Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Progress on my '63 1000

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2412

Only the black is Rustoleum Evan. Everything else, including the clear, is Duplicolor, except for the #7220 self-etching primer I get at NAPA.

Thanks for the compliment. Many, many hours of time!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Outside done! 14 years 2 weeks ago #2427

Boy, it sure is a good thing I have a parts motor. Went to install my newly painted latches on the cowl and couldn't find the steel rod they swing on. Got an extra real banged up cowl, but it had a good rod.

This is pretty much it, although I still need to tackle the face plate. It is thin stainless or aluminum and had etched in stains on it, almost like somebody spilled orange juice on it on a hot day and didn't bother cleaning it off. I can't afford to chrome it, so it will no doubt end up like the former chrome piece on top of the bonnet.

Got a defective coil from NAPA (terminal post snapped off), gonna get a new replacement tomorrow and then maybe tomorrow will see if the motor starts. Wish me luck!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2431

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good luck, Frank. I think your motor looks great, buddy. That metallic really looks good, and I have a hunch that faceplate will turn out just right when you're done with it.

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2432

Thanks Mark. It will be interesting to see it run maybe tomorrow, IF I get lucky.

Nothing else really needs to get done, so this weekend I'll start working on getting the power trim installed.

How's recovery coming along?

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2437

• MarkS
I've been working full days since Monday, it was rough at first but getting better every day, thanks. I've always been a "hands on" manager, but now having to pretty much do the computer and paperwork end and let my crew handle ALL the lifting, packing, heavy work. It's not easy changing my style, but I remember the pain pretty vividly, so I'm dealing with it.

I'm thinking of seeing if I can crawl up into the Starflite this weekend to pull the carbs for rebuild, we'll see how I feel Sat. or Sun.

(Power T&T sounding like a really good idea now!) :)

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2439

PT&T is great for enhancing performance, but my primary concern nowadays is my back. If it wasn't so screwed up, I'd move pins. But I have a hard time lifting even 30 lbs anymore. Ten years ago I could lift 100#s and more, no problem. Oh well.

Can't wait to get the boat out of the snow and start working on it. Once this trim stuff is done, I'm gonna be getting antsy to get this motor on my boat!

Glad to hear you're feeling better Mark. It really comes back quick. Just take it easy, those carbs ain't going anywhere...

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2583

• MarkS
Morning Frank, just wanted to see if you've done anything with the faceplate yet. Mine on the 700 looks much like yours, I don't think it will ever "buff out".

Take it easy on that back this weekend, okay!?

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2584

I have yet to touch the faceplate Mark, though I did have it in my hands while I was looking for 000 or 0000 steel wool this a.m. Want to try that with some polish, see what happens. I'll get at it today and keep you posted.

Got 3 coats of rattle can chrome on the Rideguide faceplate. I decided to do it mostly in black metallic to tie in with the motor, but wanted a chrome-like or silver strip around the edge. The original had a similar shiny strip around the edge. I'm not sure when it will be finished, but wanted to at least get it well coated till I'm ready to mask it off to do the black. Here's where I ended up this a.m.

I've gotten pretty good at "listening" to my back Mark. I know the pains now that indicate trouble is coming, and like it or not, I just have to lay off when that happens. It's continually frustrating, but I'm just glad to be alive, how's that! Unfortunately I may need left shoulder surgery, but it's gonna heave to wait till the boat's done and the summer is over!

Enjoy yer day.

Frank
Attachments:

'63 1000 faceplate budget renovation 14 years 2 weeks ago #2614

Can't afford chrome, and faceplate looked so bad, had to try something. Actually I tried a whole bunch of ideas before coming down to this. I ended up sanding the whole thing with 220, and even that took a while to get the etched in stains out. Cleaned it real well (toothbrush clean) with KLeanz-Easy, then primed it. Primer shot looks glossy just because I took the pic right after priming the piece.

Later today I will give it a couple coats of black metallic to match the motor, then sand it again. I'll start with 220, then move to finer grits and see how it looks. I'm going to get to a point where I'll be done, then give it 2 or 3 coats of clear and call it a day. This is the last thing I needed to deal with to put a wrap on the motor. Soon as I get some cash ahead, I hope to get decals for it, but that's not critical right now.

Frank

Attachments:

Merc faceplate 14 years 1 week ago #2728

Primed it, painted it black metallic, then sanded all the raised stuff off with 180, then just cleaned it up with 220. Probably will go to finer grits, but I'm home sick with a bad cold and can't keep working on it. Maybe do a bit more later today. I'll get it best I can, then hit it with 2 or 3 coats of clear. I could do that now and it would look better than it did!

Frank

Attachments:

Merc faceplate done! 14 years 1 week ago #2739

Took it to 1000 grit (180, 220, 320, 400, 500, 600, 1000), then rubbing compound, then extreme cleaning, then 3 coats of clear.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2749

• MarkS
Looks good Frank, hope you're feeling better.

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2751

Thanks Mark. I hope I get feeling better sometime too. My nose is so stuffed I sound funny...

Got the cover all back together. Had to put the lock and top fasteners back on, and glue on the foam strips. One had come right off, the other was mostly off. I used Super Weather Strip Adhesive, great stuff for bonding rubber and foam stuff to metal. This is it for now for making the motor look pretty. Once I get feeling better I can get right at the trim stuff. Got everything I need, just want to get it done. Plus, it's supposed to be sunny and close to 60 the rest of the week and there is stuff I could do on the Power Cat if I felt better. Grrrrr.....

Speaking of cats, here's a pic of ours I took today. I may name the Power Cat after her - Whisper.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2752

• MarkS
When you're feeling better I wanna see a pic of the newly redone cover mounted on the beast, okay?! There's a bunch of folks at work with colds, alergies, must be a lot of bugs going around. Take care.

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2756

Not to worry Mark, pics will come. Right now I'm working on trim stuff, so maybe in a few days. Got to at least wait on the adhesive to dry, but that's about it. Also, next time I take a pic of her in full regalia I want to polish the stainless trim a bit.

This is gonna sound real dumb, but I never used the tilt lock on this motor. Here I had a chain around the splined prop shaft holding the motor up to an eye hook in the rafters of my basement shop so I could work on trim stuff. I'm reading something in my trim instructions and they mention the tilt lock. To make a long story short, I discovered places, though small, that had escaped paint, and did that whole shebang through the day. That's done too, so this faceplate is the wrap. I figure I'll be using the tilt lock often, and wanted everything to look as good as I can get it before installation on the Power Cat.

Someday I may even get to go boating!

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2758

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
in order to get rest so that you can feel better Frank you actually have to stop working on the Merc.

I can preach but I can't practice! Werkin on a merk always makes ya feel good!

Lookin Good!
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2763

That's about my first laugh today Jim, thanks! :) Thankfully I don't look much like that. I'm older...

Just down modifying my tilt pin and cutting a couple 3/8" i.d. 9/16" spacers to go between the trim cylinders and the transom bracket on the motor. Could have just bought SS washers and built up to 9/16 each side, but figured I'd do it up right.

Dome for the night!

Frank

Final '63 1000 paint pics 14 years 1 week ago #2840

Here ya go, DONE!

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2844

Don't get much better'n that Frank!!! Awsome!

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2846

Thanks Jim. Good to see ya aboard buddy! You were my inspiration for what I did with this old Merc.

Working on trim stuff. Got everything I need done, so now it's just clear coating a few small items that I painted sparkly red earlier today (3/8 X 9/16 spacers and the old rod that used to be use to manually set trim). Got a bad cold, but just keep at it when I can.

Maybe do a bit of work on the Power Cat later this week if I can. Ordering an hvlp gun tonight, can't really brush and sand anymore, hands and shoulders don't like it!

Here's that merc on the boat I took it off of. Long time ago.

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2851

• MarkS
There's a before and after set of pics for the books. She's beautiful Frank, just beautiful. Get some rest and take care of that cold, would ya!?

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2852

Thanks Mark. Hard to rest when I can't breath through my nose. Cold seems to be getting worse. Just gonna have to run its course I guess. At least made it to work today, got 5 hours in. Couldn't do much.

I got few little things to clear coat for stuff I'm doing for the trim, just on my way down now. Shake the can for a minute, paint for 1/2 minute, done.

How you doing anyway? Back to normal almost?

If I can, I want to do a bit of work on the boat over the next 3 or 4 days, just a couple hours. Little glass work needs to get done, little body fill. We'll see.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2853

• MarkS
I'm doing pretty well buddy, thanks for asking. Working full days again, just not lifting anything yet. (Nothing over 10 lbs, anyway) Still pretty tuckered out when I get home, having to do what little I can on the boat on the weekends. Got the carbs rebuilt on the Johnson, think I'll wait another week or so before I pull the gearcase to rebuild the water pump though. I could probably get it off okay without straining anything, but why take a chance. I sure don't want to go thru hernia surgery again!

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 week ago #2855

I agree wholeheartedly Mark! Listen to the doc, and at the 1st hint of strain, stop doing whatever it was that started it. I was very unlucky after my hernia surgery. My back went out and is still giving me trouble. No fun when you're an active fellow.

Just clear coated a couple trim things, then realized there is more trim stuff to prime and paint! Sheeesh, never ends...

Keep in touch.

Frank

Trim cylinders & brackets mounted 14 years 4 days ago #3212

See pics. Next plumbing, then electrical.

Attachments:

Re:Trim cylinders & brackets mounted 14 years 4 days ago #3226

Frank,
I see that you have longer than 3.5" capscrews installed at the top of the rams to their brackets and that you have put these capscrews end 'backwards' from original.
It will work okay as long as everything is uncorroded and well kept, but if the brackets get corroded to the shaft that that the 1/2" fine thread capscrews thread into you won't be able to remove a ram if ever needed to for repairs/replacement without first removing the entire bracket and over time the brackets can become very difficult to remove.
Make sense?
Sorry to be a poop, but I mean well.
:huh:
Thom

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 4 days ago #3234

Makes perfect sense Thom, and of course, that is why I wanted to know what yours measured. This is mocked up solely for a shop test with plain steel "stuff." Having too long a bolt here is a real pain, as it has to get put on first. If I need to disassemble it, I will mark these and cut them off before re-installing. I may end up doing that anyways if I have trouble getting the hoses on.

I have correct length 1/2" fine stuff in stainless coming from www.mcmaster.com , and will be getting the 7/16 X 3 1/2 in stainless here locally, as well as the 3/8 stuff I need to mount it to the transom. All this plain steel will be going away soon I hope!

Thanks again for all the help Doc. Take care of yourself and get better!

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 4 days ago #3235

• MarkS
'Morning Frank. Man you're getting close to the finish on this baby, I know you've gotta be grinning from ear to ear!

Have you checked out the PT&T pump motor yet? If you need service parts (brushes, bushings, etc.) or worst case a replacement, let me know by PM. (Need the number stamped into the motor to ensure correct stuff.)

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 4 days ago #3237

Yeah, not much grinnin' last night or this a.m. Mark. Put it together, take it apart, put it together, take it apart, put it together, take it apart, put it together, take it apart, etc. Gets kind of tiring, especially when you're still fighting a cold. Needed more hardware, so got it, and will go home tonight see if it works. Of course, I have every flare nut wrench known to man EXCEPT 1/2". So I got it ordered from my old NAPA store, will get up there tomorrow night.

I already fixed the motor. That was easy! Had a stuck brush, i.e., brush was okay, just was stuck in its holder. Pulled the motor apart, removed the brush, hit it with a light touch of 220 grit, presto zippo, working motor. At least so far. We'll see how she likes lifting that old behemoth of a motor I have.

My goal was to have this all together and working by the end of the month, and I'm on track. I can't push it because of my various arthritic and joint problems. For instance, I can't hand tighten a nut with this thumb base joint arthritis I have. Plus I drop everything continually, sometimes twice. Of course, that's real good for my back. I just sigh and keep going. Don't know what else to do.

I'll keep ya posted buddy, worry not!

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 4 days ago #3250

Frank
just lay everything down on the floor and work from there.
That way you won't have to bend down to pick stuff up when it falls.
Of course your knees won't forgive you, but I have learned from experience:
things don't fall off the floor.... they are already there.

sorry buddy, must be having a smart arse moment here...
I hope it doesn't effect my karma rating ; )

I do feel you pain tho.. presently trying to move a foot of wet colorado snow off the driveway. I'll be making my chiropractor appointment any minute now...

also reminds me of when I spent a week re-fitting my G-3 Centerdeck
The contortions required...

btw, and should have mentioned it earlier...damn nice looking work on the faceplate... whole motor/. Can't wait to see you on the water

regards
lar

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 4 days ago #3253

boatgeek wrote:

Frank

sorry buddy, must be having a smart arse moment here...
I hope it doesn't effect my karma rating ; )

lmao.........

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 4 days ago #3256

Thanks Lar, lotta hours went into that motor, not just me either. My good buddy Dave Cummings deserves some of the "blame." :) Dave helped me swap in a good powerhead. Jim Sprignioli (marathon6) was my big inspiration for making the motor pretty. Dave Bernard has been great helping me with the trim and a number of other things. Doc Frankenmerc has been just a real big help overall. I've never done anything like this before, and could never have done it without all the help. What a great bunch of folks!

I been busy getting PT&T on. Made out like a bandit today. Got 6 brand new NGK plugs for the motor, got a 1/2" flare nut wrench to tighten the 1/4" lines on the trim stuff, got a fitting to install on the top of the powerhead for a piss tube, and got my stainless 1/2" fine threaded bolts for attaching the trim brackets/cylinders to the swivel/clamps on the motor. I'll see what I can get accomplished tonight.

Get the trim stuff working by the end of the month, then it's on to finishing the boat. My new hvlp gun came in the mail today too, and while I was at NAPA I got a bunch of mixing cups, sticks and strainers.

Woo hoo!

Frank

Gonna look good against a white transom eh?

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 13 years 11 months ago #3730

Had some problems with a ram cylinder (my own mistake - stripped out some tubing threads on it), got a new one, cleaned it up, sanded it, primed it, painted it, then clear coated it, and she's back on just this a.m. Thought maybe the down solenoid was bad, couldn't get down to work without direct power from the battery to the down cable coming out of the electric motor, but got a new solenoid on this a.m., everything works from the dash panel. So great, motor is done, runs fine, pt&t works the way it's supposed to, now I just need a darn boat to hang it on. Having problems with the Power Cat, not sure what to do.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 13 years 11 months ago #3749

frank, i read what mark said and if i knew how to work with fiberglas i would be right behind him. hell i'm only 2 hrs. away. to quit on this project that you busted your ass on for close to 2 yrs. would be a real bummer. hang in there..maybe you will get a visitor. :pinch:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 13 years 11 months ago #3751

I'm trying to get filler on some problem spots on the deck Ron, then hope to get a coat of primer on it if Gail is willing. That may be a big if. I can't keep it in the garage all the time in primer and/or fill. It needs to be topcoated just so it can sit outside for now. At this point, I really don't give a hoot what it looks like.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)