Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you?

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147009

i did a lot of repairs on this I wondering if it will die on me once i'm out on the water ;) ;)
here is how it is running in a short video I made.

youtube.com/shorts/HKUWADUeooA?feature=share

thank you for listening and or commenting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147010

why do you think it will die out on the water? sounds good. run good oil at least 50-1. new impeller change the gear lube, repair any bad wires. should be OK

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147015

Mostly because I did the repairs
Needed a new ( used) flywheel
Replaced the stator replaced a cdc or something like that. Changed out a spark plug condensor.. all in an effort to get the 2ed spark plug to have a spark. Also replaced the head gasket for the water, was leaking around the spark plug in the process to get the lowest bolt out a grinded away some of the housing. Yea I'm a little concerned lol lol. And I have never really been out on a boat much at all let alone one I'm in charge of. No AAA to call for a tow lol.
Again thank you for your help with the other motor shift shaft issue

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147021

you have done a good job enjoy. Take it to the lake and stay close to the ramp till you feel comfortable. then venture a little farther. take someone with you

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147026

And,...As a good friend and retired Marine Technician always told me,..."Never leave the dock without your paddle",...
I prefer carrying an electric trolling motor in the boat.
doc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cballer

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147036

I did get a couple of paddles and I thought about a trolling motor but no point in getting a cheap used one if i'm using that as a backup for my cheap iffy merc lol. nd trolling motors new are not cheap so just the paddles
now to find someone with boating experience that will take a chance helping me out lol

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147037

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
In addition to the suggested items already mentioned, I bought one of those larger ski ropes made for pulling inflatables for up to 4 people… it is a larger diameter rope and has a 6 foot long built in bungee inside the rope in the middle. I think it is 60’ long, but can be tied shorter… that way I always have a tow rope in case the helping boat does not have one and also it takes out that jerk you often get when starting a pull and when pulling through waves. At least a decently strong 30’ rope can work. Flare gun or other flares help if people are far away… required in some states and sometimes limited requirements based on boat length, but I believe required on federally navigable waters… anyway, it is good to be seen if stranded far from others or days not so busy. I also carry extra drain plugs… sometimes I have needed when I can’t remember where I put the main plug, so I grab the back up and sometimes it has been used to save another vessel that may have launched without the plug… I saved one that way coming into the launch and finding people in panic and boat taking on water fast. Some days, any of us may need a little help. I have “washed” the inside of my boat a time or 2 over the last 50 years, but luckily caught it quickly before it was dangerously late… oopsy.

Dr.Go!

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147072

I'm new to working on outboards and one thing that I have noticed is that it will run quite different in the water than on muffs. I assume due to the back pressure that is added pushing the water out of the way as most of the exhaust if not all of it is exiting from under water with most outboards. If you have issues be prepared to tune on the water or get a 55 gal drum and run it in that at home to make sure she idles in gear in the water.

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147078

yes good idea about the extra rope. At the moment My plan will not be to go far enough away that i can not see land really close

thank you for your ideas

old 40 hp merc how does it sound to you? 1 year 7 months ago #147079

yea thats one thing I have no idea about is, tuning them. I should look at a few videos talking about that.

thank you

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)