Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any tricks to powerhead removal? Merc 900.

Any tricks to powerhead removal? Merc 900. 14 years 1 month ago #2379

• 240sxguy
  • 240sxguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Disassembling this engine in an attempt to swap swivels. Now, do I have to do anything special besides just undoing the bolts and lifting off the power head? This seems too easy!

Evan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Any tricks to powerhead removal? Merc 900. 14 years 1 month ago #2382

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Evan, if you've unhooked the fuel line(s), wiring, linkage and mounting bolts, it should lift off. I can't remember if anything else is in the way, like shift linkage, rectifier on the front, etc. Check to make sure you have the clearance to pull it up. The splined drive shaft going up into the power head can be stuck pretty good, be careful not to damage the block or the lower cowl prying it apart. (If I were doing it, I'd pull the lower unit first.)

I don't quite understand "snapping the swivels" though, can you be more specific?

Mark

Re:Any tricks to powerhead removal? Merc 900. 14 years 1 month ago #2384

It depends a bit on which model 900.
If it is a mid-'60s TIGER 900 it calls for a bit different set of sequences than the '70s 900.
Which one do you have?
Why are you swapping swivels? Sloppy bushings, cracks in the swivel housing, ????
Either engine takes a while to type out the steps so I'll wait until I hear which vintage 900 you have.
Thom

Re:Any tricks to powerhead removal? Merc 900. 14 years 1 month ago #2388

• 240sxguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thom, my old name was Evan_Oie. I am doing the swivel swap to the later merc with integral power tilt & trim. I am 99% sure I have found a bolt together solution.

I got the powerhead off, I already pulled the lower end so it went really easy. A buddy is staying over here tonight since he works in the area tomorrow, so he helped me.

Thanks guys!

Evan

Re:Any tricks to powerhead removal? Merc 900. 14 years 1 month ago #2406

Keep us all posted on the results of this swap. I agree that it should be a bolt together solution if you are doing this with a '70s 900, but if you are working with a '60s 900 TIGER block Merc I sure want to learn the secret.
I can do this one with a bit of machine work, but it would be great to learn how as a simple parts shuffle.
Thom

Re:Any tricks to powerhead removal? Merc 900. 14 years 1 month ago #2408

• 240sxguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Doc, this is an early 60s motor. We had discussed this before and I saw your sizing problem. I kind of hate to divulge too much information yet but here goes;

I used the newer mercury lower bushings, and when I pulled them off of the drive shaft housing I found they were eccentric. I simply rotated the bushings around and everything bolted together with minimal persuasion. PLEASE DON"T TAKE THIS AS GOSPEL!

The one reason I hesitated to share, was that the bushings from the newer motor weren't in the best shape so I am not 100% sure they are supposed to be eccentric. I have a PN and am seriously considering ordering a pair. Mine have very minor cracking but it makes me kind of nervous.

I will post the PN if it does work, if not I guess I am shelling out about 100 bucks for fun. The part number is merc # 75299 and they are pretty cashy at 46 each. Can anyone get these cheaper?

Does anyone have one of these sitting around they can examine?

Evan

Re:Any tricks to powerhead removal? Merc 900. 14 years 1 month ago #2476

• 240sxguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have decided to use the ones that came on the lower unit of my mariner that donated its power trim. The PN can be seen above. I can't gaurantee it will work but my isolators are in pretty good shape and it is tough to justify buying a $90 pair for fun.

Evan

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8645 guests and 4 members online