave. Yeah, I want to get a Power Cat logo sticker for it, then give it a couple coats of clear.

Cleaned it up one final time. Once mounted, I noted any inconsistencies and cleaned it up. I'll sand it again, make sure it's good and flat, and prime in the a.m.

Frank

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2499

any chance you could post a scan of the template for me, mine is missing completely, Im thinking Ill get Crosby in the correct font engraved across the plate when I do one

nice job Frank

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2500

Yep, I could do that later tonight. What, post it here, or email it to you?

Frank

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2505

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' good Frank. If you wouldn't mind shooting me a copy of the template too, I'd appreciate it. I'm gonna see if my buddy at work with the vinyl cutter and software can do a Cutter logo for mine, I'd be glad to have him do PC and/or whatever anybody else needs too. I'll ask about what he would charge us, I'm sure it wouldn't be much.

Mark

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2507

Mark, it needed sanding (a bunch, believe it or not!) and a coat of 7220 primer. I didn't think I would get a good scan the way it was. Got that stuff done, but primer needs to dry. Hang on to yer britches, it will either be later tonight or 1st thing in the a.m.

I can get a Power Cat logo from Danny Leger, the Power Cat guy. They're readily available on the powercatboat.com web site. Sales of Power Cat stuff help with expenses for the site. It may be a while before I get it, just because tax day is right around the corner and we owe a bunch.

This piece of aluminum cost me 5 bucks.

Frank

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2508

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
No hurries, no worries bud! I've got plenty of time, and some aluminum scraps in various thickness out in my storage shed. (I'm thinking the street sign may be a little too thick, though. :ohmy: )

Mark

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2510

Just so you know Mark, after doing this, I think I would have done better with 1/8", given I don't have a scroll saw. I did this with a hand held jig saw, bench grinder, metal file and 80 and 120 grit sandpaper. It's in primer, so I'll probably scan it in the a.m.

Frank

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2513

post it here would be nice Im sure there are a couple guys that would like it too

thanks a bunch this will save some time :lol:

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2520

Hmmm... I may draw one of these up on the autocad and have one or two lasered out of stainless. With the laser they can even burn the logo into it. Thanks for the idea Frank.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2522

My scanner bed is not big enough, so you'll have to paste the images together somehow. Note: if I was to re-do it, the corner holes would be to the inside of the existing holes. As you can see, they are oversize because I did not get them right the first time. It still works okay.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2539

thanks Frank

I put the pieces together for those that dont have the software
Attachments:

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2559

Good job! No problem. I coulda done that last night, but was too tired.

Thanks,

Frank

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2580

Hey guys,...If I take a picture of an original and include some measurements between holes or specific lengths would it help in this project?
I don't believe one of mine is too badly broken/cracked so I think I can get a pretty decent picture.
My scanner isn't big enough either.
If it needs to be scanned though - I 'think' I can access one next week if needed for accuracy.

Re:New Rideguide faceplate 14 years 1 month ago #2581

Sure Doc, anything like that would help. Mine would have come out better if I would have had a good measurement across the corner holes. It came out fine, but if I was to make a new one, it would be better.

Enjoy the weekend!

Frank

New Rideguide faceplate painted, ready for decal 14 years 1 month ago #2622

What a morning! Working on two faceplates, one for the steering wheel, the other for the motor.

The steering wheel one took the time this a.m. Worked hours in a photo editing program to get a Power Cat logo in shape for application on a black background. I think I'm there. I'm going to let the faceplate dry at least a day before applying the decal, then hit it with a couple (more?) coats of clear.

NOW maybe I can get to work on the power trim....

Frank
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8003 guests and 2 members online