TOPIC: install of water pump seals

install of water pump seals 2 years 8 months ago #145220

• Eric Z
  • Eric Z's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi,
I'm replacing the impeller, gaskets, etc. on a '62-63 Merc 500. The old one had come apart and heated up to the point that the inner metal cup had heavy melted rubber residue. The kit came with the new gaskets, face plate and o rings. I also got the slinger.

Picture #1 is a diagram in the manual. It appears that once the housing is closed as I have it now, #32, they call an oil seal goes down the drive shaft against the upper housing, then the #36 slinger and then an upper ring #37.

When I took of the old housing, there was nothing above it but the old hardened slinger and then an o ring in the groove at the upper shaft, picture 4.

The actual photo in the book, picture #5 attached, just shows the slinger over the upper housing, no o ring.

WHAT ARE THE CORRECT PIECES TO USE AND WHERE DO THEY GO? Want to make sure it goes back together the correct way as it might not have been done right or the seals might have been destroyed.

Thank you,
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

install of water pump seals 2 years 8 months ago #145221

#37 is the o-ring that goes in the groove at the top of the driveshaft. Grease the driveshaft splines and this o-ring with excess when the time comes.
Install #37 last - after you have installed #36 (slinger), and initially #32.

I "THINK" #32 goes in the water pump top housing - above the stainless cup and below the top surface of the pump housing.
I'll try and confirm this tomorrow.
AND,...If you go forward on your own,...Be vary careful aligning the water tube into the center of its seal to insure you don't crush the seal and consequently loose water pressure. Lots to re-installing these lower units, so remember: Driveshaft splines need to be aligned with the crankshaft splines, the water tube needs to be aligned, and the shift shaft(s) (upper & lower) need to not only be in the same gear (Forward, Neutral, or Reverse, with Forward recommended in the manual), but also aligned.
The hardest part (IMHO) is getting the driveshaft started into the engine. Be attentive to keeping a parallel separation front to back, between the bottom of the driveshaft housing, or the top edge of the lower unit (front to back with equal separation distance).
doc

install of water pump seals 2 years 8 months ago #145228

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks doc, still working on where to place the oil seal, #32. I appreciate the reassembly suggestions.

install of water pump seals 2 years 8 months ago #145231

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
here are pictures of the #32 seal shown in the manual. I ordered it as it was in the manual but when I took the pump apart, there was nothing there that resembled it.

the only place it possible would fit is in the center of the impeller but then the smooth metal of the seal would ride against the metal of the inner cup.

after searching for how to videos on water pump and the blogs, there is never a mention of this seal. Its part # 26-32121. maybe it goes in the lower unit or elsewhere and the placement shown in the manual is wrong?

pictures 3 & 4 show it will fit in the top of the impeller but the shaft does not move freely when the housing is closed up. or possibly on the top of the housing grooves up, smooth against the housing and then the slinger on top of it? But again any reference pictures or videos do not show it.

input for correct placement or if it even belongs in the upper water pump assembly? (62-63 merc 500)

thank you
Attachments:

install of water pump seals 2 years 8 months ago #145235

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
There is no need for that oil seal on a later-style pump housing. Grease up the slinger ring with some waterproof boat bearing grease (such as Stay-Lube, etc) and slide it down until it hits the top of the pump housing. The slinger ring does a good job of keeping sand and other abrasive debris out of the top of the pump.

The original aluminum pump housing was machined to accept that seal but I guess Mercury decided it wasn't really doing much anyway, except wearing a groove in the driveshaft!

HTH.........ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric Z

install of water pump seals 2 years 8 months ago #145239

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Ed !
just want to make sure I was doing it right...
Eric

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7286 guests and one member online