Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: what do you think about Mariner's ?

what do you think about Mariner's ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2195

• Bigfoot
  • Bigfoot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Arnt they the same as mercurys? Just as fast and everything. Why do they exist? Is it like Gmc and Chevy? same but different....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:what do you think about Mariner's ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2196

As for the Inline-6,...Same, but different tells the story.
Same under the cowlings completely and interchangable with Mercury.
The 'GMC' of Mercury Marine.
My lil hot-rod g3 has an '87 Mariner 115 block surrounded by and filled with Mercury parts.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:what do you think about Mariner's ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2199

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yup, im talking about a 1986 90 hp mariner inline 6. So its the Gmc of mercury. I wonder why they have two lines out, mariner and mercury, I guess Gmc has Chevy.

Im having a hard time finding any good links about that model mariner. Im just trying to find some specs on that motor like if it has injected oil, tilt and trim and weight and stuff.

Thom, do you have a raised transom or a short shaft. Maby a jack plate on the G3, I cant recall. How would a 90 be on a g3? Im going to find out :)

Re:what do you think about Mariner's ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2209

This is all about marketing and selling product. Most of the early smaller Mariners ( up to 60 HP ) were YAMAHA built. The bigger ones were MERCURY with grey paint.
They dropped the line recently to save marketing costs and most people have figured out what was going on.

Re:what do you think about Mariner's ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2212

professor wrote:

They dropped the line recently to save marketing costs and most people have figured out what was going on.

?? Still sold here in the UK. At the recent (very poor) London Boat show the Mercury/Mariner stand boasted 1 x 350hp Merc, a range of Merc thrusters & that was it. There was a whole range of Mariner engines on the stand though. Merc dealers pretty well boycotted the show due to high costs for negligible returns.

Wasn't the Mariner brand use to circumnavigate import restrictions in both the US & Japan?

Re:what do you think about Mariner's ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2220

Mike,
I don't have a jack-plate on my G3.
I run a 15" transom with about a 1.5" shim and a 15" (shorty) mid.
It goes fast enough like that.
I do have a CMC power tilt on my Pleasurecraft and run that 140 Stack about 3" higher than stock with a surfacing small ear chopper.
It runs about 63 MPH set like that. The Pleasurecraft is a 16'- Sidewinder clone.
I'm sure someone has run a 20" motor on a 15" transom successfully with a jack-plate. Due to the original construction of the older G3 though, where the edges of the transom are simply fiberglass'ed to the aft end of the hull and sub-floor,...I would definitely re-construct and add some knees up off a set of new and much stouter stringers before hanging that kind of weight up so high on a shorty transom.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:what do you think about Mariner's ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2221

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yes, I knew you had short shaft mercs, Your the Dr. Thats what happens when your sleep depribed like Ive been from too much work, LOL.......
Actually my g3 is going to get new stringers, transom and all new wood everywhere else. I could make it a long shaft but Id like to keep it the original transom heighth. This'll be my summer project-DREAM project....
Trust me, I dont want to spend $500 or more on a jack plate when I can simply raise the transom but they convinced me to keep it stock last month on the g3 forum.....Before I knew I was going to get this motor.... :laugh:
Your boats look great in the pics..
Actually I saw 2009 model mariners for sale in a google search so I think theyre still making them, but just less popular I guess. Even youtube has few videos of them.
Again if any one has a link theyd like to share on the mariners I would be thankful, Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)