Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: problem connecting fuel line to parts

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 11 months ago #146632

can anyone explain how to connect the fuel line with the brass fitting on each end to the carburetor and fuel pump ? I have the fuel line but I think I must need extra brass fittings to screw ( transition) into the carb and pump and then those screw onto the brass fitting of the fuel line. If that i understandable. i might be able to screw in first the connection to the carburetor but how would i screw in the other end with the L shaped brass fitting. I guess i could disconnect both the fuel pump and the carburetor and then connect the hose, by screwing them into the line, then put those two items back onto the motor but that seems crazy. i would think there is a brass fitting that would screw into the pump and carb with a nut that would then thread into the hose fitting. thanks for looking also should i use some kind of sealant on the threads?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 11 months ago #146642

Additional question would brass automotive break line parts work as connection fittings? I really hate to get this more torn apart than it already is if i don't have too
thank you

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 11 months ago #146643

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
That's the way the factory made 'em. No doubt they were assembled as a unit (fuel pump, hose, filter top) then installed on the powerhead.

So that's how they'll need to be installed now unless you re-engineer the whole setup. Carb gasket kit is inexpensive and you can still get a fuel pump diaphragm kit for not too mucho dinero.

Gasket kit: www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7006-1

Fuel pump kits:

www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER23014A+1

www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7804

Hope that helps..........ed

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 11 months ago #146644

If my explanations and picture modifications don't help, don't hesitate to ask for further clarification.
doc

Attachments:

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 10 months ago #146692

thank you for all the details. I am back at it after a number of family challenges.
SO... i did take the pump off and the starter motor off to get at the fuel filter line connection.
I bought a pump kit it came with 4 parts but I only took off 3 when i removed the pump. then i finally noticed that there is one more metal pump piece still on and a gasket between it and the main block. As that section did not come off or even loose do you think I can just leave it and connect up the other 3 new parts and assume that gasket is still in good condition or do i pry it off and put the new paper type gasket on. thank you for you time and expertise
Attachments:

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 10 months ago #146700

YES!

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 10 months ago #146702

i hope that is a yes for, leave it alone. the old saying, if it 's not broken don't fix it. lol

thanks for checking in. if it ever stops raining I will get to it

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 10 months ago #146703

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113

joecffv@aol.com wrote: i hope that is a yes for, leave it alone. the old saying, if it 's not broken don't fix it. lol

thanks for checking in. if it ever stops raining I will get to it

Yeah, sometimes the plate that is against the block just falls off. In that case it's a good idea to replace the gasket.

Other times that sucker is just welded on there, and if there's no obvious signs of leakage, you can leave it well enough alone. And if you have any issues with it later on, you'll have the gasket to fix it anyway!

For the ones where the gasket gets welded onto the metal, it's a heck of a lot of scraping to get the surfaces clean. And likely that old gasket contains asbestos, so there's another good reason to leave it alone.

When I'm scraping gaskets (using a razor-blade-type of inexpensive paint scraper), I usually lubricate with WD-40. A few reasons for that; much less gasket dust (like none, usually), a bit of lube helps soften the gasket and the lubrication makes for smooth scraping with less tendency for the sharp blade to dig into the softer aluminum.

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 10 months ago #146704

good ideas never thought of that

thanks for taking time to look and comment

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 10 months ago #146724

I am getting ready to put the power head on but this rubber piece fell off from somewhere. Can you tell what and where it goes
Thank you
Everyone has been very helpful

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 10 months ago #146725

I am getting ready to put the power head on but this rubber piece fell off from somewhere. Can you tell what and where it goes
Thank you
Everyone has been very helpful
Attachments:

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 10 months ago #146726

I am getting ready to put the power head on but this rubber piece fell off from somewhere when i was cleaning the gasket area of the shaft housing. Can you tell what and where it goes
Thank you
Everyone has been very helpful.
Attachments:

problem connecting fuel line to parts 1 year 8 months ago #146982

just an update and after many helpful people giving very good suggestions I final have it running again and hope to actually get it in the water soon

video link here youtube.com/shorts/2usgBHYDaNA?feature=share

thank you to David Barnard for clearing up my last issue getting ir back together dealing with the lower shift shaft

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7942 guests and 4 members online